Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16

swannanoa54

On the Ice
sk8addict said:
Don't you think there is a proble being injured for the entire SEASON?? AND she did skate at Marshall's which I would compare to Nutcracker on ice. Unfortunately I didn't get to see Bobeck but I would bet she didn't land any tripple top loops going forward. Waiting to many years to do difficulty again is what I'd bet the problem is. Riding on the 6'Os Michelle was doing more techical in 1998.

I wouldn't compare Marshalls to the Nutcracker on Ice because the Nutcracker was a tour, not a one time skate. Nicole "toured" with them and some say that is the reason the USFS didn't give her the bye. And had you seen Bobek you would realize that the USFS probably made a wise decision.

There are huge differences anyway. When Kerrigan came back and had to do her test skate, she wasn't at 100 percent. But by Olympics she was doing pretty darn good to win a silver medal (and I still think she should have been over Baiul). So I just don't see the comparisons with Bobek at all. And I don't see how a bye is unfair. Here we are, 12 years later, and now Kwan is trying to do the same thing that was essentially done to her when Kerrigan got the bye to skate on the Oly team.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Isn't there an alternate? (like MK in 1994?) They will most likely name MK to the team and then before the Olympic competition begins, if she is unable to skate the alternate will be able to fill in. I think it makes sense to put her on the team, as well as Sasha if she is injured - because the other girls do not have a great chance at a medal.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
sk8fanconvert said:
:clap: you are hilarious!:clap:

OFF TOPIC: will you please get a job with ABC/ESPN and do commentary?!

sk8fanconvert - THANKS, Where do I apply???!!! :laugh:

Freekatie - Of course, there'll be an alternate (most likely whoever captures the bronze medal at Natls). Given the gravity of Michelle's injury, that alternate stands a very, VERY good chance of eventually skating in the Olys, even though the ladies portion of the Olys happens at the very end of the Games. HOWEVER - the following scenario would be a real 'bummer' for that alternate: Michele is deemed fit to skate. Michele & the alternate both travel to Turin. Michele does well in practices & Team USA's doctor gives Michelle the thumbs-up. Michelle skates the SP but aggravates her injury & has to withdraw. SO THE ALTERNATE CANNOT STEP IN & TAKE OVER MICHELE'S SPOT FOR THE LONG PROGRAM.

In other words: I sure hope that the Team's doctors are absolutely certain that Michele can withstand the ENTIRE competition & not just the SP.

sk8addict

On the Ice
prove it

realistic51 said:
I wouldn't compare Marshalls to the Nutcracker on Ice because the Nutcracker was a tour, not a one time skate. Nicole "toured" with them and some say that is the reason the USFS didn't give her the bye. And had you seen Bobek you would realize that the USFS probably made a wise decision.

There are huge differences anyway. When Kerrigan came back and had to do her test skate, she wasn't at 100 percent. But by Olympics she was doing pretty darn good to win a silver medal (and I still think she should have been over Baiul). So I just don't see the comparisons with Bobek at all. And I don't see how a bye is unfair. Here we are, 12 years later, and now Kwan is trying to do the same thing that was essentially done to her when Kerrigan got the bye to skate on the Oly team.
Kerrigan had to prove she could skate 2 full programs. Kwan said at Marshall's she would be ready for Nationals. She's not. If she's ready for Olympics she should have to show she can skate. Kerrigans injury was not self inflicted. She was attacked. That was different. Kerrigan sure would not have beaten Baiul in COP. Nutcracker on Ice does not require jumps like a Marshall's does. It's playing a pretend role & being pretty..

Last edited:

sk8addict

On the Ice
thanks

Frau Muller said:
sk8fanconvert - THANKS, Where do I apply???!!! :laugh:

Freekatie - Of course, there'll be an alternate (most likely whoever captures the bronze medal at Natls). Given the gravity of Michelle's injury, that alternate stands a very, VERY good chance of eventually skating in the Olys, even though the ladies portion of the Olys happens at the very end of the Games. HOWEVER - the following scenario would be a real 'bummer' for that alternate: Michele is deemed fit to skate. Michele & the alternate both travel to Turin. Michele does well in practices & Team USA's doctor gives Michelle the thumbs-up. Michelle skates the SP but aggravates her injury & has to withdraw. SO THE ALTERNATE CANNOT STEP IN & TAKE OVER MICHELE'S SPOT FOR THE LONG PROGRAM.

In other words: I sure hope that the Team's doctors are absolutely certain that Michele can withstand the ENTIRE competition & not just the SP.
Thanks to you for stating the obvious!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

cianni

On the Ice
Chill Out Folks

Im sure the USFA , Michelle and the DR. will know whether Michelle is fit. Michelle said if she isnt 100% she would pull out and I have never seen her do anything that would question her integrity. How about this, Sasha or the 3rd skater gets injured before or during the OLYs will that be different then Kwan. I think in some fans minds that would be the case.I guess its OK to be injured unless your Kwan. Any skater can injure themselves at any time so dont get your hopes up that it will be Michelle it may be your favorite and you might get what you wish for. Let the process take its place. Sasha will win the Nats by default and some can now focus on that.

sk8addict

On the Ice

cianni said:
Im sure the USFA , Michelle and the DR. will know whether Michelle is fit. Michelle said if she isnt 100% she would pull out and I have never seen her do anything that would question her integrity. How about this, Sasha or the 3rd skater gets injured before or during the OLYs will that be different then Kwan. I think in some fans minds that would be the case.I guess its OK to be injured unless your Kwan. Any skater can injure themselves at any time so dont get your hopes up that it will be Michelle it may be your favorite and you might get what you wish for. Let the process take its place. Sasha will win the Nats by default and some can now focus on that.
There will be NO default champion. Sasha was bound to win the Nationals; Michelle in or not. Chelle HAS been injured ALL season. She would be lucky to be in the top 3 without the judges holding her up after being off the ice so long. She has not been able to get feedback from the judges on her programs like everyone else. She has only competed in COP once.Didn't you watch Marshall's? Kwan has NOT beaten Sasha in COP EVER!!!. You say CHILL OUT!!! You just unleashed the mother load! default indeed...you Kwanaddicts need to grow up. Kwan is not an Irina. No miracle comeback in the the near future. You don't love skating you only love Chelle & you are blinded by that love.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
cianni said:
Im sure the USFA , Michelle and the DR. will know whether Michelle is fit. .......

Yeah, and so will NBC and Coca-Cola. Let's not forget them. They'll be sure that Michele is fit enough to get on a plane to Italy, carry a flag, do the interview thing, keep viewers intersted & February 'sweeps month' ratings up.....:rofl:

nymkfan51

Medalist
They better give her a bye, is all I have to say.
I see no other lady (other than Sasha) who stands near as good a chance to medal as Michelle. Who? Alissa? ... Emily? ... Kimmie? Sorry folks, they have hardly made a case for themselves this season. Alissa is the only one who had any success at all, and even she crumbled when put up against the big guns.

Michelle won't go if she is not physcially able ... so to me this a no brainer.

Last edited:

kyla2

Final Flight
nymkf51

Not to worry, there is no way in the world they will not give her a "bye" if she wants it, and she does. I just hope and pray she can recover and skate but I am not counting on it. This has been one hell of a year as far as I am concerned.

cianni

On the Ice
Chill Out sk8addict

We wont see if Michelle can or cannot win Nats. unless you have a power greater the the rest of us and know, I sure dont know what I cant see. Sasha will win by default and I will LMAO if she loses but that wont happen because she will be gifted. You like Sasha,I like Kwan but without the competition with both there Sasha wins by default and that wont change because you unleash your Sasha gushwhich felt more like anger. No Michelle, she wins by default. End of conversation.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
cianni said:
No Michelle, she wins by default. End of conversation.

I'm not so sure of that. Alissa has artistry to rival Cohen's and a heck of a lot more natural personality & musicality out on the ice. Alissa also has more solid jumps. G-P Final was a fluke - as Uncle Dick often says "Every skater has to go through one trial by fire where she performs poorly." That was it for Alissa; now everyone watch out!

Unlike Sasha's trademarked "SashaSplatfests," which happen all too often. Let's not forget - Sasha had it "In the Bag" for the 2003 G-P Finals...Fumie beat her big time. I was there in the stands in Colorado & remember that night very well.

ANYTHING CAN & WILL HAPPEN IN ST. LOUIS!

sk8addict

On the Ice
CHill out with the Worlds resultsWorlds

cianni said:
We wont see if Michelle can or cannot win Nats. unless you have a power greater the the rest of us and know, I sure dont know what I cant see. Sasha will win by default and I will LMAO if she loses but that wont happen because she will be gifted. You like Sasha,I like Kwan but without the competition with both there Sasha wins by default and that wont change because you unleash your Sasha gushwhich felt more like anger. No Michelle, she wins by default. End of conversation.
Shasha BEAT Michelle the last time they competed. Sasha has improved since that time. I doubt Michelle has had that opportunity since she has been off the ice. I Liked Michelle for years...until she got distracted by school & life off the ice & then the rest of the world overcame her technically. Using default sounds like anger to me. I also like Allisa, Bebe, Yebin, Angela, Amber, Jenny Kirk & Jenny Don and Jane Bugavea, not to mention Stephanie Rosenthal.. I don't wrap my love of skating into one person. Maybe you are young & have grown up only knowing Kwan as your champion. There were great skaters before her & I have seen many of them go on to professional skating. It's not the end of the world. :) LMAO soulds like hate.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
There will be NO default champion. Sasha was bound to win the Nationals; Michelle in or not. Chelle HAS been injured ALL season. She would be lucky to be in the top 3 without the judges holding her up after being off the ice so long. She has not been able to get feedback from the judges on her programs like everyone else. She has only competed in COP once.Didn't you watch Marshall's? Kwan has NOT beaten Sasha in COP EVER!!!. You say CHILL OUT!!! You just unleashed the mother load! default indeed...you Kwanaddicts need to grow up. Kwan is not an Irina. No miracle comeback in the the near future. You don't love skating you only love Chelle & you are blinded by that love.
Only hope Sasha has the same confidance as you do. LOL. Otherwise she had no need to make a round at South Cal rinks (not only Lake Arrowhead) to scoop out the fields just before the Nationals, like she did last year.

sk8addict

On the Ice
smart

mzheng said:
Only hope Sasha has the same confidance as you do. LOL. Otherwise she had no need to make a round at South Cal rinks to scoop out the field before Nationals, like she did last year.
She was on the podium at the last worlds. Sound smart to me. I have several skater friends who never watch their competition. I don't get it? I would be at the boards every time I got a chance & by the tv as well.:love: skating

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Ditti Mzheng

Over confidence will get you every time. No Michelle I win. Might be her undoing but I think not she will be gifted no matter how she skates. I agree Alissa does rival Cohen but she isnt mentally tough yet and the judges wouldnt let her beat Cohen without Kwan they need Cohen to win. So win by default it is. I dont know who would win without the skater there to skate as some do. I also dont have a crystal ball to look in and see Cohen wins over Michelle. We will never know.

mzheng

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
She was on the podium at the last worlds. Sound smart to me. I have several skater friends who never watch their competition. I don't get it? I would be at the boards every time I got a chance & by the tv as well.:love: skating
Smart? or Lack of confidance? :rofl:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:

I swore I wasn't going to post on this thread (or any others for that matter) until after Nationals, but I just had to add my two cents based on this comment...

If Sasha had been injured, missed Nationals and pursued a bye to the Olympics, I believe the prevailing thought would be that Michelle would win Nationals by defualt as well... Much like '99(? - can't remember & no time to look it up...) with a somewhat flawed Arianne program, simply because the competition was weak without Tara or a new standout. This year's Nationals will mirror that... Competition without an equal is sorta like the whole bringing a knife to a gun fight analogy. I do appreciate Alyssia & Kimmie, but don't see either of these two as on the same level as Cohen or Kwan ~ but more as the future of US skating, IMHO.

Further, I don't see how its fair to say who would win Nationals this year... Nationals is the official sponsor of the "Kwan Lovefest." I'm not sure how one could say with all certainty, until Kwan's withdrawl yesterday, that Cohen was a shoo-in for a victory. That's not Kwan-obsession but historical fact (see '03, '04, '05 as evidence... ) But hey, now we will never know and guess what? Life goes on...

I can't help but add that I do feel a bit sad for Sasha... For years she's been heir apparent to the Nationals crown and the year she's finally the hands down favorite & should be receiving all the perks that go along with that, she doesn't because (or despite..) Kwan pulling out becomes the hottest skating topic & Sasha gets pushed aside once again...

Regardless, it should be quite an interesting couple of months in skateland...

swannanoa54

On the Ice
sk8addict said:

First of all, I never said the Nutcracker was like skating at Marshalls. However the USFS denied Bobek's bye. And I also am well aware of the circumstances surrounding Kerrigan's injury AND that she had to do both her programs in order to get the "bye" WHILE she was still not totally healed from the "whack".

You know something, what is with this "kwanaddicts need to grow up" stuff. I mean really. I realize you are addressing someone else with that pitiful post up there, but let's put this in perspective. Kwan is my favorite skater. I happen to like others as well. I've watched figure skating for a long time. Watched Peggy Fleming win her OGM, btw. I guess I don't need to grow up anymore than I already have, thankyouverymuch.:laugh:

I prefer to see Alissa win Nationals if Kwan isn't there because I happen to like Alissa and Emily and Bebe more than I like Sasha and her flexibility. And Kwan only finished by less than a point off the podium at Worlds in 2005, so I don't know what the problem is there.

I think Sasha will win Nationals. But never you, sk8addict, nor I will know, at this point, if Sasha could outskate Kwan despite her injury under COP at THIS Nationals. There's no way of knowing that and there won't be at this point in time. And I guess you haven't read many of the press releases where Kwan HAS had international judges come out and look at her programs. I realize it isn't the same as competition, but she HAS gotten feedback on her programs in order to better tweak them. I love it when people make statements about the judges holding Kwan up before the competition has even started.:laugh:

millie

Medalist
This is the mentality of the Kwanatics. The attack has begun. These past few post has nothing to do with Michelle, but the vendictist. Michelle is injured and cannot skate, why have a vendetta against Sasha? According to you guys, from here on in, who ever skates, will win by default because Michelle is injured and cannot skate. This means that whoever wins at the Olympics, wins by default because Mao cannot skate there. Give it a rest.