Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I read somewhere on the net that in Irina had to skate a "test" for her federation, her SP once and her LP twice to prove she was recovered, before they OK'ed her trip to Worlds.

mzheng

Record Breaker
tripleflutz said:
I read somewhere on the net that in Irina had to skate a "test" for her federation, her SP once and her LP twice to prove she was recovered, before they OK'ed her trip to Worlds.
If they grant her a bye, they'll have to monitor her progress too, like they did with Nancy's case back in 1994...grant 'bye' first, then monitoring progress which include observe her running throughs her SP and LP, then final 'OK'.

If they go strict by the rule, MK's case is argubly strong than Nancy's. Nancy's competion results since 1993 US Nationals:

1993 US Nationals 1st
1993 World Championships 5th
1993 Hershey's Kisses Pro-Am 2nd
1993 Piretten 1st
1993 AT&T Pro-Arm 1st
1994 US Nationals withdraw

So percisely only 1993 World Championships 5th finish was in the listed competetions IC will be considered.

Michelle finished 4th in previous World Champion.

So give the rules, give the precedence, MK's petition has a strong case, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
If they grant her a bye, they'll have to monitor her progress too, like they did with Nancy's case back in 1994...grant 'bye' first, then monitoring progress which include observe her running throughs her SP and LP, then final 'OK'.

If they go strict by the rule, MK's case is argubly strong than Nancy's. Nancy's competion results since 1993 US Nationals:

1993 US Nationals 1st
1993 World Championships 5th
1993 Hershey's Kisses Pro-Am 2nd
1993 Piretten 1st
1993 AT&T Pro-Arm 1st
1994 US Nationals withdraw

So percisely only 1993 World Championships 5th finish was in the listed competetions IC will be considered.

Michelle finished 4th in previous World Champion.

So give the rules, give the precedence, MK's petition has a strong case, IMO.

Nancy could have finished last in the Worlds the previous year and the USFS would have sent her anyway. Under that situation, the right thing to do was to send Nancy even if she couldn't skate well because if a competitor )or even a crazed fan) tries to take out a competitor, a message sould be sent that this behavior will not be tolerated and that that kind of action will not be honeored at all (by not sending her b/c she is not fit).

Michelle has a case and all I hope is that the magazine hype (Elle has a huge feature on her) isn't going to be factor in evaluating her.

As for other comments about the SP's and skating being crappy at Nats, if memory serves me right, it wasn't as if Sarah skated very well at Nats and she was the one who raised her performance to win the OGM.

flowjo35

On the Ice
soogar said:
Michelle has a case and all I hope is that the magazine hype (Elle has a huge feature on her) isn't going to be factor in evaluating her.

As for other comments about the SP's and skating being crappy at Nats, if memory serves me right, it wasn't as if Sarah skated very well at Nats and she was the one who raised her performance to win the OGM.

Not sure how Michelle being featured in a magazine will impact the committes evaluation on whether she gets a bye or not. Guidelines are in place for the decision to be made.

As for Sarah not skating great at Nationals but raising her performance at the olympics, there was also no one asking for a bye, so not exactly the same thing. The committe may be looking at the short and long programs of these skaters to make a decision on who best to send along with the guidelines they have in place.