Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Smart? or Lack of confidance? :rofl:

Mzheng... Play nice! ;)

Why do so many of the posts in this thread sound gleeful at the whole prospect of Michelle missing Nationals because of injury? Is it ok to wish ill of someone to ensure victory vs. wishing for healthy athletes to bring their A-games & let the best win? Don't we want the best to be their best & bring their best anymore or has "as long as my favorite wins & to hell with anybody standing in their way" become the new mantra amongst skating fans? Sorry, but that's a bit too Tanya Harding for me...:eek:hwell:

cianni

On the Ice
Ditto

Thats the point realistic51 we will never know. Sasha will win by default and as to Kwan without Sasha she would win as she has 9 times. To say Sasha would win over Kwan as a fact like she was bound to win is silly again we will never know. kwan did say she has Federation judges come to evaluate her programs and she has made some changes. The USFA needs a skater to hang their hat on so Sasha can do a average skate to win and no one else will be given that title. The Olys are open as in who would have predicted Hughes. The ice is slippery and its a hoot reading the Irina has already won or Sasha has this in the bag but Michelle no chance or shes over and it goes on and on. Keep Hughes in mind with flawed skating and underroated jumps walking away with OGM. I like Sarah as a person and admire her but not her skating . Dont be too sure of the OGM winner.

curious

Final Flight
millie said:
This is the mentality of the Kwanatics. The attack has begun. These past few post has nothing to do with Michelle, but the vendictist. Michelle is injured and cannot skate, why have a vendetta against Sasha? According to you guys, from here on in, who ever skates, will win by default because Michelle is injured and cannot skate. This means that whoever wins at the Olympics, wins by default because Mao cannot skate there. Give it a rest.

and everyone who does not agree with them is jealous of the PAST champ lol! They should look in the mirror before they talk about jealousy and bitterness as they have displayed alot of that everytime they talk about Irina the best PRESENT skater in the world and favorite for gold in Turino and Sasha the best PRESENT U.S. skater lol!:biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As to who's going to win- you just never know. We may think Cohen has it in the bag, but one just NEVER knows who's going to rise to the occasion on a given night.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Tod Eldredge stayed around longer than he should have & some young skater who could have gotten someOlympic experience didn't. USFSA kept 6.0 around longer than they should. What ever happened to going out on top & gracefully.

.......To do what? Stay a few years, let the younger skaters have an "Oly Experience", and do what? Ridiculous.......An athlete is under no obligation to bow out early to accomodate up and coming skaters. When you have years of experience under your "belt", then you can use that to further your career after eligible skating...........42

swannanoa54

On the Ice
millie said:
This is the mentality of the Kwanatics. The attack has begun. These past few post has nothing to do with Michelle, but the vendictist. Michelle is injured and cannot skate, why have a vendetta against Sasha? According to you guys, from here on in, who ever skates, will win by default because Michelle is injured and cannot skate. This means that whoever wins at the Olympics, wins by default because Mao cannot skate there. Give it a rest.

No, it isn't the "mentality of the Kwanatics". And I don't consider myself one of those because I like figure skating overall. And I get really tired of being labeled some kind of "kwanatic" by every non-fan out there. It's boring and childish.

Since Kwan first withdrew with her injured hip I knew this season was going to be very different. I also knew that this would be the year that Cohen won Nationals whether Kwan was there or not.

I don't understand, millie, why you can't "give it a rest" yourself. I mean, really, what does it matter if Kwan fans think the way they do. I certainly don't care how Cohen fans think. I'm not overly fond of Cohen's skating style and her flexibility, but I do think she, IF she skates the best at Nationals, deserves to win. I'm not going to go on television and say, "Well, if Kwan had been there..." however you can almost wonder if some sports commentator somewhere with nothing better to do does say that.

That certainly doesn't stop me from hoping Alissa wins though because I happen to like her style much better.

Kwanford Wife said:
Why do so many of the posts in this thread sound gleeful at the whole prospect of Michelle missing Nationals because of injury? Is it ok to wish ill of someone...:
That was my impression, too. Why all the meanness?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That was my impression, too. Why all the meanness?

MM,

Not sure but I would hazard a guess that Kwan Nation (which I prefer to the Kwaniac title) has been a bit too smug for most and now other fanz have decided that its our time to deal with the supposed pain of seeing the Kween dethroned... Unfortunately, that's just how sports fans can get... As a UofM fan, I'm sure you can remember the drama when OSU went to the National Championship game vs. Wolverines.

Whatever floats your boat ...

euterpe

Medalist
millie said:

What is a "vendictist"? I looked it up in my 2700-page Webster's New International Dictionary, but didn't find it.

There is no question that Sasha will win Nationals, because Kwan was her only real competition. I don't see anything wrong with saying that. I believe Sasha herself once said that winning Nationals over Kwan was far preferable to winning Nationals in Kwan's absence, because it would have more meaning for her.

If Sasha believes that winning a Kwanless Nationals isn't as good as winning Nationals by defeating Kwan, why should Sasha fans take umbrage over the same thought?

I am not one of those who believe that the OGM winner will have an asterisk because of Mao's absence. I don't think there will be an asterisk next to Sasha's Nationals win, but I do think when you look at lists of competitors at US Nationals from 1995 through this year, 1999, 2001 and 2006 stand out as the years when the winner had no close competition. All of the years from 1995 on other than those three years were exciting competitions where the winner was by no means a sure thing.

millie

Medalist
euterpe said:
What is a "vendictist"? I looked it up in my 2700-page Webster's New International Dictionary, but didn't find it.

euterpe, "vendictist"-means any bitter quarrel or feud, look under "vendetta"
Webster's New World College Dictionary.:) :)

euterpe

Medalist
The Webster's New International Dictionary is a better source than your college dictionary. I looked under "VENDETTA" and there was no such word as "vendictist". I tried to look up the word in yourdictionary.com, but I got this message: 'Sorry, no words matching "vendictist" were found.'

I think you must have missed the correct spelling of whatever word you were trying to use. Was it possibly "VINDICTIVE"?

I don't get any sort of feelings of a 'vendetta' or vindictiveness reading this board. If anything, most of the posts have been nastily suggesting that Kwan not be allowed to go to Torino, if not actually rejoicing at her injury and/or gloating at her absence from Nationals.

millie

Medalist
euterpe, The correct spelling is vendettist. I should have looked up the correct spelling before I posted.:)

mzheng

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
That certainly doesn't stop me from hoping Alissa wins though because I happen to like her style much better.
Alisa is not ready yet, imo. May be given another year.....It's sasha's to lose this year.

This post is getting too much tempers going.

I believe it was started by a non fan of Kwan who sees the skater down in the dumps and then kicks her, The defenders of Kwan, I think, should have left that be. The nonfan has been waiting a long time for this.

Kwan will not be a contestant at the 2006 US Nats due to injury. There are many fans of figure skating who are delighted with that news. Some fans of Sasha are disappointed that Kwan will not be there because it seems this will be the year Sasha would win it and to win it without Kwan is not the same. We must wait to see the competition and applaud the winner.

The more serious matter here is the question of the bye. Those same fans of figure skating who are delighted with the news of Kwan's injuries and her inability to skate the Nationals will, of course, be in the forefront in hoping she does not get a bye. This is the year for those nonKwans to celebrate. they have indeed been waiting a long time. Whether Kwan gets the bye or not, they will be attacking Irina right after the Euros.

All this drivel signifies nothing unexpected.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
.......To do what? Stay a few years, let the younger skaters have an "Oly Experience", and do what? Ridiculous.......An athlete is under no obligation to bow out early to accomodate up and coming skaters. When you have years of experience under your "belt", then you can use that to further your career after eligible skating...........42

No, an athlete doesn't have to step aside, however Todd has been held up/rewarded by US judges for years at the expense of younger athletes (some like Mark Mitchell totally missing a shot at the Games). Michelle has already gone to 2 Olympics. Unlike Todd, she didn't even medal in the previous worlds and her skates at those worlds were downright mediocre. She hasn't actively competed in GP events in 3 years. Other than her Nationals results and her fourth place finish, what has she done to warrant putting her on the team? The reality check is that she is very unlikely to medal in these Olympics. She has already gone and medaled at two previous Olympics. Now I can see putting her on the team if the third place finisher had a mediocre performance. However I don't think that her lack of experience under COP is going to help her at the Olympics. Not when you have a bunch of US girls who are competing under COP and are comfortably performing COP worthy programs.

And Sasha has beaten Michelle numerous times internationally. Michelle might own nationals, but Sasha's results speak for themselves and bode very well for the Olympics.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I think a lot depends on how the 2nd and 3rd ladies perform and where would they place.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Here's hoping Michelle is healthy and fit to skate great programs at the olympics if they put her on the team. Go luck to you Michelle.:)

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Soogar - the lady is injured.

Joe

So she has a shot of winning a medal in the games with an injury? She couldn't win a medal at worlds under COP when she was healthy. Now she thinks she can win a medal at the games doing a COP friendly program (which she hasn't done yet) while dealing with an injury that severely cut her training time. She had a whole season last year to get a COP friendly program and presumably she was healthy and couldn't do it. Now she expects to do it with only a month of training?