Figure Skating On TV | Golden Skate

Figure Skating On TV

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
As a member of the USFSA I get a subscription to "Skating" magazine.

One of the articles in the magazine talks about ABC and skating coverage. David Raith is the new U.S. Figure Skating Executive Director. He has a television background. During a recent board meeting the buzz was about the newest idea in figure skating programming: Here is a quote from the magazine.

" Prime time telecasts consisting of the final EIGHT or TEN skaters in each senior discipline at the State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships."
"To ensure the most dramatic and impactful programing-and to ensure an even larger live attendance-the concept of featuring the top skaters in an exciting three-hour session is a powerful one." "This format would provide exciting, solely live programming throughout the telecast."

"Another idea to spruce up television coverage and attract new fans to the sport includes placing a microphone on coaches to capture their emotions during competition."

I think the idea of showing more then the top six skaters will be a plus for us skating fans. It would be nice if the concept carried over to the Worlds and Olympics too.

Sounds good...I've always wanted to see more than the top 5 or 6 (sometimes less) top skaters in the big competitions. How else do we get to see who the "up and comers" are if they don't show some of the lower seeded skaters!
I'm not too sure about putting mic's on the coaches tho...

Spirit

On the Ice
I think they should put microphones on the skaters so we can hear them grunt and stuff.

Seriously, I'm extremely happy to hear this, so thanks for the info. I'm going to hold onto this straw that U.S. skating television won't go the way of gymnastics, whose world championships went completely untelevised here in the U.S. last month despite having a powerful U.S. team -- in a year immediately following the Olympics, no less. (But when it comes to spelling bees and poker, ESPN is on the job. Go ESPN! :no: )

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
you should be happy you get to see any figure skating at all..some of us aren't that lucky (people in sweden for instance.. :p) the last olympics, the swedish channels showed curling instead of the figure skating! thank god for eurosport..:clap:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Raith, also, thinks having the fans phone in votes at the Cheesefests is a good idea. Figure skatings answer to American Idol.