The Nitpickers and the Champ | Golden Skate

The Nitpickers and the Champ

J

Joesitz

The Nitpickers and the Champ

<em>He's a Nitpick, she's a Nitpick, I'm a Nitpicker, too.</em>

When Irina won her first gold at GP Finals, I was an incredible nitpicker! How could she win the gold with that clubfoot spiral? But she did! Imo, she had the worst spirals of the top echelon of lady figure skaters.

As for Michelle, nothing new here. It is more or less expected there will be summertime nitpicking. There's the wrong costume (yellow), wrong music (Sheh), the speed, the slow spins, the lack of 3/3s, the abandoning of Frank, the cross over footwork. You name it. This Lady should never win. But she does.

Should we stop nitpicking? Of course not. By the way, Irina did indeed improve that spiral and now has nicely pointed toes.
Michelle has picked up speed although I still dislike her costumes.

We could talk about underrotated jumps, but let's not. That Lady has other plans and those jumps were fabulous at SLC.

Ya gotta admit, these 3 ladies win gold, don't they?

Joe

D

Dee4707

Re: The Nitpickers and the Champ

Aw Joe, I never thought of you as a nitpicker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee

L

Lucy25

We could nitpick on your obvious poor taste of ladies skating dresses. :D

J

Joesitz

Dee - I am a card carrying nitpicker as you already know :lol:

Lucy - My fashion knowledge is limited. I have not seen a decent dress on MK. Uh, maybe one.

Joe

L

Lucy25

Ok, you can't leave me hanging-which one?

J

Joesitz

I think it was a light blue one. Regal without being gaudy.

Joe

T

tharrtell

One dress, Joe? How can that be? Yeah, I know style is personal, but IMO, MK is one of the best dressed ladies out there. Rach 1 & 2, SOTBS Worlds, The Feeling Begins, Lyra, MM, Ariane - were beautiful - simple yet flattering. Not a wing, feather, excess of sequins, or piece of ripped TP in sight!

M

mathman444

The light blue one -- you've got to mean the Lyra Angelica dress, right Joe?

Tharrtell, Oh yeah, the dusty rose Feeling Begins dress!

OT -- If you're into simple elegance, I think Jennifer Robinson is always beautifully dressed on or off the ice.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Jennifer did look good at Worlds, Mathman. It's the fit more than the colors, and she is so elegant.

Joe

L

Ladskater

Joe:

Stop the nickpicking! Leave it to the coaches and judges!

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

Lad - In summertime, the Forum is full of nitpicking. It helps to get us through the summer months and into Fall skating season.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Hey, we wouldn't be true-blue skating fans if we did not engage in a little bit of nitpicking occasionally. As long as were aren't bashing the skaters personally, I think we have the floor to express our views.

OK....so when is Timothy Goebel going to develop some true artistry to go with his awesome jumping skills? The Quad King won't win a World title on jumps alone, not unless the rest of the field self-destructs on the ice. Timothy needs to straighten his back, improve his carriage, and skate to the music. He's working with Lori Nichol, right? Look what she did with Michelle Kwan! Come on, Tim, let's go for it.

OK...so when is Michael Weiss going to skate a clean long program without splattering all over ice with botched quad and triple axel attempts? He's 27 years old, for Pete's sake.
When is he going to learn how to execute his jumps? How many years will he remain in the game before he gets it right?

OK....so when is Sasha Cohen going to pull it all together -- her lovely artistry and powerful jumping -- to dominate women's figure skating? She has the talent to be the World champion through the 2006 Olympics and to win the Olympic gold medal, too. But when is she going to stop blowing long programs? When will she develop the mental toughness to handle the pressure so she can skate winning programs?

Anybody have any answers?

P

Piel

<strong>HAIR STYLES</strong>

The ladies...this is what you do, so PLEASE get a hairstyle that looks neat and attractive while skating. Lose the little clippies and visible bobbi pins. :mad: If you wear bangs keep them trimmed. Grow out layers so that if you put your hair up in a pony tail or bun you don't have little pieces of hair sticking out around the edges. 99% of the time skaters look best with either short hair (Irina) or if hair is longer up in a bun (Michelle). Why spend all of that money on costumes and then come out with messy hair. Thank goodness the mousse horns have gone out of style!

Piel

K

kirkyo

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">OK....so when is Sasha Cohen going to pull it all together -- her lovely artistry and powerful jumping -- to dominate women's figure skating? She has the talent to be the World champion through the 2006 Olympics and to win the Olympic gold medal, too. But when is she going to stop blowing long programs? When will she develop the mental toughness to handle the pressure so she can skate winning programs?</blockquote>

Beyond nerves, I am wondering if some additional leg strength might help. She does not get up very high in her jumps and has to rotate very quickly to complete the revolutions. Sometimes it seems that her legs are wobbly on her landings and she is unable to stop the rotation. If she were stronger, she could jump higher, not have to rotate as quickly, and have an easier time with the landings. Am I wrong here?

OTOH, I appreciate how technically superior her programs are and if she trips in the footowork or falls out of a spin, so be it.

I am wondering what the judges will do this coming year with the flutz issue provided it does not improve? I'm not sure how it all fits in with the COP either.

B

BronzeisGolden02

Nitpick!

LOL, what would we do during the summer if we didn't have the option of nitpicking? I agree with almost everything that has been stated. Sasha needs to pull a Nancy Kerrigan and gain some ground in mental toughness and Michael Weiss needs to DO something (I'm not exactly sure what, but landing the jumps sounded like a great beginning!). As for Michelle's dresses, I've always thought they were simple and elegant. The only one I can think of that I really didn't like was the uranium pee yellow one she wore at Skate America last year. It was almost painful to stare directly at that dress! It looked much better in red. I loved her long program dress this year as well as the short, but my favorites are still 1)Black dress from "Miraculous Mandarin" and 2)Ice blue dress from "Lyra Angelica".

BTW, I'll also take back a nitpick that I had from last season and the pre-season. I was really sort of down on Timothy Goebel. I just felt he was struggling and would never be prepared for Worlds. He proved me wrong and skated his Worlds LP with a surge of flair I never expected. I now firmly believe he has the mental strength and will to better himself artistically and deliver.

A

alicelouise

the fashion sense of MK

I would never put Michelle Kwan's skating dresses on "the Best Dressed list". That being said, ALL of the Russians (men, women, pairs, and dancers) have the worst fashion sense I've ever seen. If you say giraffe shirts, miles of illusion fabric, wrong cut dresses that make thighs look chunky, and Liberace cast off ruffled shirts are better than what Michelle has worn in the past; I will be amazed at your opinion.

Some Yanks have given the Russians a run for their money. Tonya Harding in sea green foam skating to Batman and ZZ Top was-uh-an incongruous pairing. Ditto for the sequined dress and Jurraisic Park.

E

Excidra2001

Re: the fashion sense of MK

Michelle's skating dresses look beautiful when compared to the Russians but other then that it ain't working for me.
As for nitpicking, as much as I like Sasha, I still nitpick her
skating. I could never understand how she places so well in the SP with that horrid flutz.
I think it's okay and as a poster above stated as long you don't bash them.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Re: Re: The Nitpickers and the Champ

SkateFan4Life said:
Hey, we wouldn't be true-blue skating fans if we did not engage in a little bit of nitpicking occasionally. As long as were aren't bashing the skaters personally, I think we have the floor to express our views.

OK....so when is Timothy Goebel going to develop some true artistry to go with his awesome jumping skills? The Quad King won't win a World title on jumps alone, not unless the rest of the field self-destructs on the ice. Timothy needs to straighten his back, improve his carriage, and skate to the music. He's working with Lori Nichol, right? Look what she did with Michelle Kwan! Come on, Tim, let's go for it.

OK...so when is Michael Weiss going to skate a clean long program without splattering all over ice with botched quad and triple axel attempts? He's 27 years old, for Pete's sake.
When is he going to learn how to execute his jumps? How many years will he remain in the game before he gets it right?

OK....so when is Sasha Cohen going to pull it all together -- her lovely artistry and powerful jumping -- to dominate women's figure skating? She has the talent to be the World champion through the 2006 Olympics and to win the Olympic gold medal, too. But when is she going to stop blowing long programs? When will she develop the mental toughness to handle the pressure so she can skate winning programs?

Anybody have any answers?

Loved the post! While we are nitpicking, I still can't get over how much I disliked Sarah's red nationals dress. It was just so awful!