Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sasha: coronation or upset in St. Louis?

Down With It

What is WOL?

Sorry for asking...but I don't know...

Custom Title

A Ten

No question about it, a ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Sorry for asking...but I don't know...
    I think it's WOW. As in, Sasha is going to wow us in St. Louis!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I think it's WOW. As in, Sasha is going to wow us in St. Louis!
    You are so right to correct me. WOW is what I meant to say, I should not have been writing anything at that time of the morning.

Rinkside
    [QUOTE=dancindiva03]I'd put her chance at walking away with gold at about a 5. It is quite possible that she could at last put it all together when it really matters. More likely though is that she will have her usual SashaSplatFest. But if Alissa skates up to her capability and Kimmie manages to fully rotate her 3A and a 3-3, I

I disagree that Sasha has "splatfest"--she seldom falls three times as did Alissa in a few comptetitions this season--also Kimmie...so saying if "alissa skates up to her capability" would be more of a question--if "Alissa controls her splatfests, she could win" and then probably only is Sasha has a mistake. If all skate clean, Sasha will win--if all make mistakes, Sasha will wn. If Sasha makes a mistake, and Kimmie and Alissa don't, they have a change to win depending on the quality of their skate (i.e. a slow cautious skate, even in no faults might not do it.)

Just unfair to label Sasha as unable to lay down clean skates when the other two have had downright disastrous skates to go with the good skates--in my mind no more predictable than Sasha.

I think Sasha is more seasoned than Alissa. I do think Alissa is a better free skater than Sasha but she doesn't have the past experience that Sasaha has.

Sasha will not be as nervouse because she is basically assured a spot on the team regardless of her placement.

Joe

Banned
    [QUOTE=donnar0226]
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    I'd put her chance at walking away with gold at about a 5. It is quite possible that she could at last put it all together when it really matters. More likely though is that she will have her usual SashaSplatFest. But if Alissa skates up to her capability and Kimmie manages to fully rotate her 3A and a 3-3, I

I disagree that Sasha has "splatfest"--she seldom falls three times as did Alissa in a few comptetitions this season--also Kimmie...so saying if "alissa skates up to her capability" would be more of a question--if "Alissa controls her splatfests, she could win" and then probably only is Sasha has a mistake. If all skate clean, Sasha will win--if all make mistakes, Sasha will wn. If Sasha makes a mistake, and Kimmie and Alissa don't, they have a change to win depending on the quality of their skate (i.e. a slow cautious skate, even in no faults might not do it.)

Just unfair to label Sasha as unable to lay down clean skates when the other two have had downright disastrous skates to go with the good skates--in my mind no more predictable than Sasha.
    The difference being that Sasha has much more experience than either Alissa or Kimmie, she nore than the other two should be used to skating under pressure and be able to deal with it.. Alissa is not known for her consistancy, and I never said she was, BUT she turned in four very solid performances at SA and SC, what I was saying is that if she skates and Nats the way she did there she could be placed ahead of Sasha WHEN Sasha makes her usual mistakes. I NEVER said that I expect Alissa to skate clean, but she has shown that she can do it and if she does, she could beat Sasha.

Medalist

Helloooo, anybody out there?

I haven't read the whole thread..but helloooo...remember that Michelle did NOT win a gold at 2 different Olys, even when she was highly favored in at least the first one? Of course Sasha could "lose" by not winning the title.

RAMBLINGS: That said, I HOPE she does win the National title b/c, (like one or two other great American or Canadian skaters that I can think of who never "won" the thing they wanted most) she has a distinctive style and has put her "mark" forever as a stylist, artiste, or whatever you want to call it.....on competitive figure skating REGARDLESS of whether she ever wins a title or steps blade on the ice ever again. BUT, I don't think anything is a "given" in this business....remember--omg--we are talking about FIGURE SKATING, not bobsledding, or some similar "timed" event. IT has happened too often in skating championships of every sort that someone has a bad day on the very day that the next guy has his best never-to-be-repeated performance...and there is a huge upset. I don't think Sasha is in danger of NOT going to the Olympics, but yes, someone else could win the National title. Especially consider this...Sasha will have ALL the pressure on her to win, and no one else really has that...they have hopes and support from people all over, but they are "free" from expectation at this moment and Sasha is not. It's sort of the "recipe" for the unpressured guy to bust loose with that once-in-a-lifetime performance now, isn't it?

Custom Title
    I'm at an 8. But I wanted to ask this.

What if (and it's a HUGE "if") Cohen doesn't pull it together because she has this title this year? What IF three other skaters by some unforeseen circumstance should outskate her completely leaving her in 3rd or 4th place? (Ok, that will NOT happen, but the ice is always slippery) What happens then to our Olympic team? The Champion is the only one guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. The others are picked as we know.

So do they then give Kwan her "bye" based on their monitoring or tests whichever they are going to do. That leaves one place open. Do they then choose Cohen, which is the smart thing to do, instead of one of the three that outskated her? I was just thinking about this and wondering if Cohen might skate like she did at the '02 Olympics and would that hurt her.

Anyhow, I'm at an 8 with the 2 leftover being for the "upset".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Well, the door may have been open in the past, but it's WIDE open this time.
    Yes, WIDE open. Never has Sasha been the "favorite" without Michelle. She said the Olpmpics has more pressure... hahaha

We'll see.

Meanwhile, Kimmie, Alissa and Bebe, Katy... are hungry. Bless the best and keep them on their feet.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    Meanwhile, Kimmie, Alissa and Bebe, Katy... are hungry. Bless the best and keep them on their feet.
    Hmm... although unlikely, I wonder what the USFSA would do if Katy were to win, followed by Emily and Bebe? Would the USFSA really send Katy (per its rules about an automatic spot for the Nats champion) and favor Emily and Bebe over Sasha, Alyssa, Kimmie, or Michelle (with a bye) for the two other Olympic spots? Would the USFSA think that an Olympic team composed of Katy, Emily, and Bebe more likely give the US more chances of medaling over a team composed of Sasha, Alyssa, Kimmie, or Kwan?

Custom Title
    I don´t think that Sasha will be skating any differently now that Kwan is not there. After all, this is not the most important competition of the year. Sasha just needs to skate well enough to be selected for the team. Of course it would be great if Sasha wins at US Nationals, but it is not a good idea to go all out and give one´s best performance of the season at US Nationals...
    Last edited by Jaana; 01-08-2006 at 06:12 AM.

Custom Title
    IMHO Sasha is a lock for the title. The only remote scenario that could upset that is if she has a MAJOR meltdown (a la Kwan i 97) COMBINED with a career-making performance by one of the other ladies. The chances of both those things happening is not very high.

And Sasha has never had a meltdown at Nationals. She's always made an error, but only one or two. Frankly, I think she has a comfortable 1 fall advantage even if the other ladies skate perfectly. Of course it's COP, but the PCS is subjective and will rule the day in Sasha's favor if she gives a sub-par technical performance.

I disagree with Jaana about the importance of U.S. Nationals to Sasha's career. Considering how well Irina is skating, the Olympic championship is a long shot for Sasha, nor is there any guarantee about Worlds. IMHO it would be a big boost for Sasha's long-term prospects to have at least one major championship on her resume, and this (U.S. Nationals) is probably her best chance.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by havanamesa1
    Hmm... although unlikely, I wonder what the USFSA would do if Katy were to win, followed by Emily and Bebe? Would the USFSA really send Katy (per its rules about an automatic spot for the Nats champion) and favor Emily and Bebe over Sasha, Alyssa, Kimmie, or Michelle (with a bye) for the two other Olympic spots?
    Hehe, I hope that's exactly what happens. Out with the old, in with the new! I'm tired of the same-old Kimmie and Alissa. Give the new kids a chance.

MM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast