Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sasha: coronation or upset in St. Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    And Sasha has never had a meltdown at Nationals. She's always made an error, but only one or two. Frankly, I think she has a comfortable 1 fall advantage even if the other ladies skate perfectly.
    This is my thinking also -- it would take 2 major mistakes (falls) from Sasha plus a career-making, perfect skate from someone else for an upset. The chance of one of these things happening is somewhat unlikely but possible; the chance of both happening is remote. The situation reminds me of 1999 U.S. Nationals, when Michelle Kwan was clearly the class of the field and had no serious competition for the title.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 01-08-2006 at 05:31 PM.

SkateFan4Life
    Let's face it, if Sasha does NOT win at Nationals this year, she will have nobody but herself to blame. She has been the perpetual bridesmaid to Michelle at Nationals, coming close but not quite winning the title, and now that Michelle has withdrawn, the path is clear for her to win.

The judges expect Sasha to win, the fans expect Sasha to win, the media expects Sasha to win, the USFSA expects Sasha to win, most likely all of her competitors expect Sasha to win, and Sasha herself expects to win.

On a scale of 1 to 10 - she's a 10.

Banned
    In the arms of my beloved Richard Kruspe.
    This thread should be called, Sasha; coronation or condemnation.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Muffin~
    This thread should be called, Sasha; coronation or condemnation.
    OK, I get your drift, but I don't think anybody here is condemming Sasha. We are just expressing our opinions on this subject.

What if (and it's a HUGE "if") Cohen doesn't pull it together because she has this title this year? What IF three other skaters by some unforeseen circumstance should outskate her completely leaving her in 3rd or 4th place?
    I don't think the USFS would let that happen. The judges would inflate her scores enough to keep her on the podium. I have no doubt about that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Let's face it, if Sasha does NOT win at Nationals this year, she will have nobody but herself to blame. She has been the perpetual bridesmaid to Michelle at Nationals, coming close but not quite winning the title, and now that Michelle has withdrawn, the path is clear for her to win.

The judges expect Sasha to win, the fans expect Sasha to win, the media expects Sasha to win, the USFSA expects Sasha to win, most likely all of her competitors expect Sasha to win, and Sasha herself expects to win. .
    This is exactly why I believe problems may develop. Sasha has never really Been the favorite, the "one to beat". Never a National champion with others chasing her for the title.

Her composure in this place has never been tested. Being perfectly practiced is one thing, but to deal with this type of pressure is nothing John Nicks can teach

You have to believe all the skaters recognize this and are hungry for a title..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    This is exactly why I believe problems may develop. Sasha has never really Been the favorite, the "one to beat". Never a National champion with others chasing her for the title.
    Actually I believe many were picking her to win both the 2004 Nationals and Worlds. At the very least, if she was not the favorite going in, she became the favorite after winning the short program for both events, and she faltered under the pressure in the long both times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    Actually I believe many were picking her to win both the 2004 Nationals and Worlds. At the very least, if she was not the favorite going in, she became the favorite after winning the short program for both events, and she faltered under the pressure in the long both times.
    Duly noted> I'll clarify. Sasha has never been the Champion, the one to beat.
    Only the favorite to beat the Champion.

Banned
    Duly noted> I'll clarify. Sasha has never been the Champion, the one to beat.
    Only the favorite to beat the Champion.
    Fair enough.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    Things were different in 2004. She had just split from Tarosava. She had come off 2 bad competitions in Marshall's and GPF. Her confidence level wasn't really that high. She didn't have a total meltdown in either of those performances. That is a minor faulter under pressure. The same performances will win her Nats this year. I also have to think that Sasha has learned from those experiences.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LBC
    Things were different in 2004. She had just split from Tarosava. She had come off 2 bad competitions in Marshall's and GPF. Her confidence level wasn't really that high. She didn't have a total meltdown in either of those performances. That is a minor faulter under pressure. The same performances will win her Nats this year. I also have to think that Sasha has learned from those experiences.
    Hmmm, what was the excuse for 2005, 2003, 2002 ? 2006 might be something as, "due to my injury, I didn''t skate in many competitions".

Sasha's nerves have never been tested like this. The fact that this is an Olympic year as well, can only increase the pressure.

Down With It
    Sasha's nerves have never been tested like this. The fact that this is an Olympic year as well, can only increase the pressure.
    That's my entire point.

Having pressure is normal. Dealing with pressure is where the skater is at.

Joe

SkateFan4Life

Her composure in this place has never been tested. Being perfectly practiced is one thing, but to deal with this type of pressure is nothing John Nicks can teach

You have to believe all the skaters recognize this and are hungry for a title..
    I respectfully disagree with you. Sasha was the favorite in 2004, as she had won the short program, and she pretty much threw away the title with a sloppy long program. She was also favored to win the World title that year, as she again won the short program, but she made several errors in her long program and had to settle for the silver medal.

Sasha has an unfortunate record of succumbing to pressure and not handling her nerves well. As a result, she tends to make a few errors in her long programs, just enough errors to keep her out of first place. Please, I'm not criticizing the girl, I'm just stating the facts.

Sasha will go into Nationals as the overwhelming favorite, as a multi-time National medalist, and two-time World silver medalist. How she handles this pressure will probably determine which medal she takes home next week.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    I respectfully disagree with you. Sasha was the favorite in 2004, as she had won the short program, and she pretty much threw away the title with a sloppy long program. She was also favored to win the World title that year, as she again won the short program, but she made several errors in her long program and had to settle for the silver medal.

Sasha has an unfortunate record of succumbing to pressure and not handling her nerves well. As a result, she tends to make a few errors in her long programs, just enough errors to keep her out of first place. Please, I'm not criticizing the girl, I'm just stating the facts.

Sasha will go into Nationals as the overwhelming favorite, as a multi-time Nationa
    l medalist, and two-time World silver medalist. How she handles this pressure will probably determine which medal she takes home next week.
    I will respectfully repeat myself " Sasha has NEVER been the US Champion, the "one to beat". She has perinneially been the favorite to challenge MIchelle.

This week no Michelle, Sasha has NEVER been in this position, she has no experience with nerves, pressure and expectations as the she is this week.

We and She cannot know how she will handle all that..until Thursday evening. I expect a bang of a short program and then... ???

Now to anyone else, I cannot possible stress any more that Sashs has never been the Champion, don't we know this? The Champion is always "the one to beat".

Regards,

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast