Circumstances of Bye or not Bye | Golden Skate

Circumstances of Bye or not Bye

Linny

Final Flight
Please don't let this question get buried under more MK bye speculation - we've got, what, 3? other threads for that.

What I'm wondering is

Which athletes have applied for a bye in the past? Under what circumstances? Which were awarded, which were not? Did the USFSA ever publish official reasons for awarding or not awarding these?

Linny

JOHIO2

Medalist
Linny,
the easiest way to answer your questions is to refer you to the USFSA articles about Michelle's withdrawal and petition for the Olympic Team.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=32500

At the end of that article is a link to the rules for naming Olymp team and rules for bye.

The last byes were Nancy Kerrigans' bye to the 1994 Olympics and Todd Eldredge's bye to the 1992 Olympics.

JOHIO2 said:
The last byes were Nancy Kerrigans' bye to the 1994 Olympics and Todd Eldredge's bye to the 1992 Olympics.
And at that time Michelle Kwan was bumped off the Olympic Team.

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
Christopher Bowman received a bye in 1992, resulting in Mark Mitchell being left off the Olympic team, and then Paul Wylie being left off the World team in favour of Mitchell. Anytime I've heard of byes being granted, they have been due to illness or injury that was expected to be healed by Olympics/Worlds. It's only top level skaters who have had good World results that I have ever seen get byes. Cynthia Phaneuf just pulled out of Canadians due to injury, and she doesn't seem to have the results to support a bye, even if she were healthy enough for one.

millie

Medalist
Do anyone know the answer to this . Nicole was injured and because she skated in an ice show, they refused a bye for the Olympics. Michelle is injured, she skated at Marshalls and hasn't skated in any competition all year, now she is injured again. Will, because she skated at Marshalls, play any part in their decision to give her a bye for the Olympics?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Antilles said:
Christopher Bowman received a bye in 1992, resulting in Mark Mitchell being left off the Olympic team, and then Paul Wylie being left off the World team in favour of Mitchell.

Wasn´t that Eldredge who got a bye in 1992?

millie said:
Do anyone know the answer to this . Nicole was injured and because she skated in an ice show, they refused a bye for the Olympics. Michelle is injured, she skated at Marshalls and hasn't skated in any competition all year, now she is injured again. Will, because she skated at Marshalls, play any part in their decision to give her a bye for the Olympics?
Don't you think Michelle was forced into that Marshalls by the USFS because Marshalls is a big sponsor of USFS?

Antilles

Medalist
Jaana, I could be wrong about it being Bowman who go the bye in '92. Someone else will have to confirm that. Who won U.S. Nationals in '92?

Mafke

Medalist
IIRC Bowman won nationals in 92 and Eldridge got the bye to the olympics and worlds teams (general justification was his podium placement the year before gave the US 3 skaters in the first place) and Wylie and Mitchell split oly's and worlds.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:

First, Nicole was denied a bye for Worlds, not Olys. Second, the Marshall's event was a USFSA -sponsored event; the USFSA had been marketing Michelle's presence; and the USFSA got the money -- none of which applied in Nicole's case. IMO, that Michelle did Marshall's strengthens the idea of "the USFSA owes her"

Also, the US ladies have 3 spots at Olys because Michelle and Sasha's combined placements. If the two ladies at Worlds in Moscow had been Sasha and Jenny, the US could only send 2 ladies to Oly.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
millie said:
I don't think so because the injury she had pre-Marshalls is not the same one that is keeping her out of nats. It was her hip that was the problem up through Marshalls and she was on the road to recovery during that competition. She said her hip is 100% fine. Its a new injury (groin) that is keeping her out of Nats, so I don't see how they can hold it against her that she competed at Marshalls.

BravesSkateFan said:
I don't think so because the injury she had pre-Marshalls is not the same one that is keeping her out of nats. It was her hip that was the problem up through Marshalls and she was on the road to recovery during that competition. She said her hip is 100% fine. Its a new injury (groin) that is keeping her out of Nats, so I don't see how they can hold it against her that she competed at Marshalls.
You have to understand those figure skating fans who are against Kwan getting a bye will think up as much as they can to keep her from getting that bye. And why not? It's time for the over exposed skater to step down. There are many fans who are tired of Kwan. This is their jubilee!! Let it ride.

Interesting points Attnyfan - One could argue that the USFS owes her a favor for dragging her out to skate the Marshalls despite the pain. I doubt the above group I mentioned above would go along with that.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
You have to understand those figure skating fans who are against Kwan getting a bye will think up as much as they can to keep her from getting that bye. And why not? It's time for the over exposed skater to step down. There are many fans who are tired of Kwan. This is their jubilee!! Let it ride.
Ah well it doesn't really matter what they think...they aren't on the selection committee. Besides, its good to keep them on thier toes. ;)

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:

Interesting points Attnyfan - One could argue that the USFS owes her a favor for dragging her out to skate the Marshalls despite the pain. I doubt the above group I mentioned above would go along with that.

Joe

I would presume that you are refering to me in the above mentioned group. I was asking a question in my post and I asked for civilized answer. You didn't have to get your snotty jeers in about skating fans against Kwan getting a bye and thinking up things to keep her from getting a bye. Thank heavens that it's not up to you or me, its up to people that are not bias. An another thing I didn't see anybody draggi ng her on the ice, I think she went of her own free will. Kwan does what Kwan wants to do. She did it for the money.

I started of my post, like I said before, on a friendly not, not being mean to Kwan or anyone else, just asking a question. You didn't have to pass a negative comment when you responded to my question.:) :)

millie

Medalist
BravesSkateFan said:
Ah well it doesn't really matter what they think...they aren't on the selection committee. Besides, its good to keep them on thier toes. ;)

Are you on the selection committe? Keep them on their toes about what?:) :)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Are you on the selection committe? Keep them on their toes about what?
HA! No I'm not on the selection committee.
I wasn't referring to keeping the selection committee on thier toes, but rather those who will think of any reason why Kwan shouldn't be on the team (which by the way millie, I don't lump you in that catergory, and I was legitmately replying to your question.)