Will there be a QR at Worlds 2006? | Golden Skate

Will there be a QR at Worlds 2006?

heyang

Record Breaker
The QR as part of scoring has always bugged me. I believe it is necessary to cut down the field, but I don't see it adding a lot of value to the competition results.

Initially, it was used to only limit the field. At one point, the previous year's podium winners were not required to skate QR. During the mid 90's, everyone had to skate QR - if I recall correctly, the skaters had to skate a 'different' program other than their SP and LP. I feel that this was probably the influence of TV since interest was at an all-time high and the media powers (correctly) presumed that no one would want to watch the same program skated during QR as SP and LP.

Everytime I've watched QR on TV, the performances generally seem so flat. No one's really pulling out all the stops and going for it IMO. Usually, it seems like a watered down version of their LP these days. As I mentioned before, the QR does have value in limiting the field - Chen Lu barely made it past QR in 1997. In 1994, Bobek failed to get past QR, which meant it was Michelle had to finish in the top 10 to guarantee the US Ladies 2 spots in 1995.

The scoring of QR throws things out of balance. 2 groups of skaters - each scored separately (at least before COP). The 1st place finisher in one group wasn't always better than the 3rd place finisher in the 2nd group - yet the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from the 2nd group weren't given full credit against the 1st place finisher in the 1st group.

Anyway - if the skater's aren't attempting their absolute best skate at QR, what's the point of using it as part of the competition?

schuttler1

Spectator
heyang said:
The QR as part of scoring has always bugged me. I believe it is necessary to cut down the field, but I don't see it adding a lot of value to the competition results.

Initially, it was used to only limit the field. At one point, the previous year's podium winners were not required to skate QR. During the mid 90's, everyone had to skate QR - if I recall correctly, the skaters had to skate a 'different' program other than their SP and LP. I feel that this was probably the influence of TV since interest was at an all-time high and the media powers (correctly) presumed that no one would want to watch the same program skated during QR as SP and LP.

Everytime I've watched QR on TV, the performances generally seem so flat. No one's really pulling out all the stops and going for it IMO. Usually, it seems like a watered down version of their LP these days. As I mentioned before, the QR does have value in limiting the field - Chen Lu barely made it past QR in 1997. In 1994, Bobek failed to get past QR, which meant it was Michelle had to finish in the top 10 to guarantee the US Ladies 2 spots in 1995.

The scoring of QR throws things out of balance. 2 groups of skaters - each scored separately (at least before COP). The 1st place finisher in one group wasn't always better than the 3rd place finisher in the 2nd group - yet the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from the 2nd group weren't given full credit against the 1st place finisher in the 1st group.

Anyway - if the skater's aren't attempting their absolute best skate at QR, what's the point of using it as part of the competition?

I wish they'd bring back school figures as form of QR. These athletes do not need to put on a new routine or dredging up an old one. It's too expensive and dangerous with the jumps and combination spins, which turns it into a simple "crap shoot" to come out of it not only without injury but just moreless a clean program.

I believe the QR was established to rid the excess of 30 contestants (5 groups of 6).

I do not know the history of the QR. When it was started? Was it a replacement for School Figures? Did TV influence the groups of 6? I just think it is there to cut down the number of contestants to 30.

Now the purpose the entire Worlds: Is it to determine the top 3 skaters? the top 10 skaters? the top 30 skaters?

Joe