Katarina Witt on ABC at US Nats | Golden Skate

Katarina Witt on ABC at US Nats

I don't understand what it is about Kat that the Networks think she is the darling of the American public? She was very cautious about what she said during Skate America. It was as if she was coached not to say anything which would be cause for controversy.

I believe Kat is a decent lady and her opinions are as valid as others but they are opinions. She makes a living at figure skating so she will do as she is told. Not having Oksana is understandable, but why not Kristie?

And this gimmick ABC has drawn up - is it adding anything to the competition?

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
Out of all the Olympic and World medalist we have had , why do we need Witt? I would like to hear Jill Trenary or Caryn Kadavy, even Tara Lipinski commentate at Nationals. We don't need Witt! Most of the talking she did at Skate America, I paused my VCR. :scowl:

jesslily

Final Flight
Katarina tried to be fair at Skate America. But you can tell she was nervious and cautious about every key sentence she was saying. She sounded like she has to say things she does not agree with.

I liked Witt's commentary at Skate America. Yes, she is not yet an experienced TV journalist, but I do like the international flavor that she brings to the telecast.

When it came time to say whether they thought Skate America was fairly judged, Dick and Peggy hemmed and hawed and got all tongue-tied trying to say that they thought Alissa maybe should have won, while Kat was the only one who calmly kept her head and correctly pointed out that while Alissa won the long program, her mistakes in the SP allowed Elena Sokolova to gain a point lead that Alissa was not able to overcome in the LP.

Mathman :)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Katarina won TWO Olympic Gold Medals - she 'da man! On top of that
she's bared all for Playboy - not once but TWO times - she 'da woman!
Nobody has the extensive background -pro and eligible - and has led the kind of life as Kat has. I wish they'd just let her run with it and say whatever she wants to - I'd bet when she hits her stride with the microphone she'll be great. Nothing is more grating to my ears (almost, lol) than Fleming.

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, Katarina will brought in for her marque value as a two-time Olympic champion and four-time World champion. That, however, doesn't qualify her to become a television analyst. I, too, thought her commentary at Skate America was very cautious and stilted. She sounded nervous and looked uncomfortable.

For Heaven's sakes, why don't the networks wake up and hire Kristi to commentate? Most likely, Kristi would go the extra mile to be non-critical, but she is very articulate, used to dealing with the media, and I think she would make a great commentator.

I can't understand why the networks consider Witt to be some kind of medla darling. She isn't. Maybe they view her as being "the sexy skater who posed for Playboy". Please, that just doesn't cut it, as far as commentating is concerned. :disagree:

Jerseygirl

Spectator
I believe Witt has done some commentating in Europe. She seem to be comfortable with Kurt from watching her during SA taping breaks but during the broadcast she didn't seem as relaxed.

I don't understand how posing for Playboy make her qualified to be a skating commentator. She is beautiful but so are women, who don't take their clothes off like Kristi.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
Katarina won TWO Olympic Gold Medals - she 'da man! On top of that
she's bared all for Playboy - not once but TWO times - she 'da woman!
Nobody has the extensive background -pro and eligible - and has led the kind of life as Kat has. I wish they'd just let her run with it and say whatever she wants to - I'd bet when she hits her stride with the microphone she'll be great. Nothing is more grating to my ears (almost, lol) than Fleming.

Maybe, but with all due respect, a strong competitive record does not equal talent behind the mic, or on camera. JMO

Jerseygirl said:
She is beautiful but so are women, who don't take their clothes off like Kristi.
Hi, Jerseygirl. Would you think I was being silly and pedantic if I just moved some commas around?

She is beautiful, but so are women who don't take their clothes off, like Kristi. :) ;)

Zanzibar, you should try TV work! :yes: You could do play-by-play, with Alexei Y. as your side-kick. I'd definitely tune in.

MM :)

Mathman said:
When it came time to say whether they thought Skate America was fairly judged, Dick and Peggy hemmed and hawed and got all tongue-tied trying to say that they thought Alissa maybe should have won, while Kat was the only one who calmly kept her head and correctly pointed out that while Alissa won the long program, her mistakes in the SP allowed Elena Sokolova to gain a point lead that Alissa was not able to overcome in the LP. Mathman :)
I can't imagine why we needed Kat to elucidate what we already knew.

IMO, Kat adds nothing to sideline judging.

Joe

Jerseygirl

Spectator
Mathman said:
Hi, Jerseygirl. Would you think I was being silly and pedantic if I just moved some commas around?

She is beautiful, but so are women who don't take their clothes off, like Kristi. :) ;)

Zanzibar, you should try TV work! :yes: You could do play-by-play, with Alexei Y. as your side-kick. I'd definitely tune in.

Edit away! :laugh:

I would tune in to see Alexei and to hear his play-by-play also.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Joesitz said:
I can't imagine why we needed Kat to elucidate what we already knew.
We already knew it, but Dick and Peggy didn't. They kept saying that they thought Alissa should have won.

I was there. Alissa did win the LP. It could be their math is not as good as yours and Kat's math is perfect.:)

Point is, do we need Kat to do the Math on the sidelines?

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman said:

Oh yeah, LOL....I can just hear us now: "That was two-footed."
"Was not." Was too." Was not!" "Was too!" "Was not!!!"

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
She sounds like she is trying to be too gentle and conforming. She needs to relax and show us the candor we all expect from here. Show some teeth so to speak, like she used to on the ice. :biggrin:

heyang

Record Breaker
I was just going to add that I'm pretty sure Kat has done some commentating, especially in Germany.

I'm also gonna guess that Kristi might have a contract with NBC. She did appear on their morning show with Katie Couric and she has served as an Olympic abassador in the past. She also had a Disson Skating production this year, all of which are being broadcast on NBC.

Katerina used to have Divas On Ice with Disson. However, this year it's Sarah Hughes and Friends, instead. This may explain why Kat was free to work with ABC this year.

As for using Tara or Sarah, I'll go with the arguement that they do not have high marquee value since they've disappeared from skating and I think their youth works against them since they have not performed commentary at a major event. Oksana does not have the English skills to perform well on American Television. Kristi as mentioned above, which leads us back to Witt as the last Ladies' Oly Gold medalist available.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wait...is she doing COMMENTATING or SIDELINE work?

In other words, is she taking Dick or Peggy's place in the booth? Or will the three of them be in there? How is this going to work?

Back to my original questions:

What is the point of these sideline comments?
(they have no relevance to the scores. they are just opinions like who doesn't have opinions. they are just another fluff piece, imo.)

Why Kat? and not a dozen and half other US skaters?

Joe