Katarina Witt on ABC at US Nats | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Katarina Witt on ABC at US Nats

Linny

Final Flight
English as a second language

Katt may have sounded stilted because she was concious of speaking with an accent and wanted to make sure she pronounced everything correctly. I only speak American-English and can't imagine having to stand with a microphone and speak in a language that is not my native tongue to an huge audience.
Linny

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Katarina Witt is a fantastic TV commentator. Then again, I'm a bit prejudiced in that regard. :)

Jhar55

Medalist
Thought Kat did a good job at Skate America. Mostley all she did was the backstage interviewing. As far as Kristi really don't think she wants to drag a neborn and a 2yr old across the counrty at this time. :clap:

Teenes

On the Ice
I'm also gonna guess that Kristi might have a contract with NBC. She did appear on their morning show with Katie Couric and she has served as an Olympic abassador in the past. She also had a Disson Skating production this year, all of which are being broadcast on NBC.

That seems unlikely to be the issue, unless the Olympic ambassador required her to sign a contract. Kurt Browning also has appeared on the Today Show, and also has a Disson Skating production, but he's contracted as a commentator with ABC for two years.

Has Kristi ever done commentary work in the past? Maybe it's just not something she's interested in?

Jill

On the Ice
I thought I heard somewhere that Kristi just had a baby and was devoting her time to being a mom?

I thought Kat didn't do too bad at Skate America. I think Tara might do a nice job, too, but now that she's a big Hollywood star, I guess she considers commentating beneath her.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Aloft04 said:
He is beautiful and MIGHT take his clothes off....;)

If we wish to eliminate any doubt about that, we should go with Phillippe Candeloro instead of Alexei! (I'd still rather see Alexei)

When Katarina gets a little more confidence and experience in American TV, she might bring a fresh international slant to the reporting. Victor Petrenko is another blast from the past who might have a prospective different from the usual American commentators.

MM :)

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I like Katarina and look forward to seing her and hearing what she has to say on ABC this week. Her remarks are usually quite apt, and the time for a new voice is overdue anyway.

Jill

On the Ice
Didn't Katia Gordeeva do some work in Nagano? Not during the actual event, but in the recaps? I enjoyed hearing her expert commentary. Personally, I don't really care where you're from, as long as you know your stuff.

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I can't imagine why we needed Kat to elucidate what we already knew.

IMO, Kat adds nothing to sideline judging.

Joe

ITA. Katarina was a wonderful champion, but that doesn't qualify her to become a television commentator. Why doesn't she commentate for German television, as she surely is more comfortable in chatting in her native tongue.

That's not meant as a criticism for Kat. I had three years of German in high school, and Kat's English is about 1,000 times better than my German. :biggrin: