US Nats Practice Tidbits | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Nats Practice Tidbits

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Random Afternoon Tidbits...

And BTW Piel, you inspired something in here. :) You will know.

Copied from my post at FSU:

Well, after considering this long and hard, during my walk back to the Hyatt after the Yankee Polka fest in the drizzle, I decided to blow off the Jr. Men’s FS. I know that’s crazy, but I need to warm up with some wine and some food that is more “real” than a giant soft pretzel. (sorry boys) I’m try to get a second wind for the OD.

A few random comments, and I’m not sure they belong here. But since my other random comments are here, I’ll put ‘em here and admins, please move them or let me know if I should post them somewhere else.

The arena is really gearing up now that the Sr. events are underway. Vendor booths popping up everywhere (I can’t believe a basic dress with a few sparklies starts at $350. Skating parents have my sympathies, and I’m absolutely in the wrong business!). Lots more people are in the arena for the events (Sr. CD). LOTS more cameras are all over the place. The ABC guys were talking about the AP guys, and other news guys/gals.

I’m giving <eville> Skycam a new name. That annoying thing really looks like a techno naked Darth Vader. The top of it looks like the Darth Vader helmet. The bottom part looks like techno parts that should be covered by a cape. And after watching that thing zoom around after Tanith in a way that seemed stalkish (is that a new word?) during their CD warmup group, the new name Dirty Darth is definitely my new name for that thing.

Usually I’m full of snarky costume comments, and the Yankee Polka sure seemed to hold a lot of promise for that. These things are always somewhat a matter of personal taste, but the general theme is just so bad for me that it’s hard to distinguish a good one from a bad one – they are a variations of <bad> , at least for me. So I only have 4 costumes to comment about.

Worst Yankee Polka Men’s Division Award: Bommentre (sp) – IMO worst of the bad. This was like taking a worn (nearly see through) old white dress shirt and ugly blue leisure pants out of the salvation army store, and adding a weak attempt at Polka foof on the front of the shirt. <yikes>

Worst Yankee Polka Ladies Division Award: Matthews – It was OK as “doing the best one can with a Polka outfit” until she turned around. The main costume consisted of an orange skirt and yellow blouse. There was a big white bow on her butt, ala many wedding gowns. I can only think her costume designer was inspired at a wedding reception during the Beer Barrel Polka.

The best costumes thankfully, looked little to nothing like Polka costumes!

I think I’ll give first place to Pratt/Giles. I’m not sure it was intended this way, but I sure hope so. Her dress was white, straight down the front, with an insert of red lace on the backside. (nothing resembling a polka skirt). The dress had HUGE RED POLKA DOTS on it. If it was meant to be sort of a rebellion on polka dresses, it worked for me!! The obligatory trace of polka was a pair of silver suspenders on him. Loved it. <cool>

Tanith and Ben rebelled (seemingly) against the traditional polka too, but not in a funny way…just a pretty way. He looked like a pirate in black pants, red sash, while billowy shirt. (model material for the cover of a Harlequin Romance Novel) She looked like a 50’s movie star in a white halter dress with a little netting under the skirt, and some red sparklies (small) all around. Nothing polka about it IMO, and congratulations for that!! <hot>

I’m sure many of you have seen these costumes before….but I haven’t and maybe a few others haven’t. It was interesting to me....as the least interesting costume scrutiny I've ever tried to do.

All that said, the Yankee Polka looks VERY hard to do. Certainly a dance that seems to separate the “men from the boys” so to speak.

I think we should all get straws and napkins to make spit balls, and try to take out Dirty Darth before the competition gets too much further along. That would be a fun distraction during Zamboni breaks.

OK – 1.5 hours before OD. I’m off to Houlihans for some food and drink, and OD’s after that if I follow my plan. If this is all getting too boring let me know. I’m sort of having fun chronicling this adventure. <40 beers>

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
FABULOUS reports, Doggygirl! I'll definitely be on the look-out for Rohene during the telecasts. It sounds as if Rohene may be the Lucinda Ruh among men -- great in spins, spirals, style & the rest....iffy in jumps??? I hope that he can put it together when it counts.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Worst Yankee Polka Ladies Division Award: Matthews –

Did you not see the ugly thing Tiffany Stiegler was wearing. She might as well wear a banner saying "Since I can't outskate Tanith I'll try being sexier than she is!" Which she fails there too. She was like the Yankee Polka skank! :disagree:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
It sounds as if Rohene may be the Lucinda Ruh among men -- great in spins, spirals, style & the rest....iffy in jumps??? I hope that he can put it together when it counts.

His jumps are quite good in general. It's not technique or body type getting in the way a la Ruh.

What he's not so good at is putting it together when it counts.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Is it OK if I put your posts into a bigger font? The young-uns on the board won't care, but I'm doing my pirate imitation squinting t the the monitor. :)
It is a little small, now my screen is all fogged up from sitting too close. I'm a little cross eyed right now but I'll be OK. :laugh: :laugh:

(Also, whatever you are doing, you tricked the supposedly foolproof built-in GS censor that automatically makes words like s**t appear as ****, LOL.)
I think Doggygirl meant ..........shirt. :rofl: :rofl: Whatever, I loved it.

Dee

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Fill up your beverage and get ready for a long Men's practice report.

...or....abaondon this post right away. :) Here goes... Ladies will be next after I type it in Word. And LOL Toni, I don't know how I missed my written note re: Yankee Polka outfits that said "BELLY BUTTON? POLKA?" That was a least a tie IMO for the Beer Barrel Polka inspired white bow on the butt. :) And Dee, OF COURSE I meant "shirt." ;)

Here goes..

made a tough decision last night to skip the OD because I REALLY wanted to make the start of the practice groups (7:30AM) this morning for Men’s and Ladies FS. I guess I now have a better understanding of the advice “you have to pace yourself at these events.” On one hand I regret missing it, but on the other hand I was wide awake and on time for practice.

My first thought when I left the hotel was “thank goodness it’s not raining.” Then by my first smoke break during Zamboni, THE SUN WAS OUT!!!! Not sure if that affects the skaters, but it seems to affect the fans positively.

Another very fun moment of the morning was meeting my first on-line skating pal in person. I can see how attending these events year after year can lead to some very fun reunions – like old home week. Toni (GS) I was keeping an eye out this AM for leopard, but didn’t see any. I’ll keep looking though.

I’ve got a running joke now with some of the ticket / bag checkers on the way into the arena. A couple of them have been working the mornings all week. And of course I’m in and out more than once due to my nasty smoking habit. I carry this very little purse that can sling over my neck with ONLY what I need. Not much space for sneaking in food / drinks, or a video camera, etc. The first day when I opened my little purse I commented I couldn’t hide much in there. Jokingly, he said, well, you could hide caviar in there. I told him if I come across some caviar, I’ll share. So now every time I open my purse for these folks it’s “nope, no caviar today!”

On to the real stuff. Men’s Group B was first up today. The general tone of this session seemed much more somber than yesterday. At first I thought maybe it was just the time – 7:30 for a group that practiced at maybe 9 or so yesterday. But the generally more serious feel seemed to carry throughout all the practices. Is that typical? Is it because it’s the FS rather than SP? Is it because the real competition starts tomorrow, and maybe it feel more real, or there is more pressure, etc.? Just curious about opinions on this.

Geobel – in general practice his jumps looked pretty smooth, much like yesterday. I’m not sure about quad attempts but I know others will report on that. During Tim’s run through though, he had some problems with some jumps (pops, etc.). Not such an easy going smile today.

Phan – boy does this young man work hard!! I made a note as I was watching him that ALL these skaters seem to work hard. And all of them have something to be appreciated about their skating. I have to think there is a certain about of natural talent the exists in all these skaters – it just waits to be developed and worked on. But I’m thinking that the very top skaters may have a few more natural gifts than some of the others. (i.e. Weiss, Weir, Goebel,, Lysacek, etc.) BUT – I sure respect them all, and hope every one of them skates to their full potential, whatever that is, during the competition.

I have a note by Rogers “nice 3/2/2” I’m beginning to understand the concern I’ve seen quite a bit that the problem with 3/2/2’s (or 3/3/2’s) is getting any flow out at the end. This lack of flow to me anyway, seems more evident live than I’ve noticed on TV/internet. However, it will be interesting to see if the way I perceive things on TV is different after seeing things live….. At any rate, I though Rogers did a nice one (better than the average I’ve seen, along with a couple other men).

Vilareal was there and I made no special notes, but appreciate him too.

Ward was MUCH more somber today. He wasn’t showing nearly as many of his unique tricks. He seemed to be focused (appropriately) on his jumps, and some movements back and forth with coach that I suspect were technique related for jump entries maybe? Like yesterday, he landed some nice ones that were VERY nice, but had problems as well including at least 1 fall that looked hard. He did do that glorious spiral in his FS run through, so again I sure hope he makes the TV cut to everyone gets to see what is great about this skater.

Weiss was here today, which I really enjoyed. When I spotted him in the entry area before practice started, I pointed him out proactively to NBC guy. He asked about Jahnke, and I told him he would be in the last men’s group today if he shows. Mean time, to my untrained eye I think Mike had a good practice. I’m pretty sure he did at least 1 4/3 – I could tell by the 2ft landing on the 4. <smile> He seemed to do well in general with his triples. I did make a note that Mike is able to do edge changes in his spins without the spins slowing down. The edge change was barely noticeable in that regard. I’m pretty sure the spin I noted did have an edge change as he did it right in front of where I was sitting. Hope I’m right about that and not mis-reporting. Weiss worked the whole session and was last to leave the ice. He got nice applause (as did the other guys) from the VERY small crowd there at that hour.

Group C:

Bradley – I never thought I’d say I like a 70’s disco program, but I think this works really well on him. He hams it up ala John Travolta. His run through was next to last in this group, and by then there were more people in the arena. He got some bit “woo-hoos” from the ladies, and maybe some of the men too when he did this hip rotation thing at center ice. This wouldn’t work on everyone, and I have no idea how it will come off in the actual comp, but it sure worked today.

Delmore – I really like his music too – on him. Several jazzy type cuts. The opening cut I would describe as sort of bluesy jazzy and for me anyway, he worked it. (to state the obvious, I can fit my musical knowledge into a thimble, and still have more than enough room left over for my teknik knowledge of figure skating. And probably my knowledge of cooking would still fit too.) I’m looking to the “full out” version of this program.

La Roche – He is really growing on me. IMO, he has a very smooth flow over the ice, and great posture. He did not do jumps during his run through (run through lite) so I hope he skates this same way once the jumps are in the program too. Some skaters are exciting, if a bit sloppy at times. He seems more of a precision skater.

Lysacek. It’s cool watching these groupings, because it’s getting easier to distinguish who is truly a cut above the rest, even though there is much to appreciate about all of them. Everything is just “more” with Lysacek than the rest of this group. Evan’s version of run through lite included the opening, the ending, some jumps, some spins, and SL FW. I am SO GLAD he changed music. Though a war horse, I think this is a better music choice to highlight his strengths. You can’t HELP yourself from starting to clap during the SL FW. Comparing to my COE spin note on Weiss, Evan’s final spin seemed to REALLY get slow by the end of it. Generally, he seemed to have a few more jump problems today than yesterday. Nerves? Don’t know. And of course you can’t see everything with many people on the ice. I saw him take 3 hard falls today – I didn’t notice any hard falls (I don’t think) yesterday. I hope this is like the driving range in gold where you get your bad shots out of the way before the actual game.

Pennington – I suppose I noticed him the least of this group for today.

Savoie – he seemed to struggle a bit more on the jumps today too IMO – or maybe I just saw mistakes that I didn’t see yesterday. That aside, he truly is a wonderful skater to watch. I love the way he interprets music. I still wish he had some one stand out thing that would move him from being (not sure if this is the right phrase) sort of a tier 2 skater to a tier 1 skater. But of course, this is to my untrained eye.

Group A:

NBC guy comes over for help identifying Jahnke. By this time my mother/daughter friends were there, and we were all expecting this. LOL, before NBC guy opened his mouth, we all pointed (unplanned) in unison. NBC guy then asks us (paraphrased) if the skaters wear better outfits during competition. In sequence we collectively said yes…but then qualified with “it depends on your taste.” <smile>

Jahnke – I thought I caught a nice 3/3/2. Might have been a 3/2/2, but that was one of his better jumps on the day that I caught. He was really hit and miss with the jumps. Ryan is a nice skater, but I realized just how much music affects my overall impression of a program. I’ve already noted a couple of cases where the music is not necessarily to my taste, but it REALLY seemed to fit the skater, so it worked well for me. Well, cowboy is an example of music NOT to my taste (although I love the saying “save a pony, ride a cowboy”). I just can’t get with this music on him. I’m giving this report in the order of the printed grouping list, but Ryan actually skated after Johnny (they started with the 3rd or so skaters today). Johnny seemed distracted after his skate, and unintentionally (I think) caused Ryan to abort a move during Ryans run through. I think the aborted move was a jump, which I’m sure Ryan wanted to do as he was having problems anyway. That was at the opposite end of the rink. Ryan’s coach was sitting right in front of me. As Ryan was heading down toward our end for another jump, Johnny was in the way once again. Ryan’s coach yelled “JOHNNY!” in time for Johnny to move this time.

Smith – I love his flow. My big special note for him is a gorgeous spread eagle. I love those when they are well done – deep edges and held long. I hate when people do a spread eagle that you miss if you blink. Why bother?

Steenburg – My special note for him is that he does nice low sit spins (at least in this practice) that would make Unlcle Dick proud.

Weir – He is just so smooth and fast and fun to watch. He struggled IMO a bit more on his jumps today too. When his music started, he popped his opening jump. He shook his head and took some time to re-group. I think this threw him quite a bit. His spins are wonderful – once again no noticeable change in speed (at least not to me) when he changes edge. He did both his circular and SL FW which I thought looked great. I’m still not sure I love this music for him. I wish I had seen Otonal live to have that basis for comparison. It’s not that this music is horrid….I guess it’s just that every program cannot be “that extra special something” and I find myself wishing he had done this program last year, and Otonal this year, hind sight being 20/20 and all. But like all things music, I’m sure much of that is just personal taste.

I got mightily irritated with another media person. This guy carrying a medium size video camera (medium IMO for media cameras – not home video cameras) walked over to the ABC people to my left. Instead of just sitting down in an empty seat (that whole row was empty) or walking down into their area on the floor, he just stood right there in front of us blocking our view. After he rudely stood there for maybe 30 seconds that feels like an eternity when you’re pissed, I tapped him and asked him to sit down. He gave me a “look” and went over to chat with the NBC folks. I don’t care how important you think you are, rude is rude. I found out later that he had been rude like this to others, and his excuse apparently (this is speculation that it’s the same person) is that he is getting video for the Ice Diaries series.

OK – on to Wilson. I really just like my sense of this guy more and more. He was among the last on the ice again today, along with Jahnke. During Wilson’s run through, he did a nice 3/3 to open, but then like so many others had some jump trouble after that. He does a HUGE gorgeous spread eagle right before his final spin. It was funny – Ryan and Jordan were both doing some final things when they called for the end of practice. Ryan happened to be in center ice, and Wilson happened to be practicing his final spread eagle. (or maybe it was planned, but didn’t seem that way to me). Jordan ended up doing that giant spread eagle circling around Ryan, and they were both grinning at each other. Then they took turns doing final bows. It was just one of those Kodak moments.

Mean time, the media cameras (and people) are arriving in full force as ladies are next. I will post ladies separately.

Doggygirl said:
I made a tough decision last night to skip the OD because I REALLY wanted to make the start of the practice groups (7:30AM) this morning for Men’s and Ladies FS. I guess I now have a better understanding of the advice “you have to pace yourself at these events.” On one hand I regret missing it, but on the other hand I was wide awake and on time for practice.
Absolutely the right choice, Doggygirl. We can see the performancs any old time, but your practice reports are solid GOLD! :love:

MM :)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks, DG!

I'm really enjoying your reports! Loved the bit on Jordan and Ryan - since I'm not going to see our local boy on the tee-vee, it's nice to know he's making an impression during the practice sessions.
I am soooooooo incredibly jealous that you're there and I'm not! Keep those reports coming!
Go Jordan!
xoxo
Rave

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Re-fill your glass - Ladies FS Practice Tidbits...

I’ll start with another media void. I wish I had more skater voids, but I didn’t pick my own seat number. <smile> Of course during a Zamboni break I went for a smoke. When I came back, a lady (at that point we were looking at the back side) climbed over a couple rows of seats from the first row to my row to leave without making anyone get up. My pal from GS was there too. On her way up, she accidentally knocked my program and note pad off my seat. She picked them up and put them back. When she turned around, we realized it was Christine Brennan.

I didn’t even realize this until I got back to the hotel, but Dirty Darth the Skycam was silent today. Since Jr. Dance and Pairs SP are later today, I assume he was resting so he can lay in wait for some crotch shots during those events.

I made fewer notes about the Ladies FS practice than the men’s. (LOL, some of you are probably celebrating that notion by now!!) Since I’ve already said I can find something to like about all of these skaters, with the possible exception of Archambault (another close call with plumber crack outfit today, but at least she didn’t seem to be in everyone else’s way as much) I will comment only on skaters where I made notes.

First another general impression. As a first timer live, I’m really glad I’ve made a point to attend the practices. I feel like I’m getting a little more sense of these people as people. It’s certainly not the same as talking with them on a personal basis, but you just see so much in a more candid type of environment. You also see things that maybe a skater struggles with in competition, but it’s cool to see them do it well in practice. Of course the strongest competitors can take it all to competition ice. But I still appreciate seeing people successfully do things, even if it’s only once in practice.

Ladies Group B:

Already said my piece on Archambault. <smile>

Cohen – was doing more jumps today. Not full out like others trying (whatever the outcome) triple after triple, but she worked her way up to some triples that looked nice. Run through lite was very lite. We were wondering if she’s keeping some of her much discussed “Wilson” changes close to the vest? Who knows but it’s fun to speculate. Her circ. FW looked very nice to me. She practiced more spins than I recall from yesterday, and those seemed good as well. She appeared very focused. Back and forth with Nicks, and working on pieces. If the whole tomorrow and Saturday come together like the pieces looked, she will be just fine.

Corwin – Nice 3/3 so open run through, and big smile for the audience. <smile> I gushed enough about her yesterday, so I won’t repeat myself. She had a few jump problems during her run through, but also did a nice 3/2/2 in the mix.

Hughes – had a few problems but overall jumps still look strong. I’m still amazed by her classic spiral position. She looks in good form for tomorrow.

Roth – in a fear of plumber crack trendy fashion statement, she showed us all the tattoo she sports that is right above the crack.

Ladies Group C:

Liang – From what I saw today, I thought she looked awesome. Fast and smooth. Really worked the session – she was last to leave the ice. I made a special note of her gorgeous layback spin. I passed her in the hallway as she was leaving, and got to wish her good luck. Big smile from her and her ….family? friends?? Anyway, she seems genuinely nice when she smiles – I don’t get a feeling of “put on” from her.

Meissner – me nor the people around me saw any 3A attempts. But she was reeling off 3/3’s regularly. There were a few times I saw where she popped jump 1, but still came up with a 3 to follow. I think she may have gotten in two 3/3’s in her run through. As No Teknik, I’m not 100% sure. Her last jumping pass was a 3/2/2. She is very fast and smooth over the ice. I still think she has weaknesses (noticeably) in her spiral positions, and also in her spins (they get VERY slow, at least they seemed to today.) Side note on Kimmie’s practice outfit. She’s SO slender and tiny. She was wearing tight stretch pants. She had those giant (on her anyway) pads under the pants on each hip. The thought crossed my mind that it looked like ladies bustles (sp) from the early 1900’s or so. <smile> Hey – I wouldn’t want to take a hard fall on those skinny little hips either!! I don’t blame her at all – it was just a funny look.

I’m not as crazy about Rosenthal’s FS as I was with her SP yesterday. But as a “not known for jumps” sort, it was fun to see her land a 3/3 sequence towards the very end of the practice session.

Taylor and Williams-Steward worked the session just as hard as they both did yesterday.

I missed part of Ladies Group A. I was more efficient with my Zamboni smoke breaks before I started meeting fellow smokers on said breaks. At any rate, the big news for this group is that Czisny was NOT THERE. By now, less wordy people than me have probably already reported this. But our little group that has been sitting together is wondering if there are any reports – is she sick? Injured? Once I post this report I’m hoping to see some news posted. I hope she is OK. I can’t imaging missing the last opp to practice on the actual competition ice by plan…but what do I know???

In closing, our little group speculated about the Men’s group. We sort of think the podium is pretty wide open for the taking between Goebel, Lysacek, Weir, Weiss, and maybe even a surprise if the stars line up right for one of the “second tier” guys. It should be exciting to watch, and I hope all the men and ladies skate lights out. Bye for now…

CDMM1991

Medalist
Thanks so much DG! Great reports! I think I'll have to go for a quick bathroom break now though :laugh:

Just kidding, your reports are so great; I feel like I'm there with you.

Nothing has been posted about it Alissa, but there has been speculative posts about Sasha have the flu. If this is true, then that might have something to do with the 'lite' runthroughs, and such.

Keep 'em coming DG!! We love reading your great reports.

BTW DG, I posted in 'The Edge' about my newest montage ;) .

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
DG I just can't see Morgan's costume being WORSE than that thing that Tiffany was wearing UGH

I wasn't at the arena at all today I will be there for pairs SPs though... hopefully in the same general area... I'm wearing a red sweater with gold flecks in it and will probably have the leopard print blanket.... I sit with a group of girls (and a guy)... chances are we'll be skating around a bunch of official people and skaters so just look for some familiar faces lol

Frau Muller

Final Flight
GREAT - GREAT - GREAT posts, DG!!!!

In the "Tell Me That It Ain't So" Department: So that pesky Smuckers SkyCam is back? Doesn't ABC read fans' complaints? Sheesh.... At least it must be funny to see it swinging above you, live.

Alissa might simply chosen to have delayed her trip until the last possible minute, to train at her home rink as much as possible, outside the glare of the media spotlight. She's not obligated to be in St Louis by any specific time, is she? She just has to be there to take to the ice when her name is called, in competition. Hopefully she is OK (more than OK).

Last edited:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Tonichelle said:
DG I just can't see Morgan's costume being WORSE than that thing that Tiffany was wearing UGH
But I LOVE Tiffany's outfit! So trashy, so slutty, yet suprisingly perky!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl said:
and I find myself wishing he had done this program last year, and Otonal this year, hind sight being 20/20 and all. But like all things music, I’m sure much of that is just personal taste.
I wished that would have happened too. Johnny's program is Ok but Otonal was..........THE BEST!!! :love: :love: :love: I've said this many times but when he started his straightline footwork in Otonal, I think my heart stopped!!!:) :)

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
We really appreciate the reports. It's the next best thing to being there with y'all. Keep 'em coming. :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks again for another fabulous practice report.

I hope Alissa is ok and this is part of the Plan.

flying camel

Medalist
Alissa is there, there is quote from her in the Chicago Tribune from Wednesday. She spoke about Michelle getting a spot on the team. Very short, but she is there.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
No Teknik Tidbits from the Pairs SP

I will leave the debate about placements to others more knowledgeable, and just make a couple of comments.

NNN/L really looked solid. They were first to skate and what a great way to kick of the event!! If they can continue to increase their difficulty they could be really great I think. Maybe someone else who saw this live can help me out with this, because I'm not sure quite how to describe it. While NNN/L had really good (IMO) precision and unison, there is something like a certain ease with each other on the ice that I suspect comes in part with just skating together for a long time. Or am I imagining things. (probably) At any rate, very exciting pair.

The crowd made a collective groan when Baldwin messed up on the SBS jump. Will he ever get this right on a consistent basis? The fall on the throw was very sad...they looked shocked and horrified when they left the ice. I hope they skate cleaner than this in the FS.

O/L - I sort of never "got" this pair on TV. I didn't think they were bad, but I always thought the I/B were a definite cut above. For me anyway, they struck me totally different live. They are exciting and fast and "showy". What possessed her though, to put those black circles on each boob of that costume????? A few of us should get together and start a costume consulting business.

Among the younger pairs, I really enjoyed Kawaguchi/Patrick. She is just too cute for words with her big smile. ETA: Someone pointed out to me (thank you!!) that she is not as young as she looked to me on the ice. Still, it was fun to watch them. I should have looked at the birth dates first. LOL - I wish I looked several years younger than I am!

I really enjoyed Vise / Trent too. I think this is a great program for them. Loud clapping from crowd during FW. It was fun to watch the opposite direction spins and jumps.

I really enjoyed H/P. I know many are questioning their 2nd place standing with the fall on the SBS jump. The scores are really close though, and I'll leave that debate to the experts. Mean time, I really enjoyed watching their program.

OK - now for some interesting stuff. One of the Flower Children (they are no longer all "girls!!!" :) ) was the daughter of a couple sitting next to me. I never gave a thought to how the children get this job. If I got all this right, at least for this event, there was a big tryout and kids came from all over the Midwest. When the parents arrived at the time for their kid's tryout group, the kids were collected by chaperones to go through the process. There were 3 judges that evaluated what the kids did on the ice. What the parents didn't know (at least these parents didn't know) was that there were also 2 judges among the chaperones where the kid's off ice behavior with the other kids and the adults was assessed. That makes perfect sense when I think about it...I just never thought about it before. Then they had to wait several weeks for a letter to find out that their daughter made it. :) The little boys looked so cute in their little black velvet suits. These folks daughter will be "working" the Men's FS, so I think I'm going to get some stuff to throw to the ice for the earlier skaters where little to nothing might be thrown out there. These kids just WAIT over by their staging area for their moment in the spot light.

The announcing of the scores could be improved. The arena has an echo, as all big arena's do. The guy announcing the scores talked too fast so it was hard to catch. They also put the scores up on the board in the center of the rink, but they flash them up for a couple seconds, and then they are gone. It seems they could easily leave them there a bit longer. LOL - it took me and the couples on either side of me collectively to try to catch everything to write in our programs.

I wish people would pick up their garbage (cups, food wrappers, napkins, etc.) when they leave the rink. It's not hard to do, and there are garbage cans all over the place as you leave. I realize that keeps some people in jobs picking it up, but it is also just another cost factor to running these events. All costs end up in the ticket prices. OK - Rant Over!

I heard that the St. Louis Zoo is free admission, and very cool. I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze that in, but thought I'd mention that in case anybody ends up traveling to St. Louis at any time. The women that told me about this are from St. Louis, and they've been to other famous zoos like San Diego. The STL zoo supposedly isn't quite as big, but they said it's more interesting architecturally. (I have no idea what that means in Zooland, but it sure makes me curious to find out!) There is also a whispering wall inside Union Station somewhere. Since I'm staying here, I will make a point to find that.

Well, over and out for now!

Last edited: