Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: US Nats Practice Tidbits

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Re-fill your glass - Ladies FS Practice Tidbits...

I’ll start with another media void. I wish I had more skater voids, but I didn’t pick my own seat number. <smile> Of course during a Zamboni break I went for a smoke. When I came back, a lady (at that point we were looking at the back side) climbed over a couple rows of seats from the first row to my row to leave without making anyone get up. My pal from GS was there too. On her way up, she accidentally knocked my program and note pad off my seat. She picked them up and put them back. When she turned around, we realized it was Christine Brennan.

I didn’t even realize this until I got back to the hotel, but Dirty Darth the Skycam was silent today. Since Jr. Dance and Pairs SP are later today, I assume he was resting so he can lay in wait for some crotch shots during those events.

I made fewer notes about the Ladies FS practice than the men’s. (LOL, some of you are probably celebrating that notion by now!!) Since I’ve already said I can find something to like about all of these skaters, with the possible exception of Archambault (another close call with plumber crack outfit today, but at least she didn’t seem to be in everyone else’s way as much) I will comment only on skaters where I made notes.

First another general impression. As a first timer live, I’m really glad I’ve made a point to attend the practices. I feel like I’m getting a little more sense of these people as people. It’s certainly not the same as talking with them on a personal basis, but you just see so much in a more candid type of environment. You also see things that maybe a skater struggles with in competition, but it’s cool to see them do it well in practice. Of course the strongest competitors can take it all to competition ice. But I still appreciate seeing people successfully do things, even if it’s only once in practice.

Ladies Group B:

Already said my piece on Archambault. <smile>

Cohen – was doing more jumps today. Not full out like others trying (whatever the outcome) triple after triple, but she worked her way up to some triples that looked nice. Run through lite was very lite. We were wondering if she’s keeping some of her much discussed “Wilson” changes close to the vest? Who knows but it’s fun to speculate. Her circ. FW looked very nice to me. She practiced more spins than I recall from yesterday, and those seemed good as well. She appeared very focused. Back and forth with Nicks, and working on pieces. If the whole tomorrow and Saturday come together like the pieces looked, she will be just fine.

Corwin – Nice 3/3 so open run through, and big smile for the audience. <smile> I gushed enough about her yesterday, so I won’t repeat myself. She had a few jump problems during her run through, but also did a nice 3/2/2 in the mix.

Hughes – had a few problems but overall jumps still look strong. I’m still amazed by her classic spiral position. She looks in good form for tomorrow.

Roth – in a fear of plumber crack trendy fashion statement, she showed us all the tattoo she sports that is right above the crack.

Ladies Group C:

Liang – From what I saw today, I thought she looked awesome. Fast and smooth. Really worked the session – she was last to leave the ice. I made a special note of her gorgeous layback spin. I passed her in the hallway as she was leaving, and got to wish her good luck. Big smile from her and her ….family? friends?? Anyway, she seems genuinely nice when she smiles – I don’t get a feeling of “put on” from her.

Meissner – me nor the people around me saw any 3A attempts. But she was reeling off 3/3’s regularly. There were a few times I saw where she popped jump 1, but still came up with a 3 to follow. I think she may have gotten in two 3/3’s in her run through. As No Teknik, I’m not 100% sure. Her last jumping pass was a 3/2/2. She is very fast and smooth over the ice. I still think she has weaknesses (noticeably) in her spiral positions, and also in her spins (they get VERY slow, at least they seemed to today.) Side note on Kimmie’s practice outfit. She’s SO slender and tiny. She was wearing tight stretch pants. She had those giant (on her anyway) pads under the pants on each hip. The thought crossed my mind that it looked like ladies bustles (sp) from the early 1900’s or so. <smile> Hey – I wouldn’t want to take a hard fall on those skinny little hips either!! I don’t blame her at all – it was just a funny look.

I’m not as crazy about Rosenthal’s FS as I was with her SP yesterday. But as a “not known for jumps” sort, it was fun to see her land a 3/3 sequence towards the very end of the practice session.

Taylor and Williams-Steward worked the session just as hard as they both did yesterday.

I missed part of Ladies Group A. I was more efficient with my Zamboni smoke breaks before I started meeting fellow smokers on said breaks. At any rate, the big news for this group is that Czisny was NOT THERE. By now, less wordy people than me have probably already reported this. But our little group that has been sitting together is wondering if there are any reports – is she sick? Injured? Once I post this report I’m hoping to see some news posted. I hope she is OK. I can’t imaging missing the last opp to practice on the actual competition ice by plan…but what do I know???

In closing, our little group speculated about the Men’s group. We sort of think the podium is pretty wide open for the taking between Goebel, Lysacek, Weir, Weiss, and maybe even a surprise if the stars line up right for one of the “second tier” guys. It should be exciting to watch, and I hope all the men and ladies skate lights out. Bye for now…

Thanks so much DG! Great reports! I think I'll have to go for a quick bathroom break now though

Just kidding, your reports are so great; I feel like I'm there with you.

Nothing has been posted about it Alissa, but there has been speculative posts about Sasha have the flu. If this is true, then that might have something to do with the 'lite' runthroughs, and such.

Keep 'em coming DG!! We love reading your great reports.

BTW DG, I posted in 'The Edge' about my newest montage .

DG I just can't see Morgan's costume being WORSE than that thing that Tiffany was wearing UGH

I wasn't at the arena at all today I will be there for pairs SPs though... hopefully in the same general area... I'm wearing a red sweater with gold flecks in it and will probably have the leopard print blanket.... I sit with a group of girls (and a guy)... chances are we'll be skating around a bunch of official people and skaters so just look for some familiar faces lol

Custom Title
    GREAT - GREAT - GREAT posts, DG!!!!

In the "Tell Me That It Ain't So" Department: So that pesky Smuckers SkyCam is back? Doesn't ABC read fans' complaints? Sheesh.... At least it must be funny to see it swinging above you, live.

Alissa might simply chosen to have delayed her trip until the last possible minute, to train at her home rink as much as possible, outside the glare of the media spotlight. She's not obligated to be in St Louis by any specific time, is she? She just has to be there to take to the ice when her name is called, in competition. Hopefully she is OK (more than OK).
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-11-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    DG I just can't see Morgan's costume being WORSE than that thing that Tiffany was wearing UGH
    But I LOVE Tiffany's outfit! So trashy, so slutty, yet suprisingly perky!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    and I find myself wishing he had done this program last year, and Otonal this year, hind sight being 20/20 and all. But like all things music, I’m sure much of that is just personal taste.
    I wished that would have happened too. Johnny's program is Ok but Otonal was..........THE BEST!!! I've said this many times but when he started his straightline footwork in Otonal, I think my heart stopped!!!

Dee

Down With It
    We really appreciate the reports. It's the next best thing to being there with y'all. Keep 'em coming.

Custom Title
    Thanks again for another fabulous practice report.

I hope Alissa is ok and this is part of the Plan.

Custom Title
    Alissa is there, there is quote from her in the Chicago Tribune from Wednesday. She spoke about Michelle getting a spot on the team. Very short, but she is there.

No Teknik Tidbits from the Pairs SP

I will leave the debate about placements to others more knowledgeable, and just make a couple of comments.

NNN/L really looked solid. They were first to skate and what a great way to kick of the event!! If they can continue to increase their difficulty they could be really great I think. Maybe someone else who saw this live can help me out with this, because I'm not sure quite how to describe it. While NNN/L had really good (IMO) precision and unison, there is something like a certain ease with each other on the ice that I suspect comes in part with just skating together for a long time. Or am I imagining things. (probably) At any rate, very exciting pair.

The crowd made a collective groan when Baldwin messed up on the SBS jump. Will he ever get this right on a consistent basis? The fall on the throw was very sad...they looked shocked and horrified when they left the ice. I hope they skate cleaner than this in the FS.

O/L - I sort of never "got" this pair on TV. I didn't think they were bad, but I always thought the I/B were a definite cut above. For me anyway, they struck me totally different live. They are exciting and fast and "showy". What possessed her though, to put those black circles on each boob of that costume????? A few of us should get together and start a costume consulting business.

Among the younger pairs, I really enjoyed Kawaguchi/Patrick. She is just too cute for words with her big smile. ETA: Someone pointed out to me (thank you!!) that she is not as young as she looked to me on the ice. Still, it was fun to watch them. I should have looked at the birth dates first. LOL - I wish I looked several years younger than I am!

I really enjoyed Vise / Trent too. I think this is a great program for them. Loud clapping from crowd during FW. It was fun to watch the opposite direction spins and jumps.

I really enjoyed H/P. I know many are questioning their 2nd place standing with the fall on the SBS jump. The scores are really close though, and I'll leave that debate to the experts. Mean time, I really enjoyed watching their program.

OK - now for some interesting stuff. One of the Flower Children (they are no longer all "girls!!!" ) was the daughter of a couple sitting next to me. I never gave a thought to how the children get this job. If I got all this right, at least for this event, there was a big tryout and kids came from all over the Midwest. When the parents arrived at the time for their kid's tryout group, the kids were collected by chaperones to go through the process. There were 3 judges that evaluated what the kids did on the ice. What the parents didn't know (at least these parents didn't know) was that there were also 2 judges among the chaperones where the kid's off ice behavior with the other kids and the adults was assessed. That makes perfect sense when I think about it...I just never thought about it before. Then they had to wait several weeks for a letter to find out that their daughter made it. The little boys looked so cute in their little black velvet suits. These folks daughter will be "working" the Men's FS, so I think I'm going to get some stuff to throw to the ice for the earlier skaters where little to nothing might be thrown out there. These kids just WAIT over by their staging area for their moment in the spot light.

The announcing of the scores could be improved. The arena has an echo, as all big arena's do. The guy announcing the scores talked too fast so it was hard to catch. They also put the scores up on the board in the center of the rink, but they flash them up for a couple seconds, and then they are gone. It seems they could easily leave them there a bit longer. LOL - it took me and the couples on either side of me collectively to try to catch everything to write in our programs.

I wish people would pick up their garbage (cups, food wrappers, napkins, etc.) when they leave the rink. It's not hard to do, and there are garbage cans all over the place as you leave. I realize that keeps some people in jobs picking it up, but it is also just another cost factor to running these events. All costs end up in the ticket prices. OK - Rant Over!

I heard that the St. Louis Zoo is free admission, and very cool. I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze that in, but thought I'd mention that in case anybody ends up traveling to St. Louis at any time. The women that told me about this are from St. Louis, and they've been to other famous zoos like San Diego. The STL zoo supposedly isn't quite as big, but they said it's more interesting architecturally. (I have no idea what that means in Zooland, but it sure makes me curious to find out!) There is also a whispering wall inside Union Station somewhere. Since I'm staying here, I will make a point to find that.

Well, over and out for now!
    Last edited by Doggygirl; 01-12-2006 at 12:43 PM.

Observations on the Kwantroversy from the stands...

I know the media is making a huge deal about this....and in large part, I agree with those who remind us that the media people's job is to attract viewers, sell papers, etc.

Being the extremely shy and introverted sort, I tend to chat with lots of people who sit around me, or at the bar, or in the Fresh Air Smoking Area, etc. I haven't proactively asked anyone what they think about it, and only one person that I can recall has asked me what I think about it. And that was a very short discussion. I suspect there will be more buzz during the Ladies SP tonight, but at least from my experience, it seems to be a bigger deal everywhere else than it seems to be for the FS fans I've encountered here.

As for me? There is a process in place to address this exact situation. MK is following the process. I assume all the skaters know about this process. I don't get the big deal.

On the other hand, I know all too well what it's like to NOT be at events, be starving for news, and therefore be happy for ANY news - even if it's media over doing something to attract viewers and sell papers, etc. And the most well known skaters are the ones who make the news. There is so much more going on at these events than that - and I know everyone who goes to events knows this. I'm very grateful to now understand that. It's a really big wide skating world.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    DG,
    I've been enjoying your rinkside posts, both here and at FSU. Keep 'em up!

Also, glad you are having a great time. These big events are such a kick for us casual fans. I know I've had fun at nationals, worlds and skate america. Hey, did you and Toni and company ever link up? It would be a shame not to meet more of those online skate fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHIO2
    DG,
    I've been enjoying your rinkside posts, both here and at FSU. Keep 'em up!

Also, glad you are having a great time. These big events are such a kick for us casual fans. I know I've had fun at nationals, worlds and skate america. Hey, did you and Toni and company ever link up? It would be a shame not to meet more of those online skate fanatics.
    Not yet...LOL I'm still waiting for a leapard print sighting. I hope Toni and all the rest turn up by the USFSA booth after Jr. Pairs FS this afternoon.

OK - now it's REALLY over and out, and off to Savvis.

Thanks for posting...I really wanted to go to nationals this year and post, but, I ran out of money....Great job....Keep it up...

Darby

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Not yet...LOL I'm still waiting for a leapard print sighting. .
    Are you looking for Princess Leppard???

Dee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast