Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Skates? :)

Ballroom Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    Jacksons = evil.

Riedell = evil.

I'm 20, size 3 1/2 feet, and I tried them both. Tooo narrow, but they told me Iwas a B width - I'm D width, in custom HArlicks and they're nice. Narrow ankles, so I have lots of ankle padding in it. It's a bit stiff on the tongue and kinda pushes down on my toes but I think I can break that in. I love them though! I can dance around now knowing I skate without much pain now!

dancindiva, I suggest you check out some other types of boots... I had the saaame problems with my Jacksons and Riedells that you're having and a lot of heat molding/punching them out pretty much killed the $300 boots I bought. :(
    Now, that's weird. My fitter specifically told me, with a wide foot, I should avoid Harlicks like the plague. Also that I would never get my foot into a Riedell, but I knew that going in. I have D ball/B heel split-width Jackson Elites that work fine (except for some pinching now that I've had innersoles put in, but it's better than being in agony from no arch support.) Of course I had to get the customized stock books, and couldn't buy off the rack, but that would go for any kind of boot if I wanted one anywhere near to fitting. So I suppose custom Harlicks would be wide enough--but customs from any brand would be. Klingbeil was the other option mentioned by some people, with their customs, though my coach thinks they would probably be too stiff and heavy for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    Klingbeil was the other option mentioned by some people, with their customs, though my coach thinks they would probably be too stiff and heavy for me.
    I have a friend who had custom Harlicks, and found them to be waaaaaay too stiff and uncomfortable. She now has custom Klingbeils and absolutely loves them.

Has anybody tried Graf skates? I'd like to try them for my daughter who is working on her doubles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by SK8LUVR
    Has anybody tried Graf skates? I'd like to try them for my daughter who is working on her doubles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey!

The only thing I can tell about Grafs is the thing all of the skaters are into:
    It's actually a rule about Grafs...
    IT'S ALL ABOUT SKATER.
    They can fit great or they can fit b-a-d-l-y...
    I never tryed to skate on them...However, on the skating camp last year I just tryed them off ice, and they were Ok for me. But it's all I can say- that a skater should decide. Still, my wote goes to Risport.

Skater Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    Now, that's weird. My fitter specifically told me, with a wide foot, I should avoid Harlicks like the plague. Also that I would never get my foot into a Riedell, but I knew that going in. I have D ball/B heel split-width Jackson Elites that work fine (except for some pinching now that I've had innersoles put in, but it's better than being in agony from no arch support.) Of course I had to get the customized stock books, and couldn't buy off the rack, but that would go for any kind of boot if I wanted one anywhere near to fitting. So I suppose custom Harlicks would be wide enough--but customs from any brand would be. Klingbeil was the other option mentioned by some people, with their customs, though my coach thinks they would probably be too stiff and heavy for me.
    Mine are pretty wide, but they fit very nicely and I'm liking them. I'm getting my toes squished a little bit from the top where the tongue meets the boot, since it's so stiff there, but otherwise it's working just fine. Jacksons never worked for me, maybe because the fitter was a dumbass and kept telling me my feet were width B when they are definitely not. Another problem for me is high, high arches so I have some Dr Scholls stuff in my boot. It's helped.

Ballroom Baby
    Ow, sounds like the fitter was a dumbass if he couldn't tell a B from a D! You're lucky you didn't do permanent damage.

Yeah, I have very high, very rigid arches to my feel. Until I got orthodics I was in agony. The basic sole just didn't support my feet. Unfortunately the inserts are now raising my foot up and my toes are pushing against the top of the boot, but it works.

And I'm constantly monkeying with the lacing around the ankles. Too tight, and I can't skate at all. Too loose and it psyches me out. My coach got a bit fed up with me, I think, last week, and told me to remember, I ought to have the ankle strength to not worry about the tightness of the boots. And he's right, which has lead to me almost to wish for something more like old-style boots, with a lot more flexiblity in the ankle, though having some support around the back of the heel and the toe would be good. (I'm not trying to land triples, so I really do think he's right and flexiblity is a great deal more important than a cast-like ankle support. And, okay, it would be really kind of cool to be able to REALLY point my toe.)

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by SK8LUVR
    I know some people with Grafs, who love them, but I've heard many a Graf horror story. It all depends on how your daughter's foot is shaped and what your willing to spend.

If your daughter has wider feet(like myself), Gams, Jacksons, and Riedells work well. If your daughter has narrower feet, brands similar to Risport will work well. Frankly, if your daughter is comfortable in the skate brand she's currently is, I wouldn't change brands.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Can anyone help me? Pls tell me, which model of ridells is good enough for...um, let's say tripples?

Has anybody tried Graf skates?
    I skate in Graf's and I like them. I have the Richmond Special's which isn't the most expensive. I have trouble because my right foot is smaller then my left so I have heel movement. I just had them worked on so hope they will be better. You can do a custom boot (Graf's and all the other skates) that are not really that much more then the top stock boots. Each boot is different so trying on different ones would be helpful in deciding which one is right.

Has anyone tried the hinge boot? I tried them on and they are different. Not sure I would want to skate in them.

Rinkside
    -
    Last edited by JFiguresk8; 11-16-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Custom Title
    I love my Harlicks and cannot imagine changing to another brand of boot. Heavy? Sure they are. When I sent mine back to Harlick for some minor eyelet adjustment I discovered they weighed 6 pounds, blades included. But they are what I adored and I begged my mother to buy me Harlicks and Phantom blades some 35 years ago. She wouldn't buy me the Coveted Skates until I could land a consistent axel.

I'd like to try some of the other boots on the market. But I have extra wide feet in front and an extremely small heel. Matter of fact, one time I volunteered to be the foot the Skate Expert was going to use to demonstrate how to fit a skate properly. Ummm.........he really tried, but there was nothing stock he could have used. I finally let the poor guy know that I needed custom boots. Sorry to get off topic there, but back to the first sentence in the paragraph........wouldn't it be great if we could go somewhere and try on boots in different sizes, styles and manufacturer?

I won't try to tell you they're not stiff at first. Very. Sometimes painfully. But they last me a long time and once they're broken in they never gave me a minute's trouble.

One more thing......I give great credit to my boot fitter.

Thanks, everyone

Every time I see this post, I think I really have no place in posting here (the Lutz in general) for I really stink in reality. Better then anyone I personally know doesn't cut it for me. I like the Riedells, fit my foot but kinda crampy after a while.

Anyway, every time I see the post I think the same thing -
    My favorite skates are the ones I had when I was a kid, because it didn't hurt as much when I fell on them.

Rinkside
    I've been skating on custom Harlicks for 3 years and they aren't too bad. I had stock SP Teri (super teri) and LOVED them. When I get new boots, I'll probably go for either Harlick or Klingbeil, leaning towards Harlick. They aren't the most Comfortable, but they last forever.

I will ALWAYS skate on Phantom blades, till I die.

Banned
    My latest boots are REALLY annoying me. Well just the left one anyway. The tongue keeps slipping down into the boot and pinching my toes after about 20 minutes in practice. Any suggestions???

Tripping on the Podium
    2 possible suggestions: get cotton or part-cotton laces -- they generally hold tighter, giving your tongue less room to slip.

Also, most shoemakakers and skate fitters can add a loop at the top of the tongue that you slip around one of the hooks. It's generally used to keep the tongue from slipping sideways, but it might work in this case too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast