Which skaters are wearing Gold in their costumes, this season? | Golden Skate

Which skaters are wearing Gold in their costumes, this season?

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I know Sasha is bringing hers to National's. :) I don't think it's a good sign if a skater chooses to wear silver in an olympic season, but that's my superstition. But I also think it helps with confidance, just a tad. Seeing yourself as the winner, that is.

Who else is wearing Gold, this season? :)

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I think Sasha's LP costume is beautiful this year, but it looks like it has just slight hints of gold in it.. It's more flesh colored to me.. I think the suddleness of it works..

Linny

Final Flight
Gracious

Equestrianguy, suddleness? You meant subtleness, right?

Linny

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Didn't Tara's OGM dress have silver on it? Gold on her dress didn't help Kwan in 2002 or at 2005 Worlds;) .

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Fumie Suguri's latest LP dress -- the one that she wore at Japanese Nationals -- is a blend of golden & coppery tones. It's gorgeous. Danielle Kahle will be wearing gold in her 'Beauty & the Beast' LP at US Nationals.

Golden (or yellowish-gold) dresses haven't won the gold at Olympics, although they've come pretty close:

* 1976 - Diane DeLeeuw
* 1980 - Dagmar Lurz
* 1994 - Nancy Kerrigan

Kristi Yamaguchi wore black with golden trim, so I supposed that it helped her.

p.s. - On the men's side...somehow I can picture Michael Weiss wearing gold. Can't say why, but I could imagine him in gold lame!

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
If Jeff brings back his old costume for Samson and Delilah, there isn't gold, but there is kind of a bronze-ish colour to its sequins... and considering he's a contendor for the bronze...

Samson & Delilah

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Bestemianova/Bukin wore gold lame for Prince Igor free dance at the 88 Olys. They won.

S

SkateFan4Life

Frau Muller said:
Fumie Suguri's latest LP dress -- the one that she wore at Japanese Nationals -- is a blend of golden & coppery tones. It's gorgeous. Danielle Kahle will be wearing gold in her 'Beauty & the Beast' LP at US Nationals.

Golden (or yellowish-gold) dresses haven't won the gold at Olympics, although they've come pretty close:

* 1976 - Diane DeLeeuw
* 1980 - Dagmar Lurz
* 1994 - Nancy Kerrigan

Kristi Yamaguchi wore black with golden trim, so I supposed that it helped her.

p.s. - On the men's side...somehow I can picture Michael Weiss wearing gold. Can't say why, but I could imagine him in gold lame!

Here's a few other "gold medal dresses"

-- Peggy Fleming wore a chartreuse dress in 1968.
-- Trixi Schuba wore a blue dress in 1972.
-- Dorothy Hamill wore an "American Beauty Rose" dress in 1976.
-- Annet Poetzsch wore a multi-colored pastel dress in 1980.
-- Katarina Witt wore a raspberry dress in 1984.
-- Katarina Witt wore a red and black "Carmen" dress in 1988.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
equestrianguy said:
I think Sasha's LP costume is beautiful this year, but it looks like it has just slight hints of gold in it.. It's more flesh colored to me.. I think the suddleness of it works..

I thought her LP dress was pretty much void of color. Like, an anti-color or something. Very dull, very blah, very ugly. And once again it looks like it was made for someone with a totally different figure that Miss Cohen has.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm assuming he means subtleness.

I remember that Michelle and Nancy wore gold. They were really pretty .

I also remember when Paul Wiley won the silver, his exhibition number was This is the Moment. And it sure was.

orchid

On the Ice
equestrianguy said:

SC is quoted saying "I'm wearing my gold dress for the free skate".

I thought it was buter or pale yellow.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Well, it occured to me to ask, because I got to thinking about Alexei Y. and Evgeni at the 2002 Oly's.. I know Alexei's LP costume was supposed to be "iron" colored, but it looked goldish, and Evgeni wore a silver, and got second. The irony of it was kind of interesting, to me, at least. :)

Eeyora

Final Flight
Cecilia Coolidge who won silver to Sonja Henie back in the thirties wore a silver dress that her mother made her wear and later reflected it was a silly decision.

screech

Final Flight
Hehe, not a costume, but after coming 2nd at Worlds last year, Jeff bought a silver car - a BMW nonetheless (and he joked that this year he wants a gold one)

S

SkateFan4Life

I really liked Kristi Yamaguchi's gold and black dress from the 1992 Olympics. It was stunning, and she looked gorgeous! :love: