Jr. Dance CD's | Golden Skate

Jr. Dance CD's

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm copying the notes I just typed on FSU over here. I am WAY not good enough at this to catch technical details, and especially not on every skater team. So these are just the highlights that stood out for me.

Well, I'm "no teknick" in pairs and singles, which means I'm "negative teknik" for dance. Here are a few of my notes. The waltz was first and the pasa doble 2nd. Side note - I'm really glad I watched this because I want to learn more about dance and I feel I learned a lot watching different couples doing the same exact dance over and over.

I hope the results are up by now on line. I wrote down scores but don't have time right now to manually figure out the standings.

Waltz (vienna waltz maybe? see what I mean about teknik?)

Stand out in the first group was Samuelson/Bates. During the warm up I felt sorry for them - this was the Rusty Hanger of all the costumes of the day. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to keep these young men and ladies in costumes!! I want to send them all a lotto ticket. Anyway, their dance was a stand out, and they ended up second after everyone was done. I was so happy for them!

Group 2 - just a note on Rosenthal / Taylor. I made a note that she looked more talented than he. Amazing who you meet on the smoking porch. I talked to Calvin's mom. It was interesting to learn that this is their 1st year in Jr.'s, they've battled some injuries / surgeries this year, Rosenthal is also competing Nov singles and is currently 5th - and has to do her FS this afternoon after 2 CD's this AM. She said Calvin was VERY nervous and tense - maybe that explains my note. They did MUCH better in the PD dance with much better scores. I was quite happy for Calvin's mom, and of course this team.

Miosi / Ponomarev - their scores aren't in the top top, but this team is unforgettable. Just their look as a couple - her gorgeous asian look (hope that doesn't offend anyone - it's just the truth about her beauty) to his very light skin and RED red hair (shoulder length or so to boot). And IMO, they sure show a lot of ATTITUDE on the ice. That was true for both dances.

Gustovson / Schmidt - She is the perfect vision of a blonde Texas belle!!
smile1.gif
They had a really nice skate going, and on the 3rd round of the pattern when they were almost done somebody caught and edge and she went down.
frown1.gif
She was devastated (understandably). For the first time, a couple of toys were thrown to the ice. They picked them up before the cute little flower girls could get there. I think the flower girls were just as disappointed about not getting there in time as she was about the fall. Later on, a few more toys went to the ice for other teams, and those little girls FLEW from the other end of the rink.
smile1.gif
This team did better in the PD, but I'm not so sure the PD rythem is their best. She was trying to display that attitude without smile, but I don't think that works well on her. I also imagine the fall in the first dance may have had them rattled. (it would me, that's for sure!!)

Davis and White - they are a nice couple to watch. Felt the need to comment as they are in the lead after both dances. Wish there was something voidier about them to report from my perspective. Similar comments for Summersett / Pennington - enjoyed watching them, they are currently in 3rd, no voids worth noting.

Costumes in general. LOL, I kept writing down what everyone was wearing to help me remember them. During the PD, it was "red with black trim and gold sparkles." "Black with Red trim." and on, and on, and on. So....I must note two teams worth recognizing in the costume category. Samuelson / Bates redeemed themselves IMO in the PD. He in purple jacket with SILVER sparkles, and her in purple dress with silver sparkles. 2nd place in the Dare To Be Different Costume Contest was Lauten / Hill in Gold and Black, but not a trace of red, unless they were wearing red underwear.

That skycam is as annoying to watch moving around the arena as I thought it was seeing the video from the darn thing on TV.
smile1.gif

OK - off for some lunch and an adult beverage.
smile1.gif
Then will try to catch some Sr. Dance FD practice and then Jr. Men SP.

eliza88

On the Ice
Thanks for the report Doggygirl! I really enjoyed watching Samuelson/Bates at last years Nats...so happy they are in 2nd! I thought they were very talented and well matched.

I remember Rosenthal and Taylor too..they had an unfortunate slip at the end of their FD last year (her leg got cut by the skate blade, he carried her off the ice)...but they were fun to watch.

eliza88