Canadians - Senior Women Qual A - Report | Golden Skate

Canadians - Senior Women Qual A - Report

Rosaleen

Medalist
Hi All,

Things were a little dis-organized today. There weren't any media guides available so I don't have music listings for any of the skaters. Any music shown is what little I managed to identify myself. The marks were announced and only flashed on the board for a few seconds, so it was difficult to double check what I heard, so there are probably some mistakes.

The official results & detailed skater's protocols for Women Group A are posted on the Skate Canada website
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns06/results/c5.pdf

The top 12 in each Q group advance to the short program. The following notes are what I saw while the skater was on the ice and have not been checked against the protocol for mistakes.

It was taking between 4 to 6 minutes for the marks to come up for each skater, which made it a very long event and difficult to keep your attention focused (even though it was the 1st event of the competition). Sorry in advance for the 'not so great' reports today. It will improve tomorrow - I promise. .

CAN Ashlea Jones Start No: 1
Notes: blond, wearing semi sheer black skirt with shades of light blue & pink on bodice / clockwise jumper / 2a turns 2a / 3f might be a bit short revs - not sure now if it was a toe or a flip / popped z / nice outside spread eagle into 3s fell / fly back sit / there's some nice chor touches in here / combo spin is slow, positions a bit weak / coe spiral with good edges - leg extension could be better on all the spirals / 2t / spiral 1a / layback is centered with pleasing pos / 2z2t / O ftwrk is fairly complex & with music good sequences on 1 foot / flycam with layover pos catching foot - nicely done / t 23.47 c 29.06 tot 59.13 /
CAN Chantal Robert Start No: 2
Notes: light purple / missed the start sorting out marks for 1st skater / 2s / 2t I think / combo spin is nice - good speed & held positions / 3l 2ft fell / music is now celtic for the O ftwrk / fly ? Camel spin / 3s under rot fell / spiral 2a - very nice / sideways to classic layback - sideways had a very attractive pos / 3t lean - fell / 3s lean - fell / fly back sit into closing pos / the highlight of the program for me was the O ftwrk / tec 15.75 c 24.20 tot 35.95 /

CAN Jessica Dube Start No: 3
Notes: dark navy sleeves with semi sheer back & gold band - really pretty, I can't describe it properly / 2a2t / 3z way short rot fell - air pos was lovely / 3s hop turn 2a / flycam to catch foot - very pretty spin - great extension & spped / 3z on a lean hands down - short rot but just short / didn't really see the spin - layback / popped flip / back camel to catch foot / music is madame butterfly / spirals were very nice / 2l / her dress has a mandarin feel to it / 2a / combo spin is well done with good positions / it was an elegant, refined performance / 35.25 40.4 tot 73.65 /

CAN Joannie Rochette Start No: 4
Notes: shades of pink with silver sequins / piano / some nice chor to start / 3f had it then caught edge turning forward - didn't go down though / 3z2t / 3l / butterfly back sit is excellent / there was a section in there where I didn't feel the chor went with the music - or was she just behind it? / 3s / 3z turnout / strt ftwrk / layback with variations / 3t2t / back cam sit / there's something - can't put my finger on it but although many of the moves are chor'd to the music - there seems to be many spots where something just isn't right / waxel - saved herself from going down / then a triple double - sal & toe not sure - was busy writing / 49.39 54.47 tot 103.08 /
CAN Megan Smith Start No: 5
Notes: black with turqoise diagonal band / flyback sit / music is lord of the dance / 3l fell out / 2a / flycam ver loopy got close to losing it / she's quite a musical skater / strt steps were very nice & with music until she almost lost it at the end / 3s under rot / layback with foot to head / 2z / 3t under rot stood up / 3l under rot / combo spin was a bit slow especially noted because the music was so fast at the end / 19.48 27.34 tot 44.82 /
CAN Lesley Hawker Start No: 6
Notes: The mission / huge high 3z - gorgeous / 3f fell fully rot / 3l bit of lean but held on / buttfly back camel - nice move - unusual / spiral 3z2t / 3f turnout / nice chor seq with spread eagles / 3s bit forward on landing / combo spin with good speed & positions / ftwrk seq - not sure of shape - too curvey for strt but not enough for serp - 1st half was very well done right with music & everything - 2nd half slowed down a bit to much for me / spiral seq / 2a out of nowhere / flyback sit is excellent / - very good skate - there was a real lightness about her and a connection to the music - thoroughly enjoyed it / 45.81 48.27 tot 91. ? / currently 2nd / .
CAN Courtney Sokal Start No: 7
Notes: red strapless with nice shapes to top / 3f fell / 2t / 3s2t bit forward on sal / spartacus / combo spin is well done / 3l pulled it out - determination / spirals / 2a / layback with foot to head / back cam inside edge to donut / strt steps are with the music bit on simple side / 3t again held off putting her hands down / 3s fell / flycam with good fly & inside edge to donut / 27.27 34.87 -2 tot 60.14 currently 4th /
CAN Stephanie Cameron Start No: 8
Notes: dark blue bathing suit style shading to turqoise then white at hem / 2-1/2 lutz - not quite sure what I saw / 3s bit forward / 2f / 2a / fly back sit is ok nice fly / except for a bit at the opening - there hasn't been any chor up to this point / now the music slow and we have some chor - for a minute / 1f / ugly change in music / strt leg layback is really pretty excellent pos / 2s turns 2t / major music change for strt ftwrk that works quite well with it / 2a turn 2t / trying to figure out the misc and I missed a spin / spirals have good extension / upright spin to end with strtched pos / 27.50 31.87 tot 59.26 currently 5th /
CAN Corinne McKay Start No: 9
Notes: sparkly black top with red leather skirt / don't cry for me argentina / 2a very nice in the air hand down on landing / 3s turnout into boards / 2t could see going up it wouldn't happen / very bad music cut / wobbly on spirals / another bad music cut / fly spin lost it on landing / 2s on a bad lean / 2z turns 2t / sit ch sit / 2l / 2a - again lovely in the air but couldn't land it / she isn't 'finishing' her moves / tot 38.59 currently 8th /
CAN Catherine Nadeau Start No: 10
Notes: shades of orange with skirt gathered at hip / music is a bit weird & dischordant to start - some neat chor to it though / 3s turnout music has become more melodic / 3z 2ft fell / 2l / combo spin is ok - gets very slow towards the end / laybackk spin with foot to head / 2z2t turnout on toe / 3? 2ft under rot / music has changed again and is picking up a bit and getting a little lighter - it's still strange to me and I'm having a hard time keeping interested in her program / strt steps are with the music / 2a under rot sat / flycam with layover into closing pose / not sure of placement / .

CAN Erin Scherrer Start No: 11
Notes: white shading to peach on skirt & peach at one shoulder / high 2z / 3t2t nice height on jumps / very familiar melodic music / popped loop / flycam to sinisde edge nice pos & speed / bailed on salchow / back camel sit with outside edges on both / music slows with some very nice chor & interpretation / ina / 2a great distance / coe spiral / 2a2t / sidways to strt layback - very nice / strt steps with the music / 3t / combo spin to end has good speed & pos with variations / total 73.32 currently 4th /
CAN Marie-Eve Lavigne Start No: 12
Notes: black skirt with black & peach wavey lines over illusion / 3z both hands down / 3t under rot hand down / 3s under rot fell / flycam has excellent speed & very good pos to donut / 2t / coe spiral in one hand catch foot / strt leg layback / 2a / O ftwrk was interesting & with music - quite complex / 2a right with music turns 2t / back cam donut sit upright change to forward spins - the back spins were very nice - forward pos were weak / turns into 2l / total 51.9 currently 7th /
CAN Samantha Houghton Start No: 13
Notes: wasn't on warm-up and didn't hear anything about her wisthdrawing /
CAN Ashton Tessier Start No: 14
Notes: black sparkly long sleeve & gloves with open back / spanish look / 3l really tight on landing flipped out / popped z / 3s / fly sit had no fly - nice spin / a bit of chor / 3l fell / 2z2t / 1a had it then slid off edge / sit spin was pretty / diag ftwrk had some nice one-foot sequences / I missed a jump /then missed the rest of program when I realized I was writing it against Samantha Houghton & not Ashton / tot 62.56 currently 5th /
CAN Cecilia Gauvin Start No: 15
Notes: sparkly black bathing suit style with gold v inset in front / 3s nice air pos - tidy feet / 3t fell / 2a and the music dies - she keeps skating and does the 2 toe - the ref was blowing the whistle evidently but couldn't get any sound out of it - they finally get her to stop / here we go (after about 5 minutes) / nice camel spin / 3l / layback as music trills - very nice pos & speed / I missed something - battery needed changing on laptop / spirals are good / 1a / 2z / combo spin - good pos & speed, just basic pos but well done / back cam sit Y forward sit upright to closing pose / tot 60.85 currently 6th /
CAN Amanda Gilroy Start No: 16
Notes: red with blue band around hips / her right thigh is quite heavily wrapped under her tights / 2a 1t / familiar carribbean music / I missed a jump / 2z1t / by the way the music cut happened - in the middle of her spin - I think she's either way in front or behind her music / 2l / 2f / layback - sideways to strt is very nice - good pos & speed - best feature of the program so far / 2a lightly 2 ft / O ftwrk fell right near end / combo spin is good - nice pos & speed / tot 45.55 currently 12th /
CAN Mylene Brodeur Start No: 17
Notes: baby blue satin effect / some chor & down the ice for a 3z rotated but fell / 2s turns 2t / she has good speed - at least at the start of her program / 2t / diag steps are interesting & with music / sit ch sit with music / music is now very slow & plaintive & some chor to match / 3z light hand down / 2a2t / layback with foot to head - good speed / spirals are ok / 3s fell / combo spin back with multile of pos - all very well done, problems on the change - she fell out of it / into final spin / tot 58.76 currently 9th /

CAN Marie-Christine Grenier Start No: 18
Notes: dark navy or black with gold v inset in front & extending around back - very pretty - think same as last year and I had a hard time describing it then / 2a2t2l / 3s short rot fell / flycam is very nice with basic, but good pos that are sustained / 2a / layback with basic but good & susained pos // music is very definitely Greek / 2z2l / 2a / sorry, I zoned out there for a minute. / 2z / ? Felling just coming out of it / zoned out again - not because of the program, but I didn'/ get mush sleep as I should have last night / tot 60.90 currently ?? /
CAN Kristen Walker Start No: 19
Notes: raspberry coloured dress / 3t1t / 3s turns 2t / camel spin with layover is sustained / bad music cut / 1a2t / 3t / music might be Yellow River Concerto - definitely has an Asian feel to me / spirals have nice height & extension / 2s / 2a / Sorry, I zoned out again (not because there was anything wrong with the program) but the delay in the marks makes things so long / tot 67.29 currently 5th /
CAN Mira Leung Start No: 20
Notes: aqua to turqoise mandarin style dress with black accents & golden dragon on front - very pretty / some very nice chor to start / 3f / 3z turns out / 3s / music changes very dramatic and so does the chor / flycam to donut ends suddenly with music / spirals are chor'd to music / 3t / 2a / part of the music is madame butterly / weird music change for strt ftwrk, but very effective and right with the music / 3z2l / 3f2l2l / cam sit fast one hand beillman donut one hand beillman / everyone around me is very pleasantly surprised at how good this program is / the 'dangly arms ' on the jump entrances are much better than they used to be - there's very obviously an effort been made to improve this / this program was very well choreographed to her strengths and she obviously enjoyed skating it / tot 96.98 currently 2nd /