Canadians - Senior Men Qual A - Report | Golden Skate

Canadians - Senior Men Qual A - Report

Rosaleen

Medalist
The marks were announced and only flashed on the board for a few seconds, so it was difficult to double check what I heard, so there are probably some mistakes.

The following notes are what I saw while the skater was on the ice and have not been checked against the protocol for mistakes.

The official results & detailed skater's protocols are posted on the Skate Canada website (still the start orders when I posted this but the results should be here shortly)
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns06/results/c1.pdf

CAN Jeffrey Buttle Start No: 1
Notes: Music: Samson & Delilah / navy semi sheer top over navy diag orange & green braided trim brown pants - looks much better than it sounds from my description / some neat chor to opening strains / down the ice as music builds a bit / 3f2t / chor into 3t / gorgeous inside spread eagle with arm movment to music / 3a2t nicely done / 1 foot combo spin is lovely / and some chor at centre ice that expresses the music beautifully / 3a from nowhere / dramatic stop & movement right with music / 3l / strt steps are to die for as is the ina that follows / 3z2t2l / 3s / butterfly back sit with pos variations / music changes and builds for 3z right on beat / O ftwrk - what can I say - it is great / back sit with speed & pos variations / combo spin with pos changes with the music / what a start to the event !!!!! / 75.43 78.59 tot 154.02 currently 1st /
CAN Addrian Oleksyszak Start No: 2
Notes: Music: Cherry Tree - Eastern European folk? By costume white blousey shirt green pants with high red boots / some nice folk type moves to open / music is 'bouncey' 3f / poppped z / 3s fell / back open leg spin that works with the music and exits on the same foot - very effective / 2a out of nowhere fell / some semi-comedic folk steps to apprpriate music - very fun & enjoyable to watch / 2t / combo spin is timed with music / some more chor that is great / 3s under rot fell / 3t / (he's also competing in Sr Dance and you can see the dancer in his O ftwrk / flycam sit / S ftwrk is a bit slow but extremely complex and with the music / 2a under rot landed on both feet / into sit ch sit / in spite of the jump problems, it was an enjoyable program to watch and chor'd with the music / 23.53 39.84 ded 3 tot 60.37 currently 2nd /
CAN Ken Rose Start No: 3
Notes: Music: Tangosain white shirt with black lines moving up from waist with pink accents / a bit of chor facing the judges to start / 3z3t quite a lean on the z but pulled it out nicely / music softens a bit for some chor / lots of ftwrk on one foot into 3f again on a lean but clean / 3a under rot fell / 3l / music speed up for O ftwrk that is interesting & with music / cam with excellent extention start the combo spin nice clean pos good speed & centering / fly forward sit with great fly & tuck - nice spin / pause for some emoting type chor / he's moving really well / spread eagle into 3z - pitched way forward on landing after bad lean but pulled it off again / 3f3t / flycam with great extension / strt ftwrk is very well done and with music and Linda is clapping to push him along / 3s2t / buttfly back sit to inside edge then back sit with pos variation / nice chor into ending pose / 54.90 51.32 ded 1 tot 105.22 currently 2nd /

CAN William Lindsay Start No: 4
Notes: yellow shirt shading to grey at waist & black pants / children of dune soundtrack / nice forward charlotte to opening chord / 2a / 3s bit underrotated and ticght but he hung onto it / 2z2t (intentional - don't think he has a 3z) / very nice sit ch sit / 3t kind of bailed after 2 revs / 2a landed on toe pick & hopped but stayed on one foot / combo spin is well done with stretched pos / he has a very nice spiral which he used to effect throughout the program / 2f turnout / 2z flipped out / O ftwrk uses whole body and the music very well - nice set of twizzles in there / 2f / back cam starts combo spin leg at side lost balance / diag ftwrk again is very expressive & with the music / walley flying forward sit is well done into closing pos / just to put things into prespective - he's 22 and his competitive record shows: 2004 National starskate 1st (gold) in the Triathalon / 23.23 32.92 ded 1 tot 55.15 currently 4th /
CAN Shawn Sawyer Start No: 5
Notes: Music: warsaw concerto black with dark blue sprakles / some nice dramatic chor / 3f2t might have 2ft the flip couldn't see clearly / 3a good height again might have 2ft hard to see from my angle / 2z / nice ina that is held / cam spin with pos to die for gorgeous layout on back cam / shawn spiral almost full circle / 2a landed right on beat of music / some emoting chor into O ftwrk as music becomes more lyrical and so does his movement / walley split jump 3l turnouts 3t / 3s2t2l / back cam with great pos & inside edge / music is really buildling for spread eagle seq into 3f pitched forward but kept it clean / death drop with great spin / strt steps use the music well - nicely done / I just missed a jump - 2a according to sheet / combo spin ending in his trademark stretched position / good skate / 56.72 65.17 tot 121.89 currently 2nd /
CAN Christopher Mabee Start No: 6
Notes: Music: 6 difference pieces listed wearing black shirt under light brown pants & suspenders / some chor to dramatic opening straing in to blues good movemnt into 3l on a lean but good / 3a turnout but stayed on one foot / jazzy music now 3z3t nice tight air pos / backsit spin great pos & good speed / deathdrop again with good spin / some very dramtic chor that is just great / music changes to soft piano and suitable chor / 2a3t / 3f / 3z / pause at end for strt ftwrk to a march with snare drums - very nicely timed to the music / 3s into a dramatic crouch in front of judges / now some playing around chor right into a 2a - I have to see this chor from the front / I just lost track of what I wanted to write - O ftwrk is just great - payful & he's having fun with it & so is the crowd into final spin that is really done well / great skate - this is a very good program for him - choreograhed to his strengths and he showed it off well / 63.86 62.42 tot 126.28 currently 2nd /
CAN Patrick Chan Start No: 7
Notes: Music: about 6 different pieces / black velvet with red accents / 3s / huge death drop with very nice spin with variations / music is building / very nice smooth turns into 3l / O ftwrk flows very well - good speed a few sets of twizzles / 3z2t2l / some chor / 2a / some more chor into back cam very nice line & extension ch cam good speed on both / trumpet fanfare as he moves down the ice 3f / strt ftwrk is right with music & fairly complex / walley 3t3t stepped out of 2nd / 3z fell out / sit spin was very good until last pos when it really slowed / spread eagle 2a step out / combo spin is excellent - went on forever with very good speed & pos / 59.08 59.91 tot 118.99 currently 4th /
CAN Leo-Paul Dufour Start No: 8
Notes: withdrew

CAN Karl Herbert Start No: 9
Notes: Music: 1492 brown tunic over beige shirt / 2a turns 3t fell out / 3z fell pretty close to fully rot / almost lost camel of combo spin but hung on to do sit ch sit / 2l fell out fell / 2f / flycam is ok / music has softened & slows for a spiral seq that is ok / 2s bit sloppy / upright spin with variations / 2z2t / strt steps are with the music - not bad / 1a / 2t had it then fell / sit ch sit is centered with good speed - not bad position / his goal was to qualify - don't think he's going to do it / 17.82 25.33 ded 4 tot 39.15 currently 8th /

CAN Marc-Andre Craig Start No: 10
Notes: Music: I will wait for you / dark turqoise velvet top black pants / very slow simple piano melody and a bit of chor / 3a step out / 2l went up crooked - wild / more instruments have joined and it’s a jazzy version of the same / 3f3t / combo spin started with nice camel / 3z - very nice landing pos / strt steps as music speed up - very nice / spread eagle & eying judges as music slows / sit spin with variations / 2a2t / there's some nice chor touches but also some empty gaps where there isn't much of anything / some dancing now to jazzy version / 3s / flysit very nice pos / O ftwrk as music changes & bump & grind version and his O ftwrk work s very well with it / 2a / 2a / butterfly into back cam has movement timed perfectly with the music / 55.59 55.16 tot 110.75 currently 5th /
CAN Kevin Reynolds Start No: 11
Notes: Music Varekai / Ombra by corradi + snake food by Safri Duo / purple top vest effect with gold trim & black pants with white stripe / a bit of chor / 2a / 3z step out / there's no chor justskating from move to move / 3s / sorry I lost track a bit - looking at the planned sheet to figure out if the sal was a 3 or 4 cause it was 2ft and realized I didn't have a sheet for him - then got behind and can't remember what jumps I missed / O ftwrk is with the music but seemed very simple to me / 3f2t2l / diag ftwrk is quite complex and with the music - well done / combo spin start with nice camel good pos then to sit variations & upright variations - nice spin / 64.18 41.42 tot 105.60 currently 6th /
CAN Michael Elias Start No: 12
Notes: Music: Art on Ice & carmina Burana white blouse shirt with black tunic effect / some movement to wind sounds works well / down the ice for 3f stumbled out / 2a turnout 2t / bailed on sal / O ftwrk as music speed up flows well / deathdrop to nice sit spin centered with good speed & pos / some chor at centre ice as music flows / 3t fell / 2z / music has picked up for combo spin - nice camel & sit pos to open leg - nice spin / low hydro blade rising while holding foot effective / 2s / 2t 1t / 1a / back xfoot - pretty good but not long enough / strt ftwrk is soso / back cam weak pos into sit / 21.03 32.74 ded 1 tot 52.77 currently 10th /
CAN Daniel Eden Start No: 13
Notes: Music: Don Juan / black with purple velvet bolero effect / some nice chor into gorgeous headless xfoot spin / 3t2t / 3s 2ft fell out / 2a2t2l bit squeaky on l but done / flysit with nice spin variation / there isn't a lot of chor in this program except some moves at obvious spots / popped l / O ftwrk is with the music but doesn't build quite as much as the music does / 3t hand down / 1a / 2l / nice spiral / 2f2t / pause at end for strt ftwrk that is nicely chor'd to music / flycam with excellent pos to sit to xfoot - nice spin / combo spin ends in xfoot - not a bad spin - good pos but a little slow / he's happy with that skate / 33.71 40.42 tot 74.13 currently 8th /
CAN John Mattatall Start No: 14
Notes: Music Dune / light grey at shoulders shading to black pants / 3t2t / 2a / nice fly cam with pos variations to sit - very good speed on whole spin / 2 tano z / 3s / pause at centre ice for some chor to slow music nicely done / 3l / back sit is fast with edge change to front sit with pos variations / diag ftwrk seems a bit simple but moves very well & with music / 2f 2ft hands down / 3t / music is building for S ftwrk that again moves well & with music / he has very good speed & flow over the ice / 2a / death drop / back cam with variations to sit to forward cam sit upright with variations / 38.40 43.93 tot 82.33 currently 8th /

CAN Tyler Cochrane Start No: 15
Notes: Music: Song of Singapore overture red black & white top black pants with white line across back & down leg / some interesting chor to rain sounds / 3z turns 3t / this is beethovan / popped flip / 2a / deathdrop to inside edge sit / cam spin needs extension to sit ch sit ending in slow xfoot / now ode to joy / 3l 2ft stumbled out / strt ftwrk is ok / 3z 2ft - very high though / 2a step out 2t step out / went to go into sal but didn't do it timing off? Not sure / 2thop turn 2t / back sit with pos variations / music is really building but his moves don't / O ftwrk is soso / combo spin to end / 29.43 34.32 tot 63.75 currently 10th /
CAN Marc-Olivier Bossee Start No: 16
Notes: Music The Red Violin black with red velvet top with gold trim in violin shape - gorgeous & a gorgeous program if I remember right from last year / some nice opening moves into back upright spin that sped up and slowed with the music / 3l fell / popped z / some nice chor / popped flip / flycam is fast with gorgeous extension / music builds for O steps then slows during them - chor works with it well / music changes & becomes melodic & melancholy / 2a / 2z / 2l step out / butterfly back sit with nice variations / music is building during strts steps - well chor'd to music uses whole body / 2t / 2a / combo spin with A - sit pos were very good / 28.34 48.41 ded 1 tot 75.75 currently 9th /
CAN Nicolas Young Start No: 17
Notes: Music: Swing Medley / black vneck sweater & pants over orange shirt / some neat chor to start right with music - works great / spread eagle 3z flipped out / 3a leaning outside the circle fell out / 3t2t2l / huge death drop nice variations in spin / 3l turnout / 3a huge / some spread eagles then split jump with bluesy music / 3s flipped out / spin that I didn't really see / diag ftwrk completely in char of the music looks like he was having fun with it / 3f high / back cam with great extension starts an interest combo spin - nice variations in pos / some fun chor now into O ftwrk that works really well with the jazzy music / back shoot duck into 2a / butterfly back camel into xfoot / 54.47 58.50 tot 112.97 currently 5th /

emma

Record Breaker
These are great reports, thanks so much!!!!! I can't wait to see Buttle do this program. Nice to hear Mabee and Saywer are in the mix.

rain

Record Breaker
Sounds like Jeff was great, but didn't put absolutely everything out there in his first skate - perfect strategy. Will be interesting to see if he tries the quad in the long. Sounds like he is right in his comfort zone - something I got the feeling he never found with his Glen Gould tribute, lovely as the program was. Can't wait to see this. With such a good qualifier they may broadcast it.