U.S. Nationals - Senior Original Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Senior Original Dance

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Good to see how well the 'recently naturalized US Citizens' are faring! Here's to the 'new Olympic-eligible teams':

B/A in FIRST place (no surprise!)
Matthews/Zavozin - 3rd place
Stiegler/Mageroski - 6th place

This would be the top three had the 'Belbin Amendment' not passed US Congress & subsequent naturalization ceremonies not taken place:

1. Gregory/Petukhov (in reality, 2nd)
2. Silverstein/O'Meara (in reality, 4th)
3. Navarro/Bommetre (in reality, 5th)

Third through sixth places seem especially tight....86.79 pts for #3 and 82.56 pts for #6. Finals will be very interesting. How nice that ESPN-2 will be covering it LIVE for us. Wooo-hooo!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
It's my understanding that Sergey was naturalized on his own, that is w/o the help of "Tanith" amendment. I am pretty sure he is married to the US citizen and gained the US citizenship faster than others, like Denis Petukhov.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Good to see how well the 'recently naturalized US Citizens' are faring! Here's to the 'new Olympic-eligible teams':

B/A in FIRST place (no surprise!)
Matthews/Zavozin - 3rd place
Stiegler/Mageroski - 6th place

This would be the top three had the 'Belbin Amendment' not passed US Congress & subsequent naturalization ceremonies not taken place:

1. Gregory/Petukhov (in reality, 2nd)
2. Silverstein/O'Meara (in reality, 4th)
3. Navarro/Bommetre (in reality, 5th)

Third through sixth places seem especially tight....86.79 pts for #3 and 82.56 pts for #6. Finals will be very interesting. How nice that ESPN-2 will be covering it LIVE for us. Wooo-hooo!

Last time I checked, G-R/M were in 7th overall...and since there is generally not a lot of movement in dance (excpet, this year, 3-7 may move a lot), it looks like G-R/M are fairing even worse than Mrs. Mitchell intended. Even if the "Tanith" ammendment wasn't signed, they wouldn't make it anyhow.

Nice to see Silverstein doing well. I'm torn between her and Matthews/Zavozin taking the 3rd spot...but I'm leaning toward Matthews/Zavozin since I gues I'm not convinced that Silverstein didn't just come back because there was a shot at going to the olympics. While there is nothing wrong with that, I think that Matthews/Zavozin are dedicated to the sport and are in it for the long haul (not to mention, are doing very well on the JGP and GP level)

Darby

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
It's my understanding that Sergey was naturalized on his own, that is w/o the help of "Tanith" amendment. I am pretty sure he is married to the US citizen and gained the US citizenship faster than others, like Denis Petukhov.
Yes, here is a link to the article. As a spouse of a citizen, he was eligible after only 3 years. Though it's interesting that he only got it on 12/29/05, same week as Tanith and Max.

Dyan

On the Ice
Ptichka, I think that Sergey receiving is citizenship when he did is just a coincidence. IIRC during Portland Nationals it was mentioned that Sergey would receive his citizenship by the end of the year.