Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sasha recovering from the flu

Where's a moderator when you need one? I think they are all at Nationals? How could a I forget........Oh, Mathman!!!!!!

Skater Girl
    As I said in another thread--if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Good luck at Nats, Sasha, and get better!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    As I said in another thread--if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Good luck at Nats, Sasha, and get better!
    I don't see what is "not nice" about pointing out that Sasha probably does not have the flu.

Ballroom Baby
    Ask anyone who's had a run-in with an actual flu virus--you aren't up and practicing any time soon. I got zapped by something when I started school last winter (all those new people crowded into a new place = new germs) and I spent about 48 hours almost unable to move. Couldn't eat, could barely sleep, was in horrific pain and discomfort, had trouble keeping liquids down but had to force it or be dehydrated--genuine flus are not something you get up and over in a matter of days. I was up after about two days, but didn't really feel BETTER for amost two weeks.

That said, even a little head cold can making skating a pain by screwing with your equilibrium. So whatever cold variant she has, hopefully Sasha will feel better. I'm sure she's caught SOMETHING--people who travel so much frequently do. Actual influenza? Highly unlikely. Enough to affect her performance? Let's wait and see how she does first, and hear what she and her coach say then.

Skater Girl
    I know that when I often get sick I'll be like "oh, it's a flu bug" but it isn't. So maybe that's why Sasha and Co are saying it's flu. Most people tend to identify flu when it's not really -- it's probably a cold of some kind that involved fever and stuff.

Skater Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    I don't see what is "not nice" about pointing out that Sasha probably does not have the flu.
    I don't see why people are just whining about how she probably doesn't have the flu (I don't think so either; as I just said in my previous post, it's probably a cold...people misidentify things all the time when they don't go to a doctor and I doubt Sasha did). I'm saying it's not nice to keep insinuating Sasha is a liar and that she makes excuses all the time when we should just be saying "Get better!". But of course people who dislike Sasha won't say anything nice about her anyway.

Down With It
    Wow, why the outcry people? She is sick, and is getting better. She'll be fine in time for Thurs. and Sat. End of story.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    Ask anyone who's had a run-in with an actual flu virus--you aren't up and practicing any time soon. I got zapped by something when I started school last winter (all those new people crowded into a new place = new germs) and I spent about 48 hours almost unable to move. Couldn't eat, could barely sleep, was in horrific pain and discomfort, had trouble keeping liquids down but had to force it or be dehydrated--genuine flus are not something you get up and over in a matter of days. I was up after about two days, but didn't really feel BETTER for amost two weeks.

That said, even a little head cold can making skating a pain by screwing with your equilibrium. So whatever cold variant she has, hopefully Sasha will feel better. I'm sure she's caught SOMETHING--people who travel so much frequently do. Actual influenza? Highly unlikely. Enough to affect her performance? Let's wait and see how she does first, and hear what she and her coach say then.

well it sounds like you had a stomach flu,this is more of the coughing,sore throat etc...flu.As to whether a person can recover that quickly..the answer is yes.I read an article in i think Skating where she talked about her eating habits....a persons eating habits have alot to do with how quickly they recover as does what they do WHILE they are sick.Like i have mentioned before...my husband caught that creepin crud(same thing from the sound of her symp) he was down for like 3-4 days,he eats....junk....doesn't matter what i try to feed him at home ,at work,he eats junk food,he comes home,he eats cookies and candy and drink soda etc..etc..etc... I on the other hand,eat mostly fruits and veggies...3-6 times a day*I have low blood sugar so i eat 6 small meals*I eat ALOT of vitamin C rich foods...especially when he came down sick...first thing i did was go pour myself a glass of grapefruit juice and downed it and did that a few times a day,plus eating kiwi and apples etc..etc...I didn't eat hardly any sweets,because sugar weakens your immune system. When I DID start catching it....because of my boosting my immune system,before hand....i wasn't sick but a few days. And what i read about Sasha....she eats alot like I do...lots of fruit and veggies and lean proteins.So it doesn't suprise me if she recovered more quickly than most of those who catch it do.Doesn't mean she is 100% I just read an article at another board and they said how.."blah"she looked. tired and thinner.So she IS sick,poor thing. So why don't we wish she gets well instead of debating as to whether or not she's really sick,just because you want someone else to win the Nationals. I wouldn't wish a illness on any of the skaters whether i like their skating or not or accuse them of faking for that matter.

Custom Title
    Wow, this thread is really nice. Calling other posters "i.....t" which, I assume, meant "idiot" just because they doubt that Sasha has the flu? I mean, come on. So they doubt it? So what? That's their opinion. I mean, if you really look at the past couple of years when Sasha has NOT skated well, she's truly had an excuse for it.

However, with that said, looking at some of the pictures of her from practice, her face is a little stuffy looking like she has a horrible head cold. That's not the flu, but head colds, if they are really bad, can put you on your back, give you similar symptoms to the flu without the vomiting and stuff, and screw up your balance completely. So I hope she is better, but head colds linger longer than some flu viruses.

Me? I am not a medical professional and wouldn't tell anyone I was even if I was because you just get reamed anyway. But as a mother, I have seen my fair share of flus, stomach viruses, head colds, sinus infections, one case of rheumatic fever and one brain injury. With that said, my sinus infections get so bad that a couple of times, doctors have misdiagnosed them as influenza.

So I wish Sasha to get better and skate well. I wish all of them to do their very best otherwise Nationals will be d*** dull.

Custom Title
    On The Today how, this morining, the cameras were on Sasha while she was practicing, she seemed to be in top shape from what I saw. Now that's that.

Shoe Diva
    Wow... how can you tell that this season is different? Posters are actually arguing over whether Sasha has the flu vs. a cold!

This time last year we were debating about the number of triples in a program, why the US wasn't using CoP and SkyCam. This year its all about: She has the flu! No, she doesn't! I'm a nurse! I'm a doctor! Your an idiot! No, your a moron! Its all a bit much!!

Skaters get the flu or flu-like sympoms every year ~ generally around competition time. Why? Nerves. Sweating while being cold. Its pumped into the arena by crazy fans with too much medical experience and time on their hands. I don't know but this thread is highly amusing!

Custom Title
    I believe that she either has or is recovering from a cold. Why so many haters out there!?!?

With that being said, if Sasha does not win this competition, sans MK, it will be a humiliating loss - cold or no cold.

I hope she skates well.

Custom Title
    JMO, but I think people are whining about it b/c it seems that Sasha is already getting her excuse ready in case she doesn't win.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    JMO, but I think people are whining about it b/c it seems that Sasha is already getting her excuse ready in case she doesn't win.
    See, Soogar, I told you it wasn't just Kwan Nation that gets all in a tizzy...

We're all a bunch of crazy people...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3