Sasha recovering from the flu | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha recovering from the flu

bronxgirl

Medalist
if she has the flu get well, if she has a bad head cold, get well, if it's shingles again, get well. It's just that she and her coach have used these illnesses in the past as an excuse for why she didn't skate her best. I hope she heals compleely for her skate. If she doesn't, don't blame the head cold.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
kyla2 said:
Some of you people are pathetic. Get over yourselves. Quite a few of the comments on this thread are extremely shabby and say quite a bit about the poster and NOT Sasha. Instead of the vitriol , how about a "get well soon Sasha."
Maybe we've all just heard the "I had shingles" and "I had pneumonia" and "I had the bubonic plague" one too many times, remember the little boy who cried wolf?

kyla2

Final Flight
Enough

She is not a liar and neither is her coach. That's what you would have to believe if you don't believe she has a cold or the flu. Now why for the love of GOD is it easier to believe she is lying, than to believe she is telling the truth. The flu and the common cold are rampant this time of year so give the kid a break. If she claimed to have the plague you would have a point, but she didn't, and you don't.

heyang

Record Breaker
Well, perhaps it's better that she get the flu now. The Olympic village is infamous for the flu. It's a big party, people overdue it and don't get enough rest and are in close quarters. I think that's why many of the ladies usually go off site during part of the Olympics since their event is so late - they need to get away from the 'fun' andconcentrate on what's ahead and get enough rest, etc.

As others have pointed out, the flu vaccine does not protect you from everything. Also, some people have bad reactions to the vaccines and are better off risking possibly getting the flu as opposed to definitely having the flu (because you are given the flu in the vaccine). My aunt never had the flu. One year, the prediction was for a really bad flu and she had many big projects at work. She decided to get the vaccine and ended up in the emergency room because her body reacted to it so violently. To this day, she has not gotten the flu other than that one year.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
If you think she's faking why don't you go to the competition and let her cough in your face and then when you come down with it...let's see if she was faking.:cool:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
kyla2 said:
She is not a liar and neither is her coach. That's what you would have to believe if you don't believe she has a cold or the flu. Now why for the love of GOD is it easier to believe she is lying, than to believe she is telling the truth. The flu and the common cold are rampant this time of year so give the kid a break. If she claimed to have the plague you would have a point, but she didn't, and you don't.
Apparently you've never heard of sarcasm. But basically, asside from the plague comment WHICH WAS CLEARLY MEANT AS A JOKE, I meant what I said. CampCohen(tm) makes a big deal over everything, to the point where it really does sound like they are all making excuses. FYI, the flu is not rampant this time of year. More common than during summer months, yes, but like I said before the true flu (which I absolutely do not think that Sasha has) is far less common than is believed by the general public. Sasha's symptoms and her quick recovery are not consistant with those of the real honest to goodness influenza virus. I still say it is nothing more than a cold, and they are blowing everything out of proportion just to cover their asses incase she self-destructs again.

kyla2

Final Flight
You Are...

You are an i---t. I am a health care professional and you clearly are not. The flu shots are given in the fall and early winter because that's when the flu is most prevalent at this time of year. Get your facts right before you speak. Furthermore, a bad cold can lay you flat in bed for a week. You are just one very mean spirited individual with an axe to grind.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:

Totally agreed, and I have to say I find some of the comments in this thread disturbing. So she's said before that she's had illnesses in the last five or six years. Um, so have I, and I'm not lying about it. Why would anyone assume she is?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
kyla2 said:
You are an i---t. I am a health care professional and you clearly are not. The flu shots are given in the fall and early winter because that's when the flu is most prevalent at this time of year. Get your facts right before you speak. Furthermore, a bad cold can lay you flat in bed for a week. You are just one very mean spirited individual with an axe to grind.
And I have my degree in biology, and that included courses in Immunology and Virology. Yes, we all know when the flu is more prevalent, did I not just say that yes this is the time of year when you see it? Get your eyes checked. But I repeat, the REAL INFLUENZA VIRUS is NOT as common as is believed by the general public. People get a little fever and a sniffle and immediately assume that they have the flu, when in fact it is more likely one of thousands of cold viruses. And yes, a bad cold is unpleasant, but it cannot compare with the flu. I am not mean spirited, I am just telling what I know, and that from what I can see Sasha is blowing this cold out of proportion, as are her fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
rain said:
Totally agreed, and I have to say I find some of the comments in this thread disturbing. So she's said before that she's had illnesses in the last five or six years. Um, so have I, and I'm not lying about it. Why would anyone assume she is?
Because her illnesses always come at a convenient time i.e. when she has not skated well. That's where my problem lies, she is ALWAYS "sick" when she's not performing well. Once or twice I could understand, but it happens all the time.

heyang

Record Breaker
Where's a moderator when you need one? I think they are all at Nationals? How could a I forget........Oh, Mathman!!!!!!

Lanie

On the Ice
As I said in another thread--if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Good luck at Nats, Sasha, and get better! :rock:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Lanie said:
As I said in another thread--if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Good luck at Nats, Sasha, and get better! :rock:
I don't see what is "not nice" about pointing out that Sasha probably does not have the flu.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Ask anyone who's had a run-in with an actual flu virus--you aren't up and practicing any time soon. I got zapped by something when I started school last winter (all those new people crowded into a new place = new germs) and I spent about 48 hours almost unable to move. Couldn't eat, could barely sleep, was in horrific pain and discomfort, had trouble keeping liquids down but had to force it or be dehydrated--genuine flus are not something you get up and over in a matter of days. I was up after about two days, but didn't really feel BETTER for amost two weeks.

That said, even a little head cold can making skating a pain by screwing with your equilibrium. So whatever cold variant she has, hopefully Sasha will feel better. I'm sure she's caught SOMETHING--people who travel so much frequently do. Actual influenza? Highly unlikely. Enough to affect her performance? Let's wait and see how she does first, and hear what she and her coach say then.

Lanie

On the Ice
I know that when I often get sick I'll be like "oh, it's a flu bug" but it isn't. So maybe that's why Sasha and Co are saying it's flu. Most people tend to identify flu when it's not really -- it's probably a cold of some kind that involved fever and stuff.

Lanie

On the Ice
dancindiva03 said:
I don't see what is "not nice" about pointing out that Sasha probably does not have the flu.

I don't see why people are just whining about how she probably doesn't have the flu (I don't think so either; as I just said in my previous post, it's probably a cold...people misidentify things all the time when they don't go to a doctor and I doubt Sasha did). I'm saying it's not nice to keep insinuating Sasha is a liar and that she makes excuses all the time when we should just be saying "Get better!". But of course people who dislike Sasha won't say anything nice about her anyway.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, why the outcry people? She is sick, and is getting better. She'll be fine in time for Thurs. and Sat. End of story.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
julietvalcouer said:
Ask anyone who's had a run-in with an actual flu virus--you aren't up and practicing any time soon. I got zapped by something when I started school last winter (all those new people crowded into a new place = new germs) and I spent about 48 hours almost unable to move. Couldn't eat, could barely sleep, was in horrific pain and discomfort, had trouble keeping liquids down but had to force it or be dehydrated--genuine flus are not something you get up and over in a matter of days. I was up after about two days, but didn't really feel BETTER for amost two weeks.

That said, even a little head cold can making skating a pain by screwing with your equilibrium. So whatever cold variant she has, hopefully Sasha will feel better. I'm sure she's caught SOMETHING--people who travel so much frequently do. Actual influenza? Highly unlikely. Enough to affect her performance? Let's wait and see how she does first, and hear what she and her coach say then.

well it sounds like you had a stomach flu,this is more of the coughing,sore throat etc...flu.As to whether a person can recover that quickly..the answer is yes.I read an article in i think Skating where she talked about her eating habits....a persons eating habits have alot to do with how quickly they recover as does what they do WHILE they are sick.Like i have mentioned before...my husband caught that creepin crud(same thing from the sound of her symp) he was down for like 3-4 days,he eats....junk....doesn't matter what i try to feed him at home ,at work,he eats junk food,he comes home,he eats cookies and candy and drink soda etc..etc..etc... I on the other hand,eat mostly fruits and veggies...3-6 times a day*I have low blood sugar so i eat 6 small meals*I eat ALOT of vitamin C rich foods...especially when he came down sick...first thing i did was go pour myself a glass of grapefruit juice and downed it and did that a few times a day,plus eating kiwi and apples etc..etc...I didn't eat hardly any sweets,because sugar weakens your immune system. When I DID start catching it....because of my boosting my immune system,before hand....i wasn't sick but a few days. And what i read about Sasha....she eats alot like I do...lots of fruit and veggies and lean proteins.So it doesn't suprise me if she recovered more quickly than most of those who catch it do.Doesn't mean she is 100% I just read an article at another board and they said how.."blah"she looked. tired and thinner.So she IS sick,poor thing. So why don't we wish she gets well instead of debating as to whether or not she's really sick,just because you want someone else to win the Nationals. I wouldn't wish a illness on any of the skaters whether i like their skating or not or accuse them of faking for that matter.;)

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Wow, this thread is really nice.:laugh: Calling other posters "i.....t" which, I assume, meant "idiot" just because they doubt that Sasha has the flu? I mean, come on. So they doubt it? So what? That's their opinion. I mean, if you really look at the past couple of years when Sasha has NOT skated well, she's truly had an excuse for it.

However, with that said, looking at some of the pictures of her from practice, her face is a little stuffy looking like she has a horrible head cold. That's not the flu, but head colds, if they are really bad, can put you on your back, give you similar symptoms to the flu without the vomiting and stuff, and screw up your balance completely. So I hope she is better, but head colds linger longer than some flu viruses.

Me? I am not a medical professional and wouldn't tell anyone I was even if I was because you just get reamed anyway. But as a mother, I have seen my fair share of flus, stomach viruses, head colds, sinus infections, one case of rheumatic fever and one brain injury. With that said, my sinus infections get so bad that a couple of times, doctors have misdiagnosed them as influenza.

So I wish Sasha to get better and skate well. I wish all of them to do their very best otherwise Nationals will be d*** dull.

millie

Medalist
On The Today how, this morining, the cameras were on Sasha while she was practicing, she seemed to be in top shape from what I saw. Now that's that.