Sasha recovering from the flu | Golden Skate

Sasha recovering from the flu

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I really doubt that she has the flu. I'm not saying she's lying about being sick, but the true flu is far less common than most people think, and it takes a lot longer to recover from than what the Cohen Camp is reporting. More likely it is just a bad cold.

bronxgirl

Medalist
As I've said before, all of these athletes (at least the seniors) should all have had flu vaccine (without some serious contraindication. Any coach who lets their athlete go out there in the crowds to risk getting the real flu at the wrong time is just being ridiculously callous about the health of the skater at a time when they need to be at their best. Or else some coaches may like the idea of an excuse (no fingers being pointed now!)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
OMG, I wonder what the USFSA will do if she has to withdraw and asks for a bye.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
She can recover from this in a few days...There is a flu going around right now that last a few days,you get a sore throat,fever,cough,phelgm.My husband had it over Christmas took him about 3 days and I caught it but it only lasted for me about a day or so because i eat so much fruit,i had enough Vitamin C to not get it as badly.My sister had it too. It's not a cold it's a flu bug.

Vash01

Medalist
This may be a way to get the pressure off Sasha, since she is so heavily favored to win this time. I am not saying she did not have the cold or the flu, but I doubt it is something serious. Sometimes hard work, stress, etc. can cause symptoms like those (throat related). I am sure she will recover in time for the nationals.

Vash

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t understand how the athletes don´t take better care of themselves as important competitions are approaching. A flue or even a bad cold will have bad affect on one´s condition.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
Well no matter how much you take care of yourself...you can't stop yourself from catching something.It's nearly impossible unless you stay in your own home and never go out again!:laugh:
About it not being serious...this flu bug is misery and is one that can easily become bronchitus or pnuemonia if you aren't careful.

cianni

On the Ice
interesting

It seems Sasha has been recovering from an illness before at a big comp. How many times is this now? Good excuse if she doesnt win. I wonder. A little exaggeration maybe.

millie

Medalist
Michelle has a groin injury and Sasha is sick with the flu. -Doctors don't lie. I had my first and last flu shot about four years ago, I came don't with the worst flu ever that year. The doctors told me that flu shot doesn't cover every strain of flu bugs. So, Sasha probably had a flu shot and she still got the flu. What's the big deal?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Wow. Very sorry to hear this about Sasha. I hope that she can still skate to her optimal level. This is her big moment to shine, with the biggest spotlight aimed only on her! Nobody wants to see a title won by a 'dark horse' because a competitor was ill.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
millie said:
Michelle has a groin injury and Sasha is sick with the flu. -Doctors don't lie. I had my first and last flu shot about four years ago, I came don't with the worst flu ever that year. The doctors told me that flu shot doesn't cover every strain of flu bugs. So, Sasha probably had a flu shot and she still got the flu. What's the big deal?

ITA (and it's rare for me to agree with millie on anything). Flu shots do not protect you 100% from getting a flu. Unless you live in a bubble, there's a million ways to get a bad cold even if you take extraordinary precautions. Flying on planes, changing temps, germs in public bathrooms, hotel elevators, or just about any public surface that get handled by many people, are all ripe places for bacteria.

bronxgirl

Medalist
all right people, infectious diseases lesson here. Influenza virus causes "the flu" Coronaviruses, rhinoviruses, and a whole host of others cause bad colds, or "flu like symptoms" though if you've ever had the flu, you'd realize the big difference between the flu and a bad cold.

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Quote: (Previously posted by bronxgirl)
"As I've said before, all of these athletes (at least the seniors) should all have had flu vaccine (without some serious contraindication..."

As a healthcare professional (pharmacist), we are constantly up on our heels as to what is the next type/strain of influenza likely to dominate a flu season, whether one or 2 of 4 strains: A, B, C, or W. The flu vaccine is formulated ahead of season based on estimated rate of endemicity (frequency) of a specific strain and looking at previous flu seasons.
The one-strain-only flu vaccine does not necessarily protect from the other 3 strains, although being vaccinated minimizes the risk of worsening symptoms or spreading of that specific flu strain in the vaccine.

jesslily

Final Flight
I do believe that Sasha has flu or cold. The pressure of competing at Nationals and Olympics, the intensive training hours, the traveling, and many other related side things can take whole lot out of the body. When the body is too tired, the immune system is very weak. It's easy to get sick.

S

SkateFan4Life

I just hope this isn't a stunt being pulled by Sasha's camp -- you know, if she skates poorly and doesn't win the title, she can use the excuse of battling the flu.
UGH.

I feel a fantasy coming on....

Michelle skates poorly on the 16th and doesn't get the bye for the Olympics.

Sasha finishes fifth at Nationals, thanks to the flu and competition nerves. She also doesn't receive a bye for the Olympics.

Alissa, Kimmie, and BeBe win the medals, in that order, and they are named for the Olympic team. This trio of teenagers completely blows the lid off the Olympic skating rink with dynamic perfomances and they sweep the medals!!

orchid

On the Ice
Today she is feeling better .....

http://netscape.compuserve.com/sports/story.jsp?floc=MM-pnews&sc=2080&idq=/ff/story/0001/20060111/1733223874.htm

What I find incredibly interesting is that 78 year old coach, John Nicks, attended baseball and football seminars to figure out how to train her :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Even more interesting is that every report about this morning's LP practice from posters around the net said that Sasha only attempted two different triple jumps, yet Nicks is saying she landed all her triple jumps in that same session. Hmm...the plot thickens ;).

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Lucy25 said:
Even more interesting is that every report about this morning's LP practice from posters around the net said that Sasha only attempted two different triple jumps, yet Nicks is saying she landed all her triple jumps in that same session. Hmm...the plot thickens ;).

Honest to god he is so obnoxious with the hype! I hate so see what he has to say when Sasha loses.

kyla2

Final Flight
Some of You....

Some of you people are pathetic. Get over yourselves. Quite a few of the comments on this thread are extremely shabby and say quite a bit about the poster and NOT Sasha. Instead of the vitriol , how about a "get well soon Sasha."