Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys...

Medalist

If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys...

If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys for some reason, would the lovely Ms. Cohen be a virtual lock for gold?

Down With It
    virtual lock? You've got to be kidding.

Forgot the Japanese ladies- Suguri, Ando, Arakawa? MK if she goes? Other potential "dark horses"? At least if Irina pulls out I'd say Cohen has a CHANCE at gold. But with her in, Irina is going to be real tough to beat.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by havanamesa1
    If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys for some reason, would the lovely Ms. Cohen be a virtual lock for gold?
    No.

Banned
    Actually Cohen might have a better shot at winning as underdog to Irina, than as favorite. She could not handle the pressure of leading Michelle after the short program at 2004 Nationals, or as being hyped as the favorite by some at the 2003 Nationals, she could not handle the pressure of being in a dream position to win gold at 2004 Worlds with Michelle only 4th after the short program and herself a dominant first, she could not handle the pressure of being considered a shoo-in to medal at the 2002 Worlds and 2003 Worlds and finished 4th. Maybe she is better off as an underdog, like she was at the 2000 and 2002 U.S Nationals, where she was expected to be fighting for a spot on the team and came a strong second with closer-to-clean performances than in years more was expected of her.

Custom Title
    No, I think this medal is up for grabs

Banned
    There is about a 1% chance of Irina not showing up at all at the Olympics. There is about a 20% chance of a replase of her illness affecting her enough to make her vurnerable though, a thread about that would make more sense, since it a more feasable possability of opening up the event than her actually skipping it.

Medalist
    No, 'that pesky two-time Oly medalist Kwan' might just pose as another hurdle to overcome, making Sasha re-live those five US Nats champonship moments when she couldn't bring it on with Kwan around!

Custom Title
    Depends on how well Sasha's system reacts to major shocks.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Heeeeeeeyyyyyy......all of you!!!! You forgot Carolina Kostner! She is the best after Ira!

Custom Title

Irina

My Golden hope is that Irena shows up and wins the gold.

I think She deserves to win.

shdotz

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by JanJam
    No, 'that pesky two-time Oly medalist Kwan' might just pose as another hurdle to overcome, making Sasha re-live those five US Nats champonship moments when she couldn't bring it on with Kwan around!

I think there's a good chance that Sasha may not end up on the podium in Turin.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    Heeeeeeeyyyyyy......all of you!!!! You forgot Carolina Kostner! She is the best after Ira!
    She hasn't been so far this year. I think the assorted Japanese ladies would pose a stronger threat.

Banned
    I think it is very possable both Cohen and Kwan will miss the podium in Turin. Two Japenese women could end up on the podium, or even though she has had a bad year, Kostner could come up with an inspired performance in front of the home crowd, and the home crowd might pull some inflated scores from the judges.

I have a special feeling about Fumie this year. (Under the CoP, special feelings = 6.9 points, LOL.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I have a special feeling about Fumie this year. (Under the CoP, special feelings = 6.9 points, LOL.)
    Yeah if she skates like she did at Japanese Nationals and both Slutskaya and Cohen are a bit sluggish(and both are questionable right now, health, pysche)there could be a huge huge upset in store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast