If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys... | Golden Skate

If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys...

havanamesa1

Rinkside
If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys for some reason, would the lovely Ms. Cohen be a virtual lock for gold?

R.D.

Record Breaker
virtual lock? You've got to be kidding.

Forgot the Japanese ladies- Suguri, Ando, Arakawa? MK if she goes? Other potential "dark horses"? At least if Irina pulls out I'd say Cohen has a CHANCE at gold. But with her in, Irina is going to be real tough to beat.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Actually Cohen might have a better shot at winning as underdog to Irina, than as favorite. She could not handle the pressure of leading Michelle after the short program at 2004 Nationals, or as being hyped as the favorite by some at the 2003 Nationals, she could not handle the pressure of being in a dream position to win gold at 2004 Worlds with Michelle only 4th after the short program and herself a dominant first, she could not handle the pressure of being considered a shoo-in to medal at the 2002 Worlds and 2003 Worlds and finished 4th. Maybe she is better off as an underdog, like she was at the 2000 and 2002 U.S Nationals, where she was expected to be fighting for a spot on the team and came a strong second with closer-to-clean performances than in years more was expected of her. :laugh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
There is about a 1% chance of Irina not showing up at all at the Olympics. There is about a 20% chance of a replase of her illness affecting her enough to make her vurnerable though, a thread about that would make more sense, since it a more feasable possability of opening up the event than her actually skipping it.

JanJam

Rinkside
havanamesa1 said:
If Irina were to NOT show up at the Olys for some reason, would the lovely Ms. Cohen be a virtual lock for gold?

No, 'that pesky two-time Oly medalist Kwan' might just pose as another hurdle to overcome, making Sasha re-live those five US Nats champonship moments when she couldn't bring it on with Kwan around! :biggrin:

shdotz

On the Ice
Irina

havanamesa1 said:

My Golden hope is that Irena shows up and wins the gold.

I think She deserves to win.

shdotz

new_europe2006

Rinkside
JanJam said:
No, 'that pesky two-time Oly medalist Kwan' might just pose as another hurdle to overcome, making Sasha re-live those five US Nats champonship moments when she couldn't bring it on with Kwan around! :biggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think there's a good chance that Sasha may not end up on the podium in Turin.

Kasey

Medalist
anything_for_skating said:
Heeeeeeeyyyyyy......all of you!!!! You forgot Carolina Kostner! She is the best after Ira!:rock:

She hasn't been so far this year. I think the assorted Japanese ladies would pose a stronger threat.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think it is very possable both Cohen and Kwan will miss the podium in Turin. Two Japenese women could end up on the podium, or even though she has had a bad year, Kostner could come up with an inspired performance in front of the home crowd, and the home crowd might pull some inflated scores from the judges.

I have a special feeling about Fumie this year. :love: (Under the CoP, special feelings = 6.9 points, LOL.)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
I have a special feeling about Fumie this year. :love: (Under the CoP, special feelings = 6.9 points, LOL.)

Yeah if she skates like she did at Japanese Nationals and both Slutskaya and Cohen are a bit sluggish(and both are questionable right now, health, pysche)there could be a huge huge upset in store. :rock:

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:
virtual lock? You've got to be kidding.

Forgot the Japanese ladies- Suguri, Ando, Arakawa? MK if she goes? Other potential "dark horses"? At least if Irina pulls out I'd say Cohen has a CHANCE at gold. But with her in, Irina is going to be real tough to beat.

ITA, RedDog. Sasha most definitely would NOT have a lock on the gold medal, should Irina not compete in Torino. All of the Japanese ladies must be considered as potential gold medalists, even if they might be considered as longshots for the gold. Sasha still hasn't proved that she can stay on her feet and skate a clean long program when it really, really counts. She has finished second to Michelle Kwan at numerous US Nationals, and she finished second at the last two Worlds. Certainly, winning silver is nothing to be ashamed of; however, it seems to show that Cohen cannot yet handle the pressure of skating to win a title. She might do a lot better if she goes to the Olympics as an underdog and not expected by the media, her fans, and the general public, as the gold medal favorite.

shdotz

On the Ice
Sasha

new_europe2006 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think there's a good chance that Sasha may not end up on the podium in Turin.

So true; all she has to do is fall once.

shdotz

S

SkateFan4Life

shdotz said:

So true; all she has to do is fall once.

shdotz

Absolutely. And if she falls once, especially in the short program, and everyone else skates a clean short, she may be out of the medals.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Right now my likely podium would be Slutskaya, Arakawa, and Cohen, possably in that order. A big mistake by Cohen could easily put her out though. Suguri, Kwan(if she goes and is somehow relatively fit and healthy), and Kostner(remember home crowd should spur her on, and maybe the judges on a bit too)
are all possable contenders. As a Canadian I would love to say Rochette could be a sleeper but I doubt it after seeing how fails to big in too big of scores from international judges even for fairly solid efforts.

S

SkateFan4Life

slutskayafan21 said:
Right now my likely podium would be Slutskaya, Arakawa, and Cohen, possably in that order. A big mistake by Cohen could easily put her out though. Suguri, Kwan(if she goes and is somehow relatively fit and healthy), and Kostner(remember home crowd should spur her on, and maybe the judges on a bit too)
are all possable contenders. As a Canadian I would love to say Rochette could be a sleeper but I doubt it after seeing how fails to big in too big of scores from international judges even for fairly solid efforts.

Rochette isn't consistent, unfortunately. I can't see her winning at medal at the Olympics. Sorry.

Your picks of Slutskaya, Arakawa, and Cohen could be correct. We will all soon see what happens!