Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye

Justafan

On the Ice
orchid said:
Oddlly enought, there will be no alternate for the ladies event, which will be sent to Turin, with the selected team. The alternate will remain in the states and be summoned if needed.

How does that work? If someone is injured, a phone call puts a skater on an 6+ hour flight and she is expected to be in top form on arrival?

Did everyone hear the official make the statement, pharaphrasing here, "we want medals'.(Referring to the selection committee) After the short program last night, can anyone see medals in all that?

BTW, did anyone else notice that Peggy & Dick were NOT gushing themsleves over Sasha?

O
I think not having the alternate IN Turin is so stupid. Can you imagine having to skate right after stepping off an international flight?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree she absolutely should get the bye, and Csizny and Meisnner not crusing into the final two spots as predicted so far, should make it more obvious.
However the more I hear, the more surprisingly(to me)it seems the jury is split on this, and the bye is no certainty. It will be a tough call.

soogar

Record Breaker
IndieBoi said:
That's why we have alternates... :sheesh:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, she said she'd pull herself off the team if she's not 100% as *planned* and whoever's competitive enough to be the alternate can take the ice. :rolleye:

Well how fair is it to the alternate to call them in at the last minute if she wasn't fit at the test skate and they choose her in the hopes of her becoming fit at the Olympics? It is very hard mentally to train for something that you have no certainly in competing in. It's like studying for an exam that you have no clue that you can even take. How many peope can do this? The USFS has already had trouble with alternates (Bobek, Nikodinov when she was out of the country). Not everyone can put their life on hold and keep their mental toughness while waiting for Michelle to get herself together.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Bowers said:
He's being realistic! I don't think she's going to get a 3/3 in 3 weeks when she hasn't had it for years. In practice? maybe. In competition, no way! Three-loop, possibly, but don't wager on it. Neither will most wager on her even competing in Turin.

P. S. And you really shouldn't bash Tara! We know your reason! Think 1998!

Actually, Bowers, you don't know why I don't like Tara. I have no problem with her winning the OGM in 1998 because Kwan held back. I think it was a toss up either way and that's fine by me. Sorry to burst your little bubble, but I'm not one of those who goes around bemoaning Tara winning the OGM. I just never liked her skating at all. It just did absolutely nothing for me.

You don't know that she hasn't had a 3/3 in years. None of us knows anything. But she does have a 3/2/2. She has been injured trying new variations of spins. I just don't see the problem. And I don't think it's being "realistic" (since you like to use my user name as some kind of sarcastic retort) to make assumptions when no one has seen her skate this season outside of Marshalls. Goodness, you'd think people had been watching her screw up all season long. Oh well, c'est la vie!:laugh:

cianni

On the Ice
Right On

Thats about it nobody knows what Michelle is doing or has been doing. I never saw so many crystal ball readers or watchers in my life. How many can see Michelle and how well she is doing. Good Grief all I read is she cant do 3/3s and what a fool she would be to do so. The other skaters are no longer doing them either ,quite risky, she cant jump any longer, her spins are slow thats for sure,her program will be the same and on and on and on. Can the crystal ball readers please report what you saw and what she is is doing. NO ONE knows what Michelle is doing , what her programs look like , or how she will skate. Its getting old at this point. My crystal isnt talking and I dont know. I wasnt impressed at what I saw Thurs. these are little girls with no real experience so give them time.

TNT2012

Rinkside
soogar said:
Well how fair is it to the alternate to call them in at the last minute if she wasn't fit at the test skate and they choose her in the hopes of her becoming fit at the Olympics? It is very hard mentally to train for something that you have no certainly in competing in. It's like studying for an exam that you have no clue that you can even take. How many peope can do this? The USFS has already had trouble with alternates (Bobek, Nikodinov when she was out of the country). Not everyone can put their life on hold and keep their mental toughness while waiting for Michelle to get herself together.

Don't be hypocritical. Michelle was in that same exact position in 1994 for Lillehammer. Up until the very last minute, she still continued training for that "just in case" scenario. That's what an alternate does - to be as prepared as one can just in case he/she has to fill in for another team member.

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
cianni said:
Its about medals and Kwan at her worse is better then what I saw in the SP even better then Sasha. Sasha will win though by DEFAULT. Look at Sashas programs and see same old same old . OK Sasha we know you can stick your leg in the air but how many times are you going to do it. Same program different music same as Irina. The sport is stiffled at this point because the creativity is GONE. Leg in air ,over head and anywhere else is supposed to be artistry and creativity. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Are you blind?? You just won't accept the fact that Sasha can skate right up there with the best of them. She does not just do the same thing every year. There are new moves in that short that I saw Thursday night, now I don't know what the heck you were watching but it sure wasn't Sasha if you say she does the same thing year after year. If you have a problem with legs in the air then what would you like to see them do? And I guess you don't like to see Michelle skate either because she sure has her legs in the air a lot. How can you say that Sasha moves are not creative? She has more creative moves than any other skater now. Think about it before you get your fingers in gear.. They all do what the judges want to see. And if legs in the air gets them the points they need to win that is what they will do. That is called smart skating. They are there for the points not to please just you!!!! Years ago Nicole had the most gorgeous spirial in all of skating then the next thing you know Michelle has her leg almost as high as Nicole's (she worked on it to get it there) smart? Yes! Now when Sasha comes up with something new they all will try it, they have to to keep competitive. And you should really be ashamed of your self for saying Sasha will win only by default. You have no way of knowing how Nationals will turn out with or with out Michelle unless you are trying to say that Michelle would win because the judges would make sure of that and that is a real slap in the face to Michelle!!!!! I just can't for the life of me see why people can't just enjoy skating and not keep saying nasty things about a skater just because they don't happen to be their favorite :sheesh: They all work their butts off and they all should get the same respect from the fans...

millie

Medalist
cutiepatutie said:
Are you blind?? You just won't accept the fact that Sasha can skate right up there with the best of them. She does not just do the same thing every year. There are new moves in that short that I saw Thursday night, now I don't know what the heck you were watching but it sure wasn't Sasha if you say she does the same thing year after year. If you have a problem with legs in the air then what would you like to see them do? And I guess you don't like to see Michelle skate either because she sure has her legs in the air a lot. How can you say that Sasha moves are not creative? She has more creative moves than any other skater now. Think about it before you get your fingers in gear.. They all do what the judges want to see. And if legs in the air gets them the points they need to win that is what they will do. That is called smart skating. They are there for the points not to please just you!!!! Years ago Nicole had the most gorgeous spirial in all of skating then the next thing you know Michelle has her leg almost as high as Nicole's (she worked on it to get it there) smart? Yes! Now when Sasha comes up with something new they all will try it, they have to to keep competitive. And you should really be ashamed of your self for saying Sasha will win only by default. You have no way of knowing how Nationals will turn out with or with out Michelle unless you are trying to say that Michelle would win because the judges would make sure of that and that is a real slap in the face to Michelle!!!!! I just can't for the life of me see why people can't just enjoy skating and not keep saying nasty things about a skater just because they don't happen to be their favorite :sheesh: They all work their butts off and they all should get the same respect from the fans...

:clap: :clap: :clap: Way to go.

cianni

On the Ice
Ok

cutiepatuie and millie, Do you feel better now? I hope so cause its seems there was a need to get it off your chest. Im glad you can move on now and feel better at the same time. I really dont know how Nats will turn out might even be in for a surprise and I sure dont know about Olys either cause I dont know what Kwan is doing.Fact is no one does. I still stick to what I said this is what Im seeing. Enough said.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
cutiepatutie said:

Actually I don't think Sasha OR Michelle have been "creative", so to speak. They've just brought back moves that were done before and cast aside. How creative is that? Personally, I'm with Dick Button about the catch foot stuff. And I know it's to garner points, but it sure lacks creativity to see how many different ways you can catch your blade and hold it off to the side, over your head, around your neck, up your...well, never mind.

I guess I must have been watching a different SP than you because I didn't see any new moves from Sasha. I saw the same moves, but I see the same moves on all the skaters these days. I don't think there's any creativity out there because of the desire to garner all the points. And listening to some of the remarks they have said by choreographers, it seems creativity has been chacked for points. Oh well, such is the way to push the envelope. Might as well give everyone the music and have them all skate to it.

And as far as the spirals go, yep, Kwan got her leg up while keep her back higher as well. Sasha's spiral, while very nice, has her chest almost to the ice in order to keep her leg almost completely vertical. I won't argue spirals. I have those I prefer and those I don't. Matter of taste to me.

And I don't think Sasha is going to win by default. I think she'll win because, basically, I don't think she has too much competition unless Bebe or Alissa or Kimmie pull it together. And I don't know if she would win if Kwan was there or not because, quite frankly, Kawn's not there so who would ever know? I just want all the ladies to skate well, do their best and be proud of what they've achieved. Personally I think Stephanie Rosenthal should win just for having the b**** to bring hip hop out on the ice.:clap:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Could someone please list these unique "Sasha Moves" that are so original? The only new move I've seen from her is the "Falling Juliette" at Marshall's. IIRC Sale & Peltierre and Bourne & Kraatz both did that one at SLC.

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
realistic51 said:
Actually I don't think Sasha OR Michelle have been "creative", so to speak. They've just brought back moves that were done before and cast aside. How creative is that? Personally, I'm with Dick Button about the catch foot stuff. And I know it's to garner points, but it sure lacks creativity to see how many different ways you can catch your blade and hold it off to the side, over your head, around your neck, up your...well, never mind.

I guess I must have been watching a different SP than you because I didn't see any new moves from Sasha. I saw the same moves, but I see the same moves on all the skaters these days. I don't think there's any creativity out there because of the desire to garner all the points. And listening to some of the remarks they have said by choreographers, it seems creativity has been chacked for points. Oh well, such is the way to push the envelope. Might as well give everyone the music and have them all skate to it.

And as far as the spirals go, yep, Kwan got her leg up while keep her back higher as well. Sasha's spiral, while very nice, has her chest almost to the ice in order to keep her leg almost completely vertical. I won't argue spirals. I have those I prefer and those I don't. Matter of taste to me.

And I don't think Sasha is going to win by default. I think she'll win because, basically, I don't think she has too much competition unless Bebe or Alissa or Kimmie pull it together. And I don't know if she would win if Kwan was there or not because, quite frankly, Kawn's not there so who would ever know? I just want all the ladies to skate well, do their best and be proud of what they've achieved. Personally I think Stephanie Rosenthal should win just for having the b**** to bring hip hop out on the ice.:clap:
OK Whatever!!! You don't think Sasha will win by default UNLESS (and that is the key here) Bebe, Alissa or Kimmie pull it together, well that is a nobrainer if I ever heard one!!!!!

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
TNT2012 said:
Don't be hypocritical. Michelle was in that same exact position in 1994 for Lillehammer. Up until the very last minute, she still continued training for that "just in case" scenario. That's what an alternate does - to be as prepared as one can just in case he/she has to fill in for another team member.

Well Michelle had no chance at a medal in 1994 so it doesn't matter how she trained, she wasn't even going to crack the top 10. Her 8th at worlds was when 5 skaters withdrew after the Olympics.

As for the hating on Sasha's SP, don't forget that her flawed SP at worlds was scored very high (as was Irina's). Sasha's SP at Nats was pretty good. It's stupid for her to lay her best performances here at Nats anyway. Michelle had done that in the past two Olympic cycles and it's not as if it did anything for her at the Olympics.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't see how Cohen has been so "creative" over the last few years. If someone can counter this statement with proof to the contrary, bring it on.

And re. Cohen and Kwan- neither have been too impressive IMO in terms of skating for the past couple of years.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'm still waiting for a lit of Sasha's original moves that no one else does.

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
I'm still waiting for a lit of Sasha's original moves that no one else does.

Sasha Slide-a full turn extension (caught leg)

Sasha Skid -extreme y-position changed from back edge to forward edge

Sasha Curl

Sasha Spiral-usually called the fan spiral-most lady skaters do it-about 2 secs- sasha does it with an exquisite line and perfect balance and holds the position for a longer period of time.

Name some of Michelle's origional moves.

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I'm sorry, I'm with Dick Button. Enough with the ankles yanked over their heads. I hope someone was listening when he said there should be a rule limiting how many times you can do that. Yes, some people are that flexible, and yes, there are exercises (or training aparati) that can force your leg into a 180 degree split, but enough is enough. Yes, Sasha, you can twist yourself in a pretzel and stick your heel behind your ear. Now do something new. Frankly the only really original thing I saw was Stephanie (?)'s techno short program. I loved it. Someone who did positions that weren't aping classicalrussian ballet. And who had FUN.

After the way everyone but Sasha (for a change) crashed and burned in the long, I say send Michelle. There is no one in the 'up and comers' who gave a performance that leapt up and screamed "I'm here!" (Emily Hughes's short, maybe, ditto Bebe's, but they both fell apart in the long when they suddenly had a chance at it.) At worst, Michelle doesn't medal. But none of the other girls will, either. Sasha and Michelle are still the best shot the US has.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
cutiepatutie said:
OK Whatever!!! You don't think Sasha will win by default UNLESS (and that is the key here) Bebe, Alissa or Kimmie pull it together, well that is a nobrainer if I ever heard one!!!!!

Uh, excuse me, cutie, what YOU just said was a nobrainer if I ever read one. See, I said I didn't think Sasha would win by default meaning that there are people who thinks she will win by default because KWAN isn't there. It would be up to Bebe, Alissa and/or Kimmie to pull it together to win. There's no default there. Geez, give a whole different meaning to my post, why don't you? There are tons of posters across the figure skating boards who DO believe that Cohen will win by default because KWAN is absent from Nationals, not because all the others can't skate competitively with Cohen.

And all the "creative" moves that Cohen has done have been done before she showed up on the scene. It's just that everyone has attached "Sasha" to them as if she invented them. Same thing goes for Kwan who brought the Charlotte back from the closet. I mean, "creative" is Rosenthal. Now she's creative!:clap:

ETA: And juliet, I agree. From Dick Button's lips to the ISU's ears. Enough with the grabbing the skate crud. It's all throughout figure skating for points these days. And I think Dick was right on. All the ladies do the the same spiral sequences. Oh well, it's the latest figure skating advancement. Push the envelope but grab your skate before you do.