I was wondering... | Golden Skate

I was wondering...

baseballnut

Rinkside
I was wondering if anyone else thought that if Michelle Kwan gets a bye to the Olympics it would be unfair to the third place finsher at Nationals?

cianni

On the Ice
No

Do you think if Sasha is 4th she should get a bye and the 3rd skater be left off the team. This has been asked a million times can we give it a rest. Michelle and Sasha are our best and as Slute is on the team and wasnt at her Nationals shes their best so she goes. Its not always about fairness as that is a 2 sided coin.

baseballnut

Rinkside
I would feel the same way if Sasha was in the same postion as Michelle Kwan or if sasha finshed 4 or lower at nationals.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I don't like this whole "bye" business. Let the skaters compete and see where they place and let the top 3 go to the Olympics no matter who they are. That's what the competition is all about.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
dlkksk8fan said:
I don't like this whole "bye" business. Let the skaters compete and see where they place and let the top 3 go to the Olympics no matter who they are. That's what the competition is all about.

You have part of it right. If, in fact, the issue is competition, then the USFSA should eliminate all injury byes. However, since the USFSA does allow such byes, then I don't think it fair to deny one to Michelle based on what the rules "ought to be". Michelle should (or should not) get the bye, based on the rules that she -- and all competitors -- are currently working under -- and this includes the rules that guarantees a spot on the Oly team only to the Nat champ, and, allows for injury waivers.

baseballnut said:
I was wondering if anyone else thought that if Michelle Kwan gets a bye to the Olympics it would be unfair to the third place finsher at Nationals?
If this question is sincere, and you really want to know what people on this board think about this topic, you could check out the 11 page thread "Michelle's Proof of Recovery Skate," -- or any of the recent threads "Michelle's petition has been filed," "Circumstances of bye or not bye," "Will Cohen and Kwan get byes if...," "Interesting article about Michelle," etc.

Mathman ;)

CDMM1991

Medalist
Mathman said:
If this question is sincere, and you really want to know what people on this board think about this topic, you could check out the 11 page thread "Michelle's Proof of Recovery Skate," -- or any of the recent threads "Michelle's petition has been filed," "Circumstances of bye or not bye," "Will Cohen and Kwan get byes if...," "Interesting article about Michelle," etc.

Mathman ;)

Thanks MM. I wanted to mention this, but wasn't sure if it was my place.

mzheng

Record Breaker
baseballnut said:

I was wondering are you the twin of the poster Sarahfan ask the same question at MKF?

http://www.mkforum.net/showthread.php?t=8874

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that if Michelle kwan gets a bye to the Olympics it would be unfair to the third place finsher at Nationals

cianni

On the Ice
Laughing

Someone at FSU posted. Got to love it Michelle is getting all the attention and shes not even there. Well said. I found myself laughing cause this is so true. Got to love the Girl she is Figure Skating.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Someone at FSU posted. Got to love it Michelle is getting all the attention and shes not even there. Well said. I found myself laughing cause this is so true. Got to love the Girl she is Figure Skating.

:laugh: I was just saying the same thing to a friend who isn't into skating and she's all... Where's Kwan? Why isn't she skating? Who's Sasha Cohen? Isn't she the cute Russian girl with the chubby cheeks?

As a Kwan fan, you gotta love it but for fans of other skaters, I'm starting to understand their pain...

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Only as unfair as it was to keep Michelle off the 94 Olympic team. She finished 2nd -- and Nancy and Tonya both went. Nancy got the bye - Tonya should not have gone as later on her US National title was stripped, but it was too late for MK.
USFSA owes her one in my book.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
NO. well, that is a conditional no, depending on how she skates in her trial. but she shouldn't be able to go because she is "Michelle Kwan" the skater with the impeccable history, etc. etc. As far as the whole incident in '94, the past is the past, no one should be "owing" anyone anything. The fact of the matter is, the only Michelle we have seen this past season seems to be a far cry from the Michelle of the past. The whole new system of judging also seems to have "de-Kwanified" skating. She just doesn't seem to measure up as well under the new system.

Personally, I rather see Sasha get a bye if she flukes in her skating at Nationals, because at least she went out there and skated. To me, it really just seems like Michelle knows that her best chance of getting to the Olympics is by a bye and not by earning her spot in Nationals, and she is taking the easy way out. I just can't seem to get around that gut feeling.

cianni

On the Ice
Not another one

Good Grief another one. Michelle is faking injury so she didnt have to compete this season. I didnt realize Michelle couldnt beat any of the skaters. Thanks for telling me that. What a dunce I must be. We were all fooled.

Jasper

Final Flight
Whoever gets bumped from the Olympics because of Kwan should get to go to Worlds, at least. Kwan doesn't deserve both Olympics and Worlds.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
cianni said:
Good Grief another one. Michelle is faking injury so she didnt have to compete this season. I didnt realize Michelle couldnt beat any of the skaters. Thanks for telling me that. What a dunce I must be. We were all fooled.

I don't think she is completely faking injury, but I bet it is exaggerated. She landed, what, one triple at Marshall's? She finished off the podium at last year's Worlds. She is not the Michelle that she once was. Michelle is grace on ice, and I am a fan of hers, but the new system isn't one that really works to her advantage (in my opinion). All I am saying is, what is the safer bet to get to the Olympics... skate (slightly injured, more or less) in nationals and possibly finish off the podium or get a bye? I am sure this is something she considered.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it would be fair to send Kwan to the Olympics only in that case that she skates in the testskate better than the bronze medallist at US Nationals. Especially as Kwan is a skater who outside the Nationals and Worlds has not participated in ISU events during some years, and because of that has very little experience from CoP.

Last edited: