U.S. Natls - Sr Men SPs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Natls - Sr Men SPs

kareliz

Rinkside
It was a pure delight to see Johnny do what only he can do. The flow, the attention to detail and just beautiful skating. And the jumps weren't bad either. The way he lands and holds his edge is just breathtaking.

I think Matt is also a wonderful skater, and I agree, underrated. I think he's really been hurt by the years he was sent to worlds and did poorly, and lots of injuries, and the judges don't always give him his due. Remember how he blew Mike and Johhny away at the Marshall comps! And all the "judges" agreed about that, although the public didn't get it. He is all about transitions, edges and flow. It is too bad he fell, but look at the attack and speed of rotation in that jump. He has had a tendency to be slightly lethargic in the past, so I loved seeing him attack.

Mike did so well, but I can't help feeling that it was lucky. His jumps have been so off for so long.

Evan is terrific, too. He needs to become more subtle and sophisticated with his movment and musicality, and that will be nice to see. Any three of these guys will make a terrific Olympic team., but I'm going for Johhny, Matt and Evan.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I absolutely loved Rohene Ward. Love him! Fresh and new (to me that is). I certainly hope we get to see his LP, but the way things work, that's highly unlikely.

Matt Savoie just doesn't get credit for his beautiful skating.

I still do not like Michael Weiss' skating, but I will say I was impressed with his SP last night. Must be the first time since I've seen him skate that I was impressed with any of his programs.

Johnny is back! Woohoo! Love to watch this guy.

And Ryan Bradley-why do they always keep the hunks hidden? Hmmmmm, eye candy!:rofl:

eliza88

On the Ice
Johnny...exquisite, stunning, superb...I think I have already rewatched this program 6 times!

I love to watch Matt, bummer about the fall...ITA about the judges never giving him godd marks.

Was that Michael Weiss? The best I have seen him do...he is hardly my favorite but I found myself applauding everything he did!

Rohene...oh please be more consistant with your jumps so we can enjoy you more! So much talent, loved the way he moved, great choreography!

Too bad Evan fell, looking forward to seeing his LP. Hope he skates well enough to make the team.

eliza88

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love:
eliza88 said:
Rohene...oh please be more consistant with your jumps so we can enjoy you more! So much talent, loved the way he moved, great choreography!
eliza88
I loved watching the practice session with Rohene in his white tank shirt. :love: :love:

Eliza88, I agree about Rohene getting more consistent with his jumps and then we can enjoy him more. :love: :love: I am just hoping they show his LP. Last night they said he choreographed his program.

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Big Whoop for Michael Weiss...........Hey Toni and RGal..........Mikey's in 2nd place!!!!:agree: 42

kyla2

Final Flight
Men

Johnnie Weir was magnificent-a program for the ages. I also loved Matt Savoie, one of the finest skaters in the world to me. He is elegant and his music is beautiful. I was heartbroken for him when he fell on that axel. i really hope he makes it to the Olympics, he deserves a spot.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Matt could benefit from a stylist....he always looks al ittle touseled, like he just rolled out of bed. Mike Weiss needs to control his hair a bit it looked like it was channeling Maria Petrova.

Jill

On the Ice
Rohene is such a YUM! He looks like my old flame Edward G:rock: and that's a compliment! I hope they show his free skate, too:love: !!!!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My 2 favorite performances of the evening were Johnny's & Ryan Bradley's. I love Bradley's exuberance. He always puts a smile on my face watching him. Weir was magnificent. He is breath taking to watch. I was disappointed in not seeing Scott Smith's performance. He's more consistent than Ward & just as pleasant to watch.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm not a Johnny fan, but last nights sp really won me over. It was so fluid and effortless, wonderful to watch.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Mike Weiss, hope he has a good long program.

icedancer2

Rinkside
Piel said:
Matt could benefit from a stylist....he always looks al ittle touseled, like he just rolled out of bed. .

Yeah.....;)

Put me in the "Matt Wuzrobbed" camp -- his PCS scores lower than EVAN?

Puh-leeze!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
icedancer2 said:
Yeah.....;)

Put me in the "Matt Wuzrobbed" camp -- his PCS scores lower than EVAN?

Puh-leeze!

Seeing them live changed my mind about this. (that doesn't mean anyone or everyone would agree). Personally, I know think Evan has better flow and speed and basics over the ice than Matt. That doesn't make Matt's bad, but Evan is way more impressive to me live than he ever was on TV. Just 2 cents...

DG

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, and though it didn't show up as clearly on TV, Matt was tight and rather slow...so this was not his best performance by a long shot. Also, now that I've downloaded the clips, Tim's footwork which was great, looked much better live than on TV. They shot the sequence following Tim's body, which lost the fact that there was a great deal of lateral, high and low movement in this sequence (all good). Plus he was way faster across the ice than in previous years, which is always hard to see on TV.

I would have had Tim ahead of Matt, but they are really COP tied at this point.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just went and watched Rohene's program a couple of times. His moves are so big which makes him look better. It's kind of what Dick talks about. I am hoping financially he is able to compete and have a good eligible career. It would be a shame if that's what would prevent him from skating. Joe said a couple of years ago to keep an eye out for him. Good call Joe.

When a skater is financially strapped, does the USFSA help in any way????

Dee

Justafan

On the Ice
I love to watch Johnny skate..if I have any criticism at all, it would be that I would like to someday see him skate a program with a little fire in it..obviously that wouldnt fit well with his current music, but I think that's what always puts Plushy over the top. Plus I think Johnny has it in him!

I think if Evan can ever do something different with his arms, it would help..they always seem to be flailing around to me. I wish guys weren't afraid to be elegant sometimes.

I was impressed with Michael Weiss, but sometimes it seems like he pauses for a nanosecond, for the audience reaction and I think it takes away from the flow of the program. I remember when he was still basically a kid starting out and have always wished him well. I would love to see him finish up his amateur years on a high note, and I think he will be perfect for the pros.

I think Matt Savoie has great style..he reminds me of someone but can't think of whom.

Poor Tim :( My heart goes out to him, but I think he did great with his footwork and his dance style. I wonder if all those quads have just damaged him though?

Rohene: Wow..those splits! I think he has a great romantic look, and look forward to seeing him in future competitons. I think he could use a little more help with connecting his elements in the choreography, but what a dynamic skater.

Justafan

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
I just went and watched Rohene's program a couple of times. His moves are so big which makes him look better. It's kind of what Dick talks about. I am hoping financially he is able to compete and have a good eligible career. It would be a shame if that's what would prevent him from skating. Joe said a couple of years ago to keep an eye out for him. Good call Joe.

When a skater is financially strapped, does the USFSA help in any way????

Dee

I don't know but maybe we could take up a collection :)...it would be a shame to see him not be able to keep going.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The scores were a joke, joke, joke, joke!!!! :rofl: Hope all these men are prepared to score atleast 6 points lower for the exact same skates in Turin.