U.S. Nationals - Ladies Short Program - LIVE!!!!!!! with PBP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Ladies Short Program - LIVE!!!!!!! with PBP

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
rjulie510 said:
Can anyone explain why Emily was placed ahead of Bebe? Bebe was totally clean while Emily had a problem in her combination jump. And it's not like Emily's spins and footwork are better than Bebe's.

Good question........I'm not up on the CoP......anyone have an idea? 42

mzheng

Record Breaker
I would've put bebe over Emily too. Bebe was on fire. I'll wait to see in what critirias that Emily beat Bebe.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
BeBe was incredible! I'm so happy for her, and I hope she holds it together in the long. I'd love to see her go to Italy.
My heart broke for Amber. Falling apart after landing the 3/3!
Emily looked great - I'm starting to like this kid.
I liked Rosenthal! Different is nice. And what energy!
I still can't get into Kimmie. Sorry.
And now, a rant. What does Sasha have to do to make Dick and Peggy happy? They dissected her program with way too much relish for my taste. She skated cleaner than we've seen in a while. She looked great and it was a fine performance. I love the new costume. I didn't even notice the slight errors that were pointed out, but you'd have thought she'd fallen from the commentary. And the harping on Michelle's absence has already become obnoxious, and we still have the long programs to get through. I've always resisted taking sides in the endless Sasha/Michelle discussions, but some of the coverage tonight struck me as downright unfair. She's a two-time World Silver Medalist, for crying out loud! Show some respect.
Just one more little rant: why can't we get extended coverage of the men's event? Everyone knows it's the best. :yes:
A pair or two would have been nice, too...
xoxo
Rave

LBC

On the Ice
Emily and Bebe are only a point apart. Bebe really screwed up that last combo spin. I'd give her a negative on that one.

I want to know how Alissa got higher tech scores than Kimmie when she fell twice? I know that it is because she's got higher spin levels and fell on the 2 axel and the 3 flip and didn't mess up the combo like Kimmie. I swear she underotated that 3 flip she fell on. Need to watch that again. I was sure that Alissa was in the 40's for sure.

IDLERACER

Medalist
nicole_l said:
Stephanie Rosenthal looked like Star Wars Kid. :rofl:
I predict a long prosperous professional career for this person. She probably won't have much amateur success, however. Most judges simply do not take kindly to that sort of...of...well, whatever it was.

Lucy25

Final Flight
rjulie510 said:
Can anyone explain why Emily was placed ahead of Bebe? Bebe was totally clean while Emily had a problem in her combination jump. And it's not like Emily's spins and footwork are better than Bebe's.
Wish I knew. I thought Bebe should have been in second only a few points off from Sasha. Definitely deserves the "wuz robbed" chant.

Pretty poorly skated ladies SP all around. Only Bebe skated clean. Yes, Sasha stayed on her feet, but boy was she ever slow! I know she has been sick, but the fact remains that she was slow. And has she landed that 3flip clean once this season? Still, for what she has been through it wasn't a bad performance. I love the skirt on her new dress but really don't like the top. The flowers went nice with the skirt.

It was great seeing all those other skaters, but I will be interested in seeing the ratings for ESPN. I bet they won't do the SP's live again. I would guess that the average viewer kept turning the channel.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sasha wasn't at her strongest, but the quality of her moves was clearly the class of the field. Deservedly in first place, but only a moderate lead -- I think that's about right. Alissa has the artistry but is a terribly inconsistent jumper. Kimmie was pretty good but still has some developing to do. Emily was better and Bebe absolutely tore it up. Her performance was my overall favorite.

Based on these performances, I think Michelle Kwan should get a bye if she is healthy.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Man, that audience shot of Angela Nikodinov had to be the saddest moment in the history of skating on television. :frown: She looked so forlorn. Why wasn't somebody there to hug her?

K-Mo

On the Ice
I Tivo-ed this, and I am irritated because it ran over and the Tivo shut off. It ran over the time because they showed EVERYTHING (and Sasha twice!) Luckily, I got home in time to see Bebe's incredible skate. Unfortunately, I can't go back and re-watch becuase she skated later in the broadcast.

Lucy25

Final Flight
IDLERACER said:
Man, that audience shot of Angela Nikodinov had to be the saddest moment in the history of skating on television. :frown: She looked so forlorn. Why wasn't somebody there to hug her?
I agree! It was heartbreaking. She may not have been thinking anything at the time the camera caught her, but she can not be having good feelings about being there a year after her mother's death. :(

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Sasha was wonderful.........and she is just so beautiful. I think Bebe should have placed 2nd. Right now I just don't like Emily's skating. She is so choppy....I know it is not a skating term but that's how I see it.

Dee

Eeyora said:
I found Stephanie entertaining but I couldn't help think of Napoleon Dynamite
A poster after my own heart! Or maybe not...I thought Napoleon Dynamite rocked, lol.

Seriously, though. Whatever you think of Stephanie's music, choreography, and/or skating, she looked as if she was having a genuine blast out there. And oh my heck! She's from Utah!

Though her interpretation of "Rockit" doesn't quite come up to Ilia Kulik's. But then, I'm biased. Still :bow: for Stephanie's energy and guts. This is one of the things I love about seeing USNs live. We'd never see any of these "outside the box" skaters if the competition was taped.

Rgirl

Last edited:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Even if Sasha wasn't at her strongest...she is so head and shoulders above the rest of the US womens field. She brings such a grace and elegance to the sport. I agree..I could see Bebe being in second and Emily third. I felt so bad for Alissa. She has such a strong showing earlier in the year.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree Sasha is on a totally different level than the other ladies. I would have placed Be Be above Emily myself. Although I found both extremely charming.

I too feel for Angela. She could have easially been in second.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
RGirl - ITA!

For the poster who couldn't quite figure out what kind of choreography Stephanie was doing, its called - hip hop. Don't mean to be sarcastic, but come on now, hip hop as a style, movement whatever is now over 20 years old and is a legitimate expression.

This girl can really dance! I thought there was really good and original content - she moved from the core and not just the pelvis. Now, the jumps....?

Just goes to show ya, girls from Utah can get funky. :biggrin:

Angela - that was so very sad to see and rather disturbing to hear that her hand injury is still a factor. That did not make me happy.

So Sasha - go Emily - go BeBe - Allisa, don't give up!

Tenorguy

Panther2000

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
I thought Sasha was wonderful.........and she is just so beautiful. I think Bebe should have placed 2nd. Right now I just don't like Emily's skating. She is so choppy....I know it is not a skating term but that's how I see it.

Dee

Sasha wasn't wonderful, good but not wonderufl. But agree about Bebe, but, she is so up & down with her skating the judges aren't giving her the benefit of the doubt. & I do think that Emily is getting a bit of a gift for family relations. But, I agree also that the hughes period are chopper skaters. they aren't smooth. It is herky Jerky & choppy. Rough is more like it. They aren't graceful & lack real rythm(sp) & dancing skills& it shows, in their skating.

But, Bebe should be in second.

Last edited:

Lanie

On the Ice
Stephanie - :rock:

I didn't see a two-foot from Sasha on the flip and I replayed it a bunch of times to check. It amused me Dick Button harped on the flip taking off from an inside edge...when it DOES...haha. Sasha was slow but she's been ill, so it's understandable. I was waiting for her to blow it, but she didn't, so I'm pleased! Even slow she's far and away the class of the field.

I felt so bad for Alissa. The pressure must have got to her, I guess? She had a deer in the headlights kinda look on her face. :(

IMO Bebe should have been placed above Emily. As it is they're, what, only one point between each other? I think Emily gets cut some slack for being Sarah's little sister--and for that I feel kind of bad for her, constantly in Sarah's shadow. I do think Emily is a better skater than Sarah, I like her more.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It's being rebroadcast on ESPN2 on the East coast now...just finished showing Mike Weiss.

ITA, Equestrianguy and with the others who noted that though Sasha was slow overall, her very presence on the ice outshone everybody else. I especially loved her first combo spin in which every position looked as if it were from the proverbial Grecian urn.

She was back to looking too thin, IMO, but I chalked that up to the flu. I thought she looked great at TEB, IIRC, when her muscle mass was up to snuff. I've also been concerned about the speed of her spins all season. Of the three times she competed on TV this season that I saw, her spin speed just wasn't there and that used to be one of her strongest assets. What happened there? As for any other tiny "mistakes," after four days of the flu and not even being on the ice--pfft!

I loved her costume, thought the shade of dusty blue and the costume in general was one of the best I've seen on her and one of the best I've seen in general this season.

As for Emily and Bebe, really, their scores were so close and, IMO, so was their skating. They just have different qualities and different strengths. I don't think we'll be able to discuss how they did "rationally" ;) (unless you don't have a preference) until we see the detailed judges' scores. Then we can say, "Emily got X for her spirals and Bebe got Y?! Emily/BeBe wuz robbed!" Seriously though, I think both Emily and BeBe have a lot of great things going for each of them and I hope they don't turn into the next "Love-Hate" rival couple on the boards.

But what I most agree with, sadly, is Idle's observation, which was exactly my own, that the camera on Angela Nikokinov is about the saddest thing I've ever seen in sports. Not only is there the death of her mother plus her own injuries in that terrible car crash on the way to last year's USNs, but I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with such a dark cloud over her head. I mean, first her mentor/coach, Elena Tcherkesskaya died, then Angela went to Frank and promptly suffered a shoulder injury (and those are a b**** to heal and rehab), and just as she was getting consistent, even more rain started coming down and it just hasn't stopped. The longer the camera was on Angela's face, which looked as if it had seen the worst of the world, the more I wanted to yell at the TV, "Just leave her alone!"

And while I loved seeing live coverage, ESPN definitely should have covered more men, pairs, and dance. If I saw one more bad Biellman I was going to Biell-hurl.

Still, the '06 US Nationals are underway and even though we've all heard it, it was sad that Michelle had to miss her first USN since '93, IIRC, in an Olympic year and due to two injuries.

Rgirl

P.S. Piel: Why did you say on page 1, "So Mark Mitchell is on the committee to decide if Michelle gets a bye...hmm"? Is there something significant about Mark being on the panel?

Last edited:

Lanie

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
But what I most agree with, sadly, is Idle's observation, which was exactly my own, that the camera on Angela Nikokinov is about the saddest thing I've ever seen in sports. Not only is there the death of her mother plus her own injuries in that terrible car crash on the way to last year's USNs, but I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with such a dark cloud over her head. I mean, first her mentor/coach, Elena Tcherkesskaya died, then Angela went to Frank and promptly suffered a shoulder injury (and those are a b**** to heal and rehab), and just as she was getting consistent, even more rain started coming down and it just hasn't stopped. The longer the camera was on Angela's face, which looked as if it had seen the worst of the world, the more I wanted to yell at the TV, "Just leave her alone!"

ITA. I felt like crying just seeing her face. I really, really miss her so much. Poor Angela. :(

Rgirl--I think one reason why Sasha's spins have been so slow is because she's mastering new positions, working on things she never has before (ie a Beillmann). I think that's the problem with a LOT of skaters, not just Sasha; now to get the maximum impact for points you've gotta do hard stuff that a lot of these folks haven't really ever done, like the changes of edge, the BTH spins (gag), etc. Oh how I miss Sasha's classic layback...