U.S. Nationals - Ladies Short Program - LIVE!!!!!!! with PBP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Ladies Short Program - LIVE!!!!!!! with PBP

mzheng

Record Breaker
Piel said:
The hmmm....was I wonder if his personal experience of being left off of the team because Todd was given a bye will influence his decision about Michelle?
He should be recused. Just like when you go to jury duty, if judge found out you had the similar experience with either side, you would be recused too.

flowjo35

On the Ice
show 42 said:
Mathman, considering how Alissa skated and where she was placed, Michelle could have ended up third with her "Marshall's" skate......;) 42

Show, I so agree with you.:)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mzheng, that's exactly what I thought too. Depending on how much of a splatfest Saturday night turns out to be, I don't think Michelle's chance of receiving a bye is as good as we might think.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Mzheng, that's exactly what I thought too. Depending on how much of a splatfest Saturday night turns out to be, I don't think Michelle's chance of receiving a bye is as good as we might think.
But USFS sure is preparing for the possibility, otherwise they won't get to trouble to rquest IOC approval extend the final athelets list from Jan 30th to Feb. 18th.....Yeah, all depends on Kwan's physical condition and how well those girls skates at Saturday.

But think back, had USFSA send 3 lady team to Olympics with two ladies has never had Senior worlds experience?

enlight78

Medalist
I wish skaters would skate to their strength. There is no point in doing a difficult skill very badly just to get a -3 GOE. The stratagy doesn't make sense to me. I don't think that Kwan will be given the bye eventhough she is very well loved by the fans.

Last edited:

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Bebe should've won the SP last night. She was just spectacular with choreography, better jump technique (not flutzing or 2-footing the 3flip out of footwork), faster spins, better skating skills, and better footwork.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
SunshineSlayer said:
Just for the record, I am pretty sure Sasha did not two foot the flip judging by the replays.

Even if she didn't two-foot her 3flip, Bebe still should've beaten her in the SP.

Lanie

On the Ice
Bebe didn't have the same level of difficulty in her spiral sequence or spins. So no, she shouldn't have beaten Sasha...but she should have beaten Emily! Oh well.

Show and Mathman, thanks for the links. At least they show they individual component scores.

As for the BeBe vs. Emily debate, Emily is only ahead of BeBe by .29 points. In other words, just under half a point. BeBe got a higher technical total than Emily and Emily got a higher total component score.

Given the way the COP system works, ie, scores thrown out, trimmed means used, etc, IMO, a .29 difference is essentially no difference after the short. If the difference between them were five or six points, I could understand all the hubbub. But basically half a point--it could all be due to which random scores were thrown out. However, BeBe did get slightly lower component scores across the board than Emily, which I think has to do with what DorisPulaski, who is at the event, saw in Emily's skating: power. But like I said, it's like arguing over a penny. What it will all come down to is how each one skates her LP.

As for Michelle, I think way too much is being made out of Mark Mitchell being on the panel. It's been 14 years for god's sake and Mark is both an intelligent guy and has been through a lot, including injury. Besides, I think Mzheng makes an excellent point about the US having never sent, as far as I know, two ladies in a three-person team who've never been to Worlds to the Olympics.

So I think Michelle's chances of getting a bye are excellent since the stated purpose of the bye panel is to choose a team that is most likely to win medals. Unless she's still really injured, that's something Michelle has proven she knows how to do, ie, win medals. Although Michelle's performances at '04 and '05 Worlds didn't result in medals, she came in a strong fourth. Michelle has a great coach and physical therapist, plus programs choreographed by one of the best in the biz, Tarasova.

Also, IMO, anybody in the top five after the short is close enough in terms of her TSS that she could win the whole thing, especially Alissa with a clean, energetic skate.

We could all go round and round with this, and probably will, lol, and maybe that's part of the fun, but I'm just hoping Michelle will be healthy enough so she can go to the Olympics and retire from her eligible career with two beautiful and memorable programs. Though there's always Worlds, people tend to forget Worlds in an Olympic year.

Rgirl

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
Although Michelle's performances at '04 and '05 Worlds didn't result in medals said:
Wasn't she the 3rd in '04? I think she's only off the podium in '05, right?

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
SunshineSlayer said:
Just for the record, I am pretty sure Sasha did not two foot the flip judging by the replays.

no matter how many times i watched that on repeat, i did not see the two footing on the triple flip.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
bethissoawesome said:
no matter how many times i watched that on repeat, i did not see the two footing on the triple flip.
It looked two-footed to me. Not terribly, but the free foot definitely touched down, albeit quickly.