Canadians - Senior Ladies Short Report | Golden Skate

Canadians - Senior Ladies Short Report

Rosaleen

Medalist
The marks were announced and only flashed on the board for a few seconds, so it was difficult to double check what I heard, so there are probably some mistakes.

The following notes are what I saw while the skater was on the ice and have not been checked against the protocol for mistakes.

The official results & detailed skater's protocols are posted on the Skate Canada website
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns06/results/c7.pdf

The overall result so far is here
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events...lts.cfm?strcat=Senior&strdisp=Women&strlang=E

top 18 make it to the free program

CAN Stephanie Cameron Start No: 1
Notes: music: Cinderella navy shading to light blue to white at hem (same dress as qualifying?) some arm movement to slow chords / 3s2t bit forward on sal but didn't put hand down / 2a / she's moving well / combo spin is well done - clean pos sit could be lower / ftwrk 2f / diag ftwrk flws with the music / death drop gets prety good air pos spin is ok / inside out forward spiral to side split to catch foot / layback is lovely sideways with arms to one side to strt layback / very good skate - about as good as she can skate it, except maybe for doubling the flip but I'm not sure that she really 'has' a triple flip / tot 37. gr total couldn't read screen - can only get what the announcer said /
CAN Jessie Cook Start No: 2
Notes: music: Romeo & juliet / light turqoise with black trim / layback - didn't really see it / 3z fell / strt steps fairly simple flowed with music / 2a might have been cheated / combo spin is fast with good pos variations / spirals carried speed ok pos / ftwrk 3s fell / nice butterfly back sit / speed & flow over the ice generally is quite good / tot 22.5 currently 2nd /
CAN Michelle Moore Start No: 3
Notes: Music: songs from victorious city purple with horiztonal cutouts / some chor at centre ice / 2s2t / 3t under rot fell / spirals coe in catch foot / deathdrop fly is ok spin needs to be lower / 2a very skiddy takeoff & very tight & wild on the landing - give her credit for landing it - I didn't think she'd be able to / layback to beillman / strt steps wrk with music / combo spin has nice broken leg sit pos / tot 22.5 currently 2nd /
CAN Courtney Sokal Start No: 4
Notes: music: Capriccio Espanol black lace effect over turqoise one sleeve / some chor to set it up / 3f both hands down but I'm sure fully rot / popped loop - didn't get off ice / layback with nice classic pos then foot to head - good speed / spirals were well done / 1a didn't get up on it / flycam with lovely inside edge layout pos / diag ftwrk is with the music / combo spin is very nice - good speed & defined positions / tot 32.3 currently 2nd /

CAN Hjordis Lee Start No: 5
Notes: music: canal street blues gorgeous (as always with her) navy velvet halter with pink band at empire waist / 3t hand down fall / 2a / death drop to back sit with variations very nicely done / spirals are nice / ftwrk into sal that didn't get off the ice / sideways layback to strt back - pretty spin / O ftwrk is musical & fairly complex / combo spin starts with loopy cam then very nice sit / tot 32.3 currently 3rd overall /
CAN Mylene Brodeur Start No: 6
Notes: music: send in the clowns pink bathing suit style / some chor that is very nicely done / ftwrk 3z / 3t fell under rot / flysit good fly nice tuck spin pos / 2a with a big smile on her face / combo spin nice fast low sit pos / strt ftwrk phrased with the music & lightly done - nice / layback with foot to head / spirals end with closing note / too bad about the 3t - she obviously can do it / tot 38.24 currently 1st overall /
CAN Shanique Olivierre-Lake Start No: 7
Notes: music: havanna turqoise with criss-cross back / chor to slow opening strans / 3f slid off edge fell - think rotated / nice 2a as trumpets start / death drop to nice sit spin with variations / spirals are ok - maybe a bit slow / layback from classic to side to foot to head - nice spin / ftwrk 3t / O ftwrk is fairly complex / combo spin is good / tot 35.02 currently 3rd overall /
CAN Ashton Tessier Start No: 8
Notes: music: adagio in C Minor by yanni / black semi sheer over turqoise - very pretty dress / some movement at centre ice / ftwrk pause 3z foot down very tight landing / 3l2t / layback with extended strt leg - pretty / music changes - had a bit of driving beat / 2a / flysit with no fly or tuck to speak of very nice spin though / spirals with coe in one hand catch foot / strt steps as music has reaaly picked up - match music well & flow / combo spin starts with very nice extended camel lthat lasts long enough to enoy it / tot 37.42 currently 1st overall /
CAN Christa Wilson Start No: 9
Notes: music: fur elise black & white / very pretty layback with gorgeous variations / 3z 2ft flip out - didn't do 2nd jump / strt ftwrk is very flowy & with music / 2a / 3f fell / death drop was nice - spin got very slow / spirals don't carry much speed - nice pos / combo spin to end / tot 26.9 currently 8th overall /
CAN Cecilia Gauvin Start No: 10
Notes: music: carmen red dress with lattice back / and we start with the familiar bells / 2a / 3s 2t think hand down on sal / some chor into sideways layback to classic to foot to head / 2l fell - didn't look good going up / flycam with multiple variations / diag ftwrk moved well - fairly simple / spirals are ok - don't have much speed / combo spin is ok / tot 34.88 currently 4th overall /

CAN Robyn Bouschard Start No: 11
Notes: music: new york, new york mint green / layback spin is quite good / 3s flipped out / 2a landed on toe pitched forward but did it / flycam with josee layover into catch foot / this isn't any new york new york that I've ever heard / O ftwrk - didn't really see it / 3t under rot fell / spirals were ok / combo spin had to hop a bit to keep the spin going / grand tot 41.61 currently 9th overall /

CAN Marie-Christine Grenier Start No: 12
Notes: music: zarzuella waltz / ivory satin / 3s sat / 2a / flycam with nice pos / skating backwards fell / ftwrk 2z is good / combo spin is ok / strt steps / layback spin to end / I was distracted during her program, notes aren't very good / tot 29.02 currently 8th overall /

CAN Jessica Dube Start No: 13
Notes: music: poem from secret garden white satin with spaghetti straps & scattered sequins / soft chor to start / 2a / some more chor that is elegant & with soft music / 3z fell - did a gorgeous one in warmup / flycam with excellent extension to catch foot / spirals are pretty and carry speed nice extension / she's moving right with music / 3s hand down couldn't get off the 2nd jump / O ftwrk flows with music / layback with foot to head to strt leg / combo spin with cam & low fast tuck sit ending in open leg / the program itself is just lovely (David Wilson) and she expresses the music so well - it's a part of her, or so it seems / tot 40.04 currently 1st overall /
CAN Amanda Billings Start No: 14
Notes: withdrew - announced to media during Senior CD - sprained ankle on Dec 21 and thought it was ok, but decided this morning that it wasn't

CAN Kristen Walker Start No: 15
Notes: music: libertango purple & fushia / some chor / 2a / 3t2t / flycam doesn't have much fly but lovely spin with layout & then layover pos / coe spiral starts seq - carries good speed & nice pos / 3s with a big smile / layback is fast & centered - pretty good pos / str tftwrk is in character of music & flows very well / combo spin is fast with very nice sit variations / good skate - had the character of the tango for most of the program / tot 40.68 currently 2nd overall /
CAN Erin Scherrer Start No: 16
Notes: music: bloodcount light blue & dark blue on one side hard to describe (in my limited descriptive vocabulary) but very pretty / 2l / ftwrk 3t light hand down pitched forawrd / very nice layback with pos variations - nice back / strt ftwrk flows with the music very well / inside out spiral starts the seq to beillman / 2a / fly sit with very nice high tuck & good spin pos / a bit of chor / combo spin - very well done - lovely pos & good speed / tot 41.46 currently 1st overall /
CAN Signe Ronka Start No: 17
Notes: music: love theme - cinema paradso irridescent dress / some nice chor with spirals to start right with the music very nice / 3s2l turnout on l / flysit with high tuck & fast low spin with variations / ftwrk 3t pitched forward but clean / layback is very nice with strt leg / strt ftwrk flowed so lovely with the music first 2/3 on 1 foot then twizzles / 1a / spirals are also chor'd wonderfully with music / combo spin is excellent with changes of pos pharsed right with music / 40.48 currently 4th overall /
CAN Amelie Lacoste Start No: 18
Notes: music: el conquistrador bright yellow with black semi sheer over top / spanish guitar & some nice chor to match now the driving beat starts / 3l had down then spun on both feet - had planned a 3l3l / 3f hand down / layback went by so fast I really didn't see it / spirals as music lightens - cover good ice & good pos / travel 3s into 2a / death drop with nice fly and very fast low sit spin / pause at the boards and footwork to castanettes - matches quite well and ends in a twizzles seemed to have about 6 rev / combo spin with excellent speed & good pos / tot 43.22 currently 2nd overall /
CAN Lesley Hawker Start No: 19
Notes: music: smile turqoise strapless with turqoise sequins on back & sleeves / some chor to start / down this end for 2z2t / some chor / 3f fell / strt ftwrk expresses the music nicely / combo spin is fast throughout with nice camel & sit variations / outside in spiral starts the seq / lovely ina into 2a step out / death drop is nice / layback is lovely nice low back & fast with strt leg / tot 41.82 currently 1st overall /
CAN Myriane Samson Start No: 20
Notes: music: xotika white dress with X on back / some chor with twizzle to start / 3z2l with a huge smile / 3l think 2ft but at far end of rink / bailed on axel didn't get off ice right / deathdrop to nice tuck sit / spirals start with coe / layback with strt then sideways lean / ftwrk flows just beautifully with the music / combo spin ends in fast scratch / nice program / tot 39.68 currently 7th overall /

CAN Meagan Duhamel Start No: 21
Notes: music: croation rhapsody purple with lace around top of bodice / some chor to start out into spiral seq which is ok / music picks up speed & so does she / 3f / flysit with high tuck & low tuck spin / popped lutz / strt ftwrk is fast & with the music long seq on 1 foot / layback is fast with arm variations / 2a / a couple of split jumps / combo spin with a couple of unique pos / chor into final pose / tot 42.46 currently 2nd overall /
CAN Joannie Rochette Start No: 22
Notes: music: like a prayer new dress white with white lace at midreff - very nice / a bit of chor to start / music adds driving beat as she enters her 3z2t / some more chor and down the ice for the 3f hand down / bit of chor and into layback with very good speed & nice pos variations / spirals are with the music - pretty good extension / strt steps as music picks up and crowd is clapping / almost waxel went off back of blade and bailed / combo spin / death drop with sit variations / tot 56.42 currently 1st /

CAN Tanika Gibbons Start No: 23
Notes: music: spanish caravan she started out in warmup with a fushia dress with black lace over but the zipper broke and she wore it pinned for warmup. She is now wearing stephanie cameron's dress (with a little adjustment) from earlier tonight / some chor to start / 2a neat feet / some chor as music picks up & changes / 3t landed dead stop on her toe but held on and managed to get 2nd jump off of the same edge / flycam with nice spin pos / 3l rotated but free foot went down fast & awkward / spirals start with coe / sideways layback going to strt back all with strt leg / strt steps are right with the sticatto music & flow quite well / back cam starts the combo spin with nice pos - maybe a little slow / tot 43.52 currently 4th overall /
CAN Mira Leung Start No: 24
Notes: music: freedom yellow one sleeve with white at hem / some chor to rain & winds sounds / ftwrk 3f flipped out / 3z2l / some chor into fast layback with foot to head then up into beillman / 2a / spiral coe start in catchfoot then regular / flycam with variation to donut / O ftwrk to music that is faster - chor'd with music & she's using her whole body / combo spin bit of trav on cam beillman on one foot catchfoot on other ending in side split / tot 50.54 currently 2nd overall / \

rain

Record Breaker
Doesn't really sound like it was a banner night for anyone, including Rochette. I was hoping she'd put down a cleaner skate than that as her last competitive SP before the Olympics. Send her off with some more confidence.
Then again, last year at Canadians she peaked - had her best performances of the season and reeled of what I thought was the finest LP in the world last season - only to fall apart at worlds, so maybe this is a good sign and she's heading for a strong Olympic outing.

I'm kinda disappointed that second place looks all but locked up for Mira Leung. I don't really have anything against her, and admire her go-get-it attitude, but don't particularly think she has the skating skills necessary for the big-time international stage yet. I'll have to wait until I see her performance, however, as she may have improved since I saw her earlier in the season. At least I hope so. It doesn't sound like there's anybody else I'd particularly rather they send, so.....

Kara Bear

Final Flight
rain said:
I'm kinda disappointed that second place looks all but locked up for Mira Leung. I don't really have anything against her, and admire her go-get-it attitude, but don't particularly think she has the skating skills necessary for the big-time international stage yet.

ITA. She may have the jumps, but she doesn't have the polish to suceed internationally IMO. . . yet

chania36

On the Ice
I do not like her positions when she jumps, she gets her head into her neck way to bad position. Her shoulders are lifted up to her neck, so either way, it comes to the same thing, I just cant feel that she has the whole package. She has a lot of work to do on presentation and position.

sk8rmommy

Rinkside
Okay, maybe I just don't understand the marking system like I thought I did, but I thought some of the skaters were marked higher than they should. Now don't get me wrong, I love Lesley Hawker's smile, the whole story about being one of 10 kids etc, but I didn't think she should have come ahead of someone like Signe Ronka who I thought had completed more of the elements...her spins were better...Hawker travelled on hers....her combo was better....she landed a triple toe.....Hawker fell on her triple....is it just me?

rain

Record Breaker
geisha said:
To be frank, she's the most consistent skater. She should have gotten the silver medal last year. I just can't understand why the Canadian judges insisted on sending some hopeless skaters such as Phaneuf and even Rochette to the world stage and only saw their crushing defeat.

These skaters just can not jump in a consistent manner. They're hopeless.If you always fall in the competition, no matter how 'beautifully' you perform, you'll never get acknowledged at international stage.

Mira may still be too immature, but her biggest advantage is her consistency. You'll see her evolve for years ahead. I can guarantee you that Phaneuf and Rochette will probably disappear in one to two years.

You cannot be serious in your evaluation of Rochette as a hopeless skater. She has had the best international results of any Canadian lady in years - yes, including Leung, who didn't exactly set the world on fire during her Grand Prix events for the very reason that she does still look extremely juniorish and unrefined, though I do admit she's made some improvements this year. Rochette basically had her one bad performance of the year at last year's worlds. Other than that she has had consistantly exceptional results, and could quite conceivably stand on a world podium in the future.
I have no idea what makes you think she's going to be gone in a year or two.
As for Phaneuf, she too has had some good international results though this season has been completely derailed due to injury, unfortunately, and I'm not sure if she will ever come back as strong - though I certainly hope so.
I agree that Leung is a fairly promising young skater, and may indeed, in years to come, have some good international performances. My point was, she's not there yet.

Saundy

On the Ice
geisha said:
twice, three times in one competition, no matter how superb your 'artistic' element is, judges at world stage simply won't buy it.

Here is my prediction. Rochette will fall at least twice tomorrow but Canadian judge will still put her far ahead of Mira tomorrow. In Italy, it will be another story, Rochette will have another disastrous performance there just as she did last year, and Mira will rank ahead of her.

In my opinion and I may be biased because I like her alot...but no, I don't think Joannie will fall at all tomorrow and she will win deservedly. As for Torino, even if Joannie has a disastrous time there, which I don't think she will, she would still place ahead of Mira. I also love Mira, but she has some jump issues, as well as artistically. BUT she's young and I expect her to be a world contender sometime in the near future as soon as she matures more and works out the jump issues.

Just MY opinions...

mike79

On the Ice
IMO, Rochette could fall 3-4 times and still beat the rest of the Canadian Ladies' field (minus Phaneuf) because she's that much better. Leung has nothing on Rochette.

Unless Mira seriously improves I can't see myself supporting her on the international stage, and I tend to support most Canadian skaters. This isn't to say that she won't improve, I just think that to compete against the best in the world you need to look like a senior-ranked skater, not a second-tier juniorish skater.

rain

Record Breaker
[/QUOTE]Remember, figure skating is not just an artistic presentation, it is a competitive sport. In my opinion, if a skater can not jump, she/he probably should go to the professional circus instead of competing at Olympics.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be implying that Rochette cannot jump. I'm not sure where you're getting that impression. She consistently lands her jumps, including difficult triple/triple combos and triple/triple sequences. You are, of course, free to dislike her skating if you want to, but it is simply not factually correct to say she can't do the technical jumping content. As evidence to support what I'm saying, I suggest you find a video of her performance from last year's national championship.

mike79

On the Ice
geisha said:
"Rochette could fall 3-4 times and still beat the rest of the Canadian Ladies' field (minus Phaneuf) because she's that much better. Leung has nothing on Rochette..."

This comment really makes me laugh. Let's face it, if she falls 3-4 times at Olympics just as she did last year at world champ., she's going nowhere at world stage.

I understand, of course, she'll always be the idol of Canadian fans who suck up to her. If you think a skater can fall 3-4 times at competition and still claim to be top-tiered, you're really in the la la land.

While what I posted may have been extreme, is it really that far off the mark? Who in Canada can actually skate as well as Rochette? None of the ladies from this competition can. She interprets the music extremely well, has great speed and flow, wonderful edging qualities, and programs that are filled with intricacies that only David Wilson programs have.

That's on top of her jumping abilities that are world-class. She has a 3-3 combo, a 3-3 sequence, and a true Lutz. Sure she's not Mao Asada landing 3Axels with ease but who is? She certainly has the technical content of Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan.

Joannie certainly didn't skate that well last night, and the mistake on the 2Axel was silly. There are many skaters who have had mental lapses like she did last night. Kurt Browning turned a 2Axel in to a single at the 1994 Olympics and kissed the gold medal goodbye, and Elvis Stojko blew a 2Axel in the SP at 1993 Worlds in Prague. They're certainly not skaters who fall under the one-hit-wonder label.

Yes, you are right that if she fell at Worlds or Olympics she would certainly be out of contention. This is, however, not either of those competitions. Like it or lump it, Rochette is the class of the field and would have to fall more than once to lose her title.

Kathleenie

Spectator
mike79 said:
Joannie certainly didn't skate that well last night, and the mistake on the 2Axel was silly. There are many skaters who have had mental lapses like she did last night. Kurt Browning turned a 2Axel in to a single at the 1994 Olympics and kissed the gold medal goodbye, and Elvis Stojko blew a 2Axel in the SP at 1993 Worlds in Prague. They're certainly not skaters who fall under the one-hit-wonder label. .

Maybe I am wrong, but this is the first time that I have ever seen Joannie miss her 2Axel in competition. It is very rare for her to miss that jump. I also cannot see her fading away in a year or two, either. She is far stronger & superior than the rest in the field.

rain

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
While what I posted may have been extreme, is it really that far off the mark? Who in Canada can actually skate as well as Rochette? None of the ladies from this competition can. She interprets the music extremely well, has great speed and flow, wonderful edging qualities, and programs that are filled with intricacies that only David Wilson programs have.

That's on top of her jumping abilities that are world-class. She has a 3-3 combo, a 3-3 sequence, and a true Lutz. Sure she's not Mao Asada landing 3Axels with ease but who is? She certainly has the technical content of Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan.

Joannie certainly didn't skate that well last night, and the mistake on the 2Axel was silly. There are many skaters who have had mental lapses like she did last night. Kurt Browning turned a 2Axel in to a single at the 1994 Olympics and kissed the gold medal goodbye, and Elvis Stojko blew a 2Axel in the SP at 1993 Worlds in Prague. They're certainly not skaters who fall under the one-hit-wonder label.

Yes, you are right that if she fell at Worlds or Olympics she would certainly be out of contention. This is, however, not either of those competitions. Like it or lump it, Rochette is the class of the field and would have to fall more than once to lose her title.

I totally agree with this. It was evident even with her sub-par skate in the SP that none of the other ladies were in her league. It was an error-filled, uninspiring event on the whole and with everyone making mistakes on the jumps Rochette's other stuff was more than enough to beat the field.

The other skater to catch my eye was actually Tanika Gibbons, who I thought had a lot of potential. Amelie Lacoste also looked promising. Both of these girls had an "it" factor, along with decent technical skills that stood out, IMO.

passion

On the Ice
Well, it was too bad for the fall by Joannie. I think overall as a skater, Joannie is a better skater than Mira. However, I do think Mira has improved tremendously in the speed and artistic aspect of her skating. I think even her edges have improved. I think her choregrapher has helped her to find a style that really suits her and that is something that was definitely lacking in the past. So, I think both Joannie and Mira are deserving of 1st and 2nd place, respectively.

I will make a note about Mira, though. I do wish someone would help her relearn or fix up her double axel as she consisitently is way too leaning during the jump. I think it is the take off and prep that needs correcting.

One other skater did catch my eye, and that was Tanika Gibbons of BC. I think she is one to look for in the future.

rain

Record Breaker
passion said:
Well, it was too bad for the fall by Joannie. I think overall as a skater, Joannie is a better skater than Mira. However, I do think Mira has improved tremendously in the speed and artistic aspect of her skating. I think even her edges have improved. I think her choregrapher has helped her to find a style that really suits her and that is something that was definitely lacking in the past. So, I think both Joannie and Mira are deserving of 1st and 2nd place, respectively.

I will make a note about Mira, though. I do wish someone would help her relearn or fix up her double axel as she consisitently is way too leaning during the jump. I think it is the take off and prep that needs correcting.

One other skater did catch my eye, and that was Tanika Gibbons of BC. I think she is one to look for in the future.

I agree with everything you said except a slight correction: Rochette did not fall. She touched down on her flip and did a wacky axel instead of the planned double, but she stayed on her feet.

mike79

On the Ice
geisha said:
To compare Rochette to Sasha Cohen is, quite honestly, offensive. I know you all love her.

I still remember vividly all the TV anchors were gushing at her last year and commented that her scores at Canadian national could match the Russian lady. Look at what happened. Come on, give me a break.

I admit her artistry element is good, but still a long way from top contenders from Russia, U.S. and even Japan. Her inconsistency in jumping is bringing her nowhere at world stage.

Remember, figure skating is not ballet.

If we want to talk about inconsistencies with jumping we need only look as far as Sasha Cohen. Does it make her any less of a skater? No, Sasha is a great skater, one of the best in the world. But she does struggle to put together two clean programs in a row. And why is it so 'offensive' to compare the two skaters? Sasha has better spirals, extension, and spins, but Rochette has better edging and jumps. I'm not saying that Rochette is better, but Sasha has certainly never been the model for consistency. Look at her US Championship results: she has never won even though she has led going into the LP on more than one occasion. I'm sure she will win tomorrow night but the monkey will never be off her back: she'll have never won Nationals with Michelle Kwan competing.

I don't think you really understand what you're talking about when it comes to Rochette's LP from Canadians last year. Rochette delivered a completely clean and inspired performance, and it earned her the highest marks in the world at the time (yes it can be argued they were a tad inflated at a national championship, yet it was still a magnificent performance). However, she skated poorly at Worlds and her marks and final standing reflected that. These are two different competitions. If she had skated like she did at Canadians she would certainly have placed much higher at Worlds, and her LP from Canadians would have been podium worthy.

No one is saying that Rochette is the best in the world. She is the best in Canada at the moment and her potential is very high. Unlike you, me (and mostly everyone to reply to this thread) see this potential and tend to hope that Joannie will perform at a high level for many more years to come. It's not a matter of 'loving' Rochette, or any other skater for that matter. It's simply seeing talent in a skater and hoping that she can do well.

northguy

Rinkside
geisha said:
To compare Rochette to Sasha Cohen is, quite honestly, offensive. I know you all love her.

You are so right. :clap: Joannie is fast, has trong edges, a true lutz, amazing flow out of her huge jumps and never skated to over-used music.

I also agree with you on the fact that skating is not ballet. It is not all about achieveing full split in your spiral sequence. It is also about how deep your edge is in the spirals, how fast you are, etc.

Go Jo!:rock: Enjoy yourself in Turin, your first Olympic experience.