Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canadians - Senior Ladies Short Report

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by passion
    Well, it was too bad for the fall by Joannie. I think overall as a skater, Joannie is a better skater than Mira. However, I do think Mira has improved tremendously in the speed and artistic aspect of her skating. I think even her edges have improved. I think her choregrapher has helped her to find a style that really suits her and that is something that was definitely lacking in the past. So, I think both Joannie and Mira are deserving of 1st and 2nd place, respectively.

I will make a note about Mira, though. I do wish someone would help her relearn or fix up her double axel as she consisitently is way too leaning during the jump. I think it is the take off and prep that needs correcting.

One other skater did catch my eye, and that was Tanika Gibbons of BC. I think she is one to look for in the future.
    I agree with everything you said except a slight correction: Rochette did not fall. She touched down on her flip and did a wacky axel instead of the planned double, but she stayed on her feet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geisha
    To compare Rochette to Sasha Cohen is, quite honestly, offensive. I know you all love her.

I still remember vividly all the TV anchors were gushing at her last year and commented that her scores at Canadian national could match the Russian lady. Look at what happened. Come on, give me a break.

I admit her artistry element is good, but still a long way from top contenders from Russia, U.S. and even Japan. Her inconsistency in jumping is bringing her nowhere at world stage.

Remember, figure skating is not ballet.
    If we want to talk about inconsistencies with jumping we need only look as far as Sasha Cohen. Does it make her any less of a skater? No, Sasha is a great skater, one of the best in the world. But she does struggle to put together two clean programs in a row. And why is it so 'offensive' to compare the two skaters? Sasha has better spirals, extension, and spins, but Rochette has better edging and jumps. I'm not saying that Rochette is better, but Sasha has certainly never been the model for consistency. Look at her US Championship results: she has never won even though she has led going into the LP on more than one occasion. I'm sure she will win tomorrow night but the monkey will never be off her back: she'll have never won Nationals with Michelle Kwan competing.

I don't think you really understand what you're talking about when it comes to Rochette's LP from Canadians last year. Rochette delivered a completely clean and inspired performance, and it earned her the highest marks in the world at the time (yes it can be argued they were a tad inflated at a national championship, yet it was still a magnificent performance). However, she skated poorly at Worlds and her marks and final standing reflected that. These are two different competitions. If she had skated like she did at Canadians she would certainly have placed much higher at Worlds, and her LP from Canadians would have been podium worthy.

No one is saying that Rochette is the best in the world. She is the best in Canada at the moment and her potential is very high. Unlike you, me (and mostly everyone to reply to this thread) see this potential and tend to hope that Joannie will perform at a high level for many more years to come. It's not a matter of 'loving' Rochette, or any other skater for that matter. It's simply seeing talent in a skater and hoping that she can do well.

Rinkside
    Amélie Lacoste didn't combine the loop but did combine the 3flip with a double toe!

Custom Title
    Rain, thanks for the correction. re: Joannie didnot fall.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by geisha
    To compare Rochette to Sasha Cohen is, quite honestly, offensive. I know you all love her.
    You are so right. Joannie is fast, has trong edges, a true lutz, amazing flow out of her huge jumps and never skated to over-used music.

I also agree with you on the fact that skating is not ballet. It is not all about achieveing full split in your spiral sequence. It is also about how deep your edge is in the spirals, how fast you are, etc.

Go Jo! Enjoy yourself in Turin, your first Olympic experience.

Custom Title
    Joannie has beautiful deep edges and extremely strong skating skills. She has lots of speed and power in her strokes. Her style actually reminds me that of Michelle Kwan in the way she moves to music and her choice of music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2