Thought re. ESPN2 & ABC Coverage, in general
What did you guys think???
I give an A+ to last night's spectacular telecast...wow, almost FOUR HOURS of pure skating and minimal fluff! We got to see FOURTEEN ladies SPs, for goodness sake! Almost as good as being in St Louis...maybe even better because I saw it all, live, from my Lazy Boy Chair munching on my favorite snack, LOL!
* Smuckers Skycam was much 'better behaved' this time than last year's mess. It was not overused last night.
* KURT ROCKS as commentator. Smooth, soft-voice yet soooo witty when appropriate. I thought that it was nice that ABC subtly gave Kurt the LEAD in the men's commentating. Kurt always started out the comments on each guy's performance...Dick Button merely chimed in & added his wise-old-sage comments. Did y'all notice that?
* The Kurt-and-Kat combo also ROCKS. I love Kat's honesty. Peter - Suzy - Terry....wonderful Dream Team, all of them.
* Peggy - always her lovely self but...Is it just me or did Peggy seem ill or shaky-voiced, a bit? Maybe she just has flu or a cold. I loved her gracious comments for even the weaker skaters out there. It's nice to have someone say something nice about a lower-ranked skater.
* Leave it to ESPN/ABC to nominate Paul Wylie as the 'Team Master-Mathematician' - the only thing missing was a white doctor's jacket and a laser pointer! I thought that, at any moment, he'd be putting CAT Scans up on those plasma screens behind him!!!
* THANK GOODNESS Christine Brennan was nowhere to be found last night (although she made an appearance on Good Morning America's piece on Michele, yesterday morning)
* As much as I love Dick...he sounded as if he was 'eating crow' after trash-talking through Michael Weiss' wonderful skate. Ha-ha!!! Weiss is now in 2nd and with a great chance to make his THIRD Olympic team.
* Nice calm introduction to the show - they've finally done away with the Bring In Da Noise-Bring In Da Funk garbage-can-lid intro! THANK YOU, ESPN/ABC!
Again - the best darn Nationals telecast that I've ever seen. Bravo! Keep it up, ESPN-ABC!!!!!!
Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-13-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport
I very much enjoyed last night's skating. The only thing that is very irritating to me is the sound......and I don't mean the banner at the bottom and coloring. Sometimes it looked like everything was green......and no it is not my TV.
I wished Paul was doing the commentating with Dick and Peggy.
Resident Kristi Fan
I enjoyed it very much. My only negatives would be: no pairs...I wanted to see NNN!, fewer OD's...wish we could've seen the top 8 and the wretched skycam!
But the live aspect was great...especially for this westcoaster who rarely gets live skating (with the exception of the men's FS each year). Seeing the lower ranked ladies was rather neat. And you can't beat almost four hours of skating!
Last edited by purplecat; 01-13-2006 at 12:38 PM.
I thought the coverage was very much improved and I was happy with it. They had few commercial breaks (compared to the usual break in between each skater), more coverage, better picture and color than in the past and the sound was much much improved. I was happy with it and the little strip at the bottom didn't even bother me.
kurt was too sarcastic for my taste
I was plesantly surprised! I loved that we got to seem teams that normally don't place in the top 6 - usually you'd have to go to Nationals to see them skate and IMO, they really make nationals - NATIONALS!!!!
I would however, liked to have seen more dance teams - esp. Tiffany and her partner and Loren and her partner.
As far as talking heads, I liked it. I guess I'm just one of those folks that don't think its skating unless Peggy and Dick are there. I like that Susie was there for the dance segment (I think Terry Gannon was too) but I wasn't sure what the point of Witt was?...hello - she's not a us citizen and why would most people even want to hear from her?
An odd thing was Paul...his "Professor" gig explaining the scoring could have been a good informative segment, but aside from having trouble writing on the screen, the segments seemed out of place....Maybe they'll work the kinks out.
I didn't like Kurt...Isn't he Canadian?- what's he doing broadcasting at US Nationals? (that like Dick doing Canadians)
The SkyCam wasn't as bad as last year - some cool shots but I noticed they used if far less than last year. I guess they either figured out that it wasn't producing great shots or actually read the emails from people complaining about it. If I were a skater, I could NOT imagine how distracting having this thing flying above me would be. Its like some snot-nosed kid brought a remote controlled airplane in the building and was flying it around.
Oh, BTW - you see that crash btween the two Jr. Dance teams! MAN!!! he was really bit HARD! poor guy.
I know its been posted places, but who is commentation for the Men,Ladies, Dance and Pairs in Torino?
Last edited by dwiggin3; 01-13-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Arm Chair Skate Fan
I love Kurt and his comments, and Kat is okay at best, but together.......silly, silly............42
Most guys act rather silly around Kat,LOL. I wonder if they are picturing her from her Playboy pics?
I loved Ryan Bradley's cute pointing-up (& winking) at the skycam during the footwork segment of his routine. That was hilarious!
Originally Posted by dwiggin3
re. Torino-NBC - I only know that Scott Hamilton will be the lead anchor. Too, Katarina Witt will be there in some capacity, it was announced, but I don't know if it's in the booth, backstage, etc. Dick Button will be hosting his own one-hr daily show on USA network (6pm EST each night) so I don't think he'll be part of the main NBC broadcasts.
Arm Chair Skate Fan
My major complaint would be that we only saw 7 men's SP but 14 women? At least even it up a bit more. Like 10 men & 11 women. I think we have more depth currently in the mens field & the mens programs are more difficult & interesting to watch. I don't care for Kurt Browning's commentary. I don't find him amusing or interesting off the ice. I am looking forward to this evening's dance & pairs coverage. First time in years that I really cared about either.
Remember, the ladies event was being telecast live, with the men's part being pre-recorded. So they were at the mercy of the live event and working around the times when the top ladies were skating, which dictated just how much of the men's they could show. And the show started at 7:30pm (EST), which is actually 30 minutes earlier than one would expect for primetime.
Originally Posted by merrywidow
Me too, it irritated me
Originally Posted by curious
Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport
Can anyone explain the 3 guys in the bathroom. I thought I'm missing something here or this is really inappropriate.
Originally Posted by FreeKatie
I was disgusted too. I understand this is a macho network but watching men peeing is disgusting.
Originally Posted by Dee4707
As for the telecast I was delighted to see 14 Women and many ice dance teams. However I would have liked to see the team that placed fourth in pairs.