Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thought re. ESPN2 & ABC Coverage, in general

Rinkside
    I don't have cable, so I couldn't watch it - I really wish ESPN didn't take over so much of the skating, especially international events! Oh well, I'm glad it was good coverage. :frown2:

Custom Title
    ESPN coverage so much better than ABC! Less about fluff and more about skating. I wish ESPN did the long programs instead... and I bet they would have shown Jahnke. That was my biggest complaint about the weekend - no Jahnke and he finished 6th and he's a proven international competitor and his programs rock this year in terms of entertainment value (I think).

Custom Title
    I hate the friggin sky cam. Hate it. For some reason I didn't mind it on Cohen & Rosenthal but otherwise Arghh. And although I think this year's camera work was much better in the long- I got tired of the close-ups and upper body shots in the ladies short (& mens to a lesser degree.) I wish they'd do a wide angel on replay to give a better idea of height/speed.

That said, I am greatly appreciative of seeing the almost the entire final 2 flights of men, women and dance; but why did we not see the Scott/Fein program that was the 3rd best free?

Terry, Peter and Suzie are my favorites and sometimes I am really in the mood for a good Buttonism.

Someone needs to put Kurt on Adderol.

Custom Title
    Just partway through watching the ABC coverage Saturday night - being in Canada I don't get ESPN at all.
    The ABC coverage is horrible. A full HOUR of fluff before ANY of the skating. Appalling, absolutely appalling. And the pieces....shudder. Katy Taylor waxing poetic about her barbie dream hummer? Is that supposed to make me like her? I actually enjoyed her skate, but can't bring myself to have much respect for her immature gas guzzling fantasies - didn't do her any favours. Has the girl not heard of global warming? The rising price of oil? The need to protect the environment? It wasn't cute. It just made her look spoiled and vapid.

Okay, now that that's out of my system, I was LOL at Dick Button's comments re: the ladies omnipresent Biellman and catchfoot mania. I wrote something almost exactly like that on the ladies FS thread for the Canadian championships - even down to suggesting a Zayak rule for the catchfoot/Beillman position. Button - who I'm not generally a fan of for commentary, hit it right on the nose when he said it's being used not only way to much, but to hide deficiencies skaters have in hitting classic positions in spirals and spins.

Good God, a fluff piece before every single lady pretty much.... I think I'll have to change the channel, tape it on my VCR and FF through the crap to the skating.

On the Ice
    I used to like Scott Hamilton a lot as a commentator -- he's usually such a nice guy with his observations, and his opinions are usually totally on target. Unfortunately, I haven't yet forgiven him for his snarky commentary over Yagudin's LP at the SLC Olys. I understand that he has to hype the American competitor (i.e. Timothy), but his narrative overlaying Yagudin's incredible performance was really over the top. Apparently, everyone in the arena except SH realized that Yagudin was the clear winner; Scott's commentary really detracted from one of the best men's performances I've seen yet at the OLYS, IMHO.

Custom Title
    I have watched some sp and lp clips and enjoyed the skating of e.g. Weir and Lysacek very much, but really hated that I had to listen to all that blabbering coming from Button and some other commentator. It was soooo toally annoying, because it spoiled the music in skaters´ performances. Why don´t they just restrict their comments on the essentials during a performance??? During slow motions they could speak more and while waiting for scores.
    Last edited by Jaana; 01-15-2006 at 06:09 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rain
    Just partway through watching the ABC coverage Saturday night - being in Canada I don't get ESPN at all.
    The ABC coverage is horrible. A full HOUR of fluff before ANY of the skating. Appalling, absolutely appalling. And the pieces....shudder. Katy Taylor waxing poetic about her barbie dream hummer? Is that supposed to make me like her? I actually enjoyed her skate, but can't bring myself to have much respect for her immature gas guzzling fantasies - didn't do her any favours. Has the girl not heard of global warming? The rising price of oil? The need to protect the environment? It wasn't cute. It just made her look spoiled and vapid.

Okay, now that that's out of my system, I was LOL at Dick Button's comments re: the ladies omnipresent Biellman and catchfoot mania. I wrote something almost exactly like that on the ladies FS thread for the Canadian championships - even down to suggesting a Zayak rule for the catchfoot/Beillman position. Button - who I'm not generally a fan of for commentary, hit it right on the nose when he said it's being used not only way to much, but to hide deficiencies skaters have in hitting classic positions in spirals and spins.

Good God, a fluff piece before every single lady pretty much.... I think I'll have to change the channel, tape it on my VCR and FF through the crap to the skating.
    Agree on all counts, especially the Taylor/Hummer bit that was :rolleyes:

Tripping on the Podium

Kurt does a great job

I really like Kurt's commentary. He is still skating - at least TV specials, etc. - so he still feels like a skater. So his comments show a direct empathy with the skaters. I love when he says what he thinks the skater should say to herself, either before a tough element or after a mistake. I think he is funny, honest and fair. He also has good insights about why things are or are not working. I think Kurt's approach balances Dick's no nonsense style very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2