Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US Natls - Pairs FINALS, 3:30 pm EST today!

So does this mean that Marci and Aaron go to Turino and Katy and Garret stay home? Wow, as much as I like Hinzmann and Parchem, I have mixed emotions about that.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by emma
    me too. But then again, I really just want to see Rohene more...but seriously, if they could skate in unison, i bet it would be beautiful.
    I'd pay to see them spiral together.

I'm not 100% sure whether John's wonky landing was on a 2 or 3. Whether 2 or 3, it was probably "clean" in a technical sense - i.e. no hand or but on the ice. But it was absolultely a classic bad landing. (can't wait for score sheets!!)

Even with the 3A, I'm not sure about top six at Oly's or world's. I'm no technic, and I haven't seen the other international pairs live, which is very different IMO than TV or internet. (but thank goodness for TV AND Internet!!) It was certainly a dramatic moment, and I would hope they might contend for top 6 with these programs if they can go clean.

Another comment. Of course the crowd was WILD at the end of their program - especially with the 3A being a historic moment. John really is a fun personality on ice, and as they were taking bows (and bows and bows - based on crowd demand) it was fun to see how he presented HER. Everything about his body language IMO was "look what she did!!" He was presenting HER success to the crowd, at least that's how it seemed to me. It was an exciting moment to experience.

OK - a little more goofing off, then I'm going to catch that last couple groups of Dance FD's.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    So does this mean that Marci and Aaron go to Turino and Katy and Garret stay home? Wow, as much as I like Hinzmann and Parchem, I have mixed emotions about that.

MM
    Good point, Mathman.........couldn't Katy and Garret be put on the Oly team instead of Marci and Aaron? 42

Skater Girl
    Katie and Garrett are staying home. I&B and H&P have been named to the Oly team.

I'm thrilled for I&B! Happy for H&P! Pleasantly surprised for Scott and partner Fein (have never seen them together). Feel really bad for O&L. And I'm sure Naomi & partner Themi (still haven't really seen them either) are disappointed, but they should be proud of their effort here and I hope they have a successful future!

I hope we get to see all five tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    Katie and Garrett are staying home. I&B and H&P have been named to the Oly team.
    Thanks, Lanie............that's the way it goes, I guess..........42

That's a tough call especially since they were the defending national champions.. I would love to hear what goes on at the selection meetings. Did they announce the team to the audience, and if so what was the reaction?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Wouldn't that be great or even with Johnny.

Dee
    I think Johnny would rather someone be throwing and lifting him...lol

What would Brian Boitano do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    That's a tough call especially since they were the defending national champions.. I would love to hear what goes on at the selection meetings. Did they announce the team to the audience, and if so what was the reaction?
    They did not announce it in the arena.

I'm still pretty disappointed at the way they've scored H&P so high, both this year and last year, but O & L had a pretty horrible skate. It was sooo sad. Katie looked like she was going to cry all over again at the medal ceremony tonight.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8fanconvert
    They did not announce it in the arena.

I'm still pretty disappointed at the way they've scored H&P so high, both this year and last year, but O & L had a pretty horrible skate. It was sooo sad. Katie looked like she was going to cry all over again at the medal ceremony tonight.
    She did cry actually. I moved to the section next to judges for a better view and the bronze and pewter medal stands were right in front of me. Poor girl that was very sad.

But I am so pumped for John and Rena! That was an amazing feeling to witness a historic event like this. The crowd was on fire. Others mentioned it, but he always puts her first as far as getting the credit. That is so sweet! But the kiss!!! Go John and Rena!!!!!!

I was thrilled to see Naomi back in the Nationals. Looks like they did not get the score for their spectacular split lift (hands being on the hips vs the waist). At the time it felt that they got shafted. Hopefully by next year they will be more comfortable with the scoring system/rules and will get their due!

Medalist
    I was so glad I/B won nationals and that the first throw 3axel was landed. They are possible dark horse contenders in Turin for a medal.

But I thought Nam and Leftharis should've been 2nd tonight even with getting no credit on one of their lifts. The other 2 teams just bored me to tears and I was yelling at the TV to hurry up their programs to get them over with.

Custom Title
    Is it safe to say US pairs is out of the can?
    While I am bummed about Nam/Letheris marks. It is safe to say barring breaup and injuries they will have an awesome future together.

Custom Woman
    Rena and John's historic throw 3Axel was just awesome to the nth degree! Although US pairs aren't the best in the World, they're getting there.

I too was bummed about the scores Nam and Leftharis received, but when they pointed out the mistake on the lift, you just had to chalk it up to a rookie mistake. They've only been together nine months, IIRC. With another year together, staying healthy, I can see them being really exciting.

Speaking of Rohene, Derrick Delmore is the skater he reminds me of (I couldn't remember Derrick's name earlier). They both have great, smooth flow but don't do so well on consistent jumps. I think Rohene would actually make a better ice dancer than pairs partner because of his beautiful flow.

Speaking of ice dancing, my second most favorite outcome was Jamie Silverstein and Ryan O' Meare making the Olympic team. Jamie has been through so much and has contributed so much by speaking out about her anorexia, it was just great to see her get to go to the Olympics now that she's ready. She looks great, too. Like an actual woman. I hope Sasha takes note that one can look great with more weight on, especially muscle weight for someone like Sasha, and not only skate well but probably skate even better. No implication that Sasha has an eating disorder.

The men's skater I would most like to see go to pairs is Ryan Bradley. He's tall, he's muscular, and he's twinkling-eyed gorgeous. IMO, Ryan is too tall and too old now to get anywhere in singles, but I bet he'd make a terrific pairs skater and partner.

OT: Did anybody else on the east coast have a messed up cable feed? The entire FD of Belbin and Agosto was a mess. The commercials came through perfectly, of course, which makes me think the problem was with ESPN. I was so POd that I didn't get to see Tanith and Ben, nor much of Jamie and Ryan either.

Final bummer: Didn't get to see Tiffany Stiegler and partner. I'll watch that girl perform anytime, anywhere.

Congrats to the pairs and dance Olympic teams!

Rgirl

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    John's 3T was rotated completely, but had a craptacular landing, AFAIR. Everything else was great.

Someone asked how I&B might do internationally. The international judges have always been quite kind to them, even with their inconsistent SBS jumps. It's worth remembering that at Skate America, they finished ahead of Obertas and Slavnov, even with John doubling a triple lutz in both the short and the long. They were at the GP Final last year. TEB had the best pairs skating of the year, and if John and Rena had skated exactly the same as they did there at some of the other competitions, they would have made it again. They are currently 8th in the ISU world standing.

Overlook their PCS scores. The USFSA is having a great time inflating everyone's PCS scores. John and Rena had a TES score of 66.89, if I copied it down correctly. For comparison, at the GPF:

Tatiana Totmianina / Maxim Marinin RUS 126.68 64.76 61.92 8.05 7.50 7.75 7.65 7.75 0.00 #6 2
    Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 124.36 69.00 55.36 7.25 6.75 7.05 6.85 6.70 0.00 #3 3
    Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 118.32 61.68 56.64 7.20 6.90 7.20 7.05 7.05 0.00 #4 4
    Maria PETROVA / Alexei TIKHONOV RUS 116.00 59.96 57.04 7.50 6.85 7.20 7.05 7.05 1.00 #5 5
    Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 110.40 56.20 55.20 7.15 6.70 6.95 6.85 6.85 1.00 #1 6
    Julia OBERTAS / Sergei SLAVNOV RUS 109.92 57.64 53.28 6.80 6.35 6.75 6.80 6.60 1.00 #2

Only Zhang & Zhang have higher TES than Inoue and Baldwin with this program. I would love to see the detailed protocols to find out whether there are any inflated GOE's driving it, but it's still a very impressive number.

About selection for the Olympic team, I don't think there was any real discussion by the International committee. The first and second place teams go, that's it.

MM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast