Johnny gets a talking to from the USFSA | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Johnny gets a talking to from the USFSA

Alsace

On the Ice
One wonders if mild consequences are already beginning. There was not an interview with Johnny Weir on broadcast television after winning his third straight title. However, both Matt and Evan were interviewed about going to the Olympics.

Doggygirl said:
No, my entire post reflects my opinion. One thing I didn't make clear. In my opinion (which I am entitled to, just like you are) I don't think Johnny's remarks rise to the level of consequences such as "a talking to from the USFSA." In my opinion, had he said something like "so and so skater is a cocaine user" or "I'm going to put a bomb in Evan's room to make sure I win" even as a joke, that would, in my opinion, rise to the level of consequences such as a 'talking to from the USFSA" as he would be making personal attacks / threats.

I don't expect you to agree - I'm just clarifying my opinion.

DG
Even though I posted that Johnny should be aware of the effect of what he says may have on young skaters, I agree with you that his remarks did not rise to the level of a "talking to" by the USFSA. However, they are a conservative organization and they want their skaters saying conservative things.

For example, even though I know most of the change in Sasha is probably due to maturation, personally, I miss the outspoken "I'm out there to win" Sasha. Who knows if she changed naturally or if perceived or real pressure from the USFSA change Sasha into just another "say the right thing" skater.

I don't think Johnny's remarks have anything to do with not being "grown up." As Piel's link to that gorgeous photo of Johnny shows, at least IMO, Johnny is a naturally flamboyant young man, which some people read as immaturity. I disagree. Look at Little Richard, who is in his 60s or 70s. He's as flamboyant as ever. Other celebrities who speak their mind no matter their age include Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Whoopi Goldberg, Shirley Maclain, Angelina Jolie, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, George Clooney, and many others. And yes, they often get "in trouble" for speaking out about their views.

It seemed to me that Johnny was just being himself. If he has no problem with the "consequences," then that's all that matters in this case. Maybe Johnny will watch what he says in the future, maybe he won't. But it's his life. I may disagree with his choices, but I want to clarify that I still mean "Free speech for Johnny."

I'm with Doggy girl on this point.

Rgirl

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Just because he's outspoken doesn't make him an intelligent person. His most recent statement reminds me of the old saying "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than it is to open it and remove all doubt."

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
equestrianguy said:
Maybe the USFSA needs to talk to Johnny's mother as well. Did you see her turn her back to the camera when she saw that it was focused on her.. What was that all about??? Trying to make her own statement?:scratch:

Well -- actually -- and this ties in beautifully with the overall topic here, according to the paper this morning (San Diego Union), when Johnny was asked about making his first Oly team, his comment was "My mom is getting drunk already", so maybe THAT was the deal.... :biggrin: :laugh:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Johnny Weir reminds me a bit of both Freddie Mercury (of Queen) and Truman Capote -- flamboyant men involved in the arts who didn't flinch at saying outrageous things. Truthfully, I think Johnny is a scream. I actually find the "care bear on acid" comments less bothersome than some of the things he has said about other skaters. No care bear is going to sue you for slander. And if Johnny's comments make kids ask their parents what acid or coke is, that is a GOOD thing. Better they find out from their parents than their "friends" or people on the street.

We all know what a diva Johnny is and I do wonder if on some level he is saying these things because he craves attention. Perhaps he has adopted a credo similar to what Andy Warhol said to novelist Tama Janowitz: "Don't pay attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." His comments certainly make for salty copy.

As far as the free speech debate goes, he is clearly within his constitutional rights. It's not as though he is preaching hate against a class of people or yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater. Of course, it is also the right of the USFSA to promote other skaters more and companies to choose other athletes for endorsements if Johnny doesn't get with the program.

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Click HERE for a close-up of "the beak," which looks like a regular old utilitarian glove used to handle nuclear waste from this vantage point.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I understand where Johnny was coming from, but I also understand and appreciate the USFSA's side of things... there's free speech and then there's tact. The latter is something I think Johnny still needs a bit of work on... :laugh:

it was a cutesy funny comment, but considering his position I would think he'd want to shy away from it (hey we get on Brittany Spear's case for some of her remarks and things she's done, let's stay consistant, shall we? She's the one who said she doesn't want to be a role model. If you're a champion of a sport or a superstar some other way you're going to be looked up to whether you like it or not.)

I just want to know how he knows about these side effects and whatnot with drugs... lol

IDLERACER

Medalist
I see exactly what's going on here. If this ice skating thing doesn't pan out, this guy has got his eye on a gig in the center square, following in the footsteps of Paul Lynde and Jm J. Bullock.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
He's what, 21?

I have a daughter Johnny's age, and one thing that has yet to develop in her brain is the self-edit feature. In fact, her friends call her "Too Much Infomation Tina". I think Johnny may have similar issues. :laugh:
Now some folks never develop their brains' self-edit features (and my Spawn may just be one of them). Johnny will either have his knocked into operation and start to check himself (thanks, FSA!), or he'll grow, he'll mature, and stop tripping himself up with his own tongue.
And it's going to be a really boring day when that happens. JMHO.
xoxo
Rave

Gregor

Rinkside
new_europe2006 said:
Just because he's outspoken doesn't make him an intelligent person. His most recent statement reminds me of the old saying "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than it is to open it and remove all doubt."

I am possibly thought of as a stiff a whimp a sellout but I think that anyone who is in the public eye and is likely to influence young children by their example needs to think about their statements. It is bad enough that his costumes squeal "skating dresses" but to add to that his drug references is appalling. I love the Toller Cranston motif of his look but he is no Toller just a copycat.