Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Johnny gets a talking to from the USFSA

  1. #16
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    ...Wish I had known he was being dissed for exercising his right to free speech when I talked to him earlier today

    Out of one side of America's mouth comes a very sacred right to free speech. And then out of the other side of the mouth, comes organizations, bosses, masses, etc. that all get busy supressing it. It's either everyone's right (including possible consequences) or it's not.
    DG
    Your entire post is crazy talk. You decry the attack on Johnny's "right to free speech" and then say he must also suffer "possible consequences." The talking to by USFSA officials is the "possible consequences." Just because you can say whatever you think doesn't mean you should. Johnny should choose his words more carefully and concern himself with the impression he leaves instead of trying to always by the one that is "out there."

    Bottom line - Johnny Weir needs to grow up already.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Rocky Marval is Johnny's representative. Is this Isabelle Brasseur's hubby?



    Well duh, everybody knows that Johnny only wears boas for formal occasions.


  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

    MM


    These comments are cracking me up. Thank you...cheered me up after my big 4 hours of sleep from staying up to catch all the skating last night.

  4. #19
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31
    I think some people are just way overly sensitive. There was nothing wrong with Johnny's comment in and of itself. He is an athlete, the only responsibility he has is to skate the best he can, not try to appease everyone at all times w/ his comments - no human can do that all the time, so it is best to just be yourself.

  5. #20
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheggy
    Your entire post is crazy talk. You decry the attack on Johnny's "right to free speech" and then say he must also suffer "possible consequences." The talking to by USFSA officials is the "possible consequences." Just because you can say whatever you think doesn't mean you should. Johnny should choose his words more carefully and concern himself with the impression he leaves instead of trying to always by the one that is "out there."

    Bottom line - Johnny Weir needs to grow up already.
    No, my entire post reflects my opinion. One thing I didn't make clear. In my opinion (which I am entitled to, just like you are) I don't think Johnny's remarks rise to the level of consequences such as "a talking to from the USFSA." In my opinion, had he said something like "so and so skater is a cocaine user" or "I'm going to put a bomb in Evan's room to make sure I win" even as a joke, that would, in my opinion, rise to the level of consequences such as a 'talking to from the USFSA" as he would be making personal attacks / threats.

    I don't expect you to agree - I'm just clarifying my opinion.

    DG
    Last edited by Doggygirl; 01-14-2006 at 11:24 AM.

  6. #21
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

    MM
    You are too funny!!!

  7. #22
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Mo
    Myabe his exhibition song should be Weezer's "We are All on Drugs."
    How about "Don't Like The Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)" by (I think tho I'm not totally sure) Nine Inch Nails??

    And mathman, that was just TOO damn funny....

  8. #23
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    68
    Dear Johnny,

    This issue has NOTHING to do with sensorship - it's about being a responsible and respectful person = good sportsmanship.

    Note: I have one counsel to Johnny and anyone else, and that is to "BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU SAY!"

    Also, here'a another analogy Dear Johnny... You wouldn't respectfully tell someone to go f*%$k themselves on TV either - no matter how upset you are with the person...or would YOU???? 'Cause if you think that is and what said appropriate, then you and Bode Miller (skier) should be watching the Olympics from your livingroom back at home in the US.... as the USOC will have the final say as to who gets to represent the US at the Olympics... and not even the USFSA organization will be able to help/bail you out there.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    183
    While honestly is no doubt a virtue, I sometimes feel tact and diplomacy are so under-rated these days...

  10. #25
    Sal-Kowabunga!
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

    MM
    MM, this is a prime example of a place where "reputation points" would be nice to have, just so I could give you some! I too love the image!!!!

  11. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    I got issues
    Posts
    680
    I guess if skating was followed only my mature adults, his comments wouldn't bother me. But there are so many youngsters involved in skating, and he really needs to watch what he says.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    876
    Johnny is sometimes witty (Disneyland comment to Peter) and sometimes a bit nitwity but what he says is harmless. Kids are a lot more aware of drugs and drug references than one might think. And If the kids don't get it then it is up to the parents to explain the attempt at humor as it is when any reference to drugs sex, etc., is made on the telly as it is countless times each week. Please, it's not as though he tore off the top of Sasha's costume exposing her breast.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Dear Johnny,

    This issue has NOTHING to do with sensorship - it's about being a responsible and respectful person = good sportsmanship.

    Note: I have one counsel to Johnny and anyone else, and that is to "BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU SAY!"

    Also, here'a another analogy Dear Johnny... You wouldn't respectfully tell someone to go f*%$k themselves on TV either - no matter how upset you are with the person...or would YOU???? 'Cause if you think that is and what said appropriate, then you and Bode Miller (skier) should be watching the Olympics from your livingroom back at home in the US.... as the USOC will have the final say as to who gets to represent the US at the Olympics... and not even the USFSA organization will be able to help/bail you out there.

    Freedom of speech!! Talking about drugs and using drugs are two different things! What rules did her break? Did he fail the doping test?

  14. #29
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    May not be the whack heard around the world but it has FS in the news. I have to admit his "Unchained Melody" costume does remind me of a Care Bear on acid...specifically Tenderheart Bear


    And here is just "Johnny Bare"

    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...y_Weir_Skater/

  15. #30
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

    MM
    Seriously, though, Johnny Weir really does need to put a lid on his mouth at times. Any references to drug use are completely inappropriate, plain and simple. There is absolutely nothing humorous about drug usage, etc. Figure skating has had enough problems with "damage control", thanks to the Nancy Kerrigan attack and Tonya Harding's involvement, judging scandals through the decades, etc. I don't expect champion figure skaters to be perfect little angels or little "goody-two-skates", but for Heaven's sakes, they should use some common sense and good taste when they speak with the press.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •