Johnny gets a talking to from the USFSA | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny gets a talking to from the USFSA

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

MM :)

You are too funny!!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
K-Mo said:
Myabe his exhibition song should be Weezer's "We are All on Drugs."

How about "Don't Like The Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)" by (I think tho I'm not totally sure) Nine Inch Nails?? :biggrin:

And mathman, that was just TOO damn funny.... :laugh: :laugh:

Coach

Rinkside
Dear Johnny,

This issue has NOTHING to do with sensorship - it's about being a responsible and respectful person = good sportsmanship.

Note: I have one counsel to Johnny and anyone else, and that is to "BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU SAY!"

Also, here'a another analogy Dear Johnny... You wouldn't respectfully tell someone to go f*%$k themselves on TV either - no matter how upset you are with the person...or would YOU???? 'Cause if you think that is and what said appropriate, then you and Bode Miller (skier) should be watching the Olympics from your livingroom back at home in the US.... as the USOC will have the final say as to who gets to represent the US at the Olympics... and not even the USFSA organization will be able to help/bail you out there.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
While honestly is no doubt a virtue, I sometimes feel tact and diplomacy are so under-rated these days... :eek:hwell:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Mathman said:
When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

MM, this is a prime example of a place where "reputation points" would be nice to have, just so I could give you some! I too love the image!!!! :bow:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I guess if skating was followed only my mature adults, his comments wouldn't bother me. But there are so many youngsters involved in skating, and he really needs to watch what he says.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny is sometimes witty (Disneyland comment to Peter) and sometimes a bit nitwity but what he says is harmless. Kids are a lot more aware of drugs and drug references than one might think. And If the kids don't get it then it is up to the parents to explain the attempt at humor as it is when any reference to drugs sex, etc., is made on the telly as it is countless times each week. Please, it's not as though he tore off the top of Sasha's costume exposing her breast. ;)

millie

Medalist
Coach said:
Dear Johnny,

This issue has NOTHING to do with sensorship - it's about being a responsible and respectful person = good sportsmanship.

Note: I have one counsel to Johnny and anyone else, and that is to "BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU SAY!"

Also, here'a another analogy Dear Johnny... You wouldn't respectfully tell someone to go f*%$k themselves on TV either - no matter how upset you are with the person...or would YOU???? 'Cause if you think that is and what said appropriate, then you and Bode Miller (skier) should be watching the Olympics from your livingroom back at home in the US.... as the USOC will have the final say as to who gets to represent the US at the Olympics... and not even the USFSA organization will be able to help/bail you out there.

Freedom of speech!! Talking about drugs and using drugs are two different things! What rules did her break? Did he fail the doping test?

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:

:rofl: Seriously, though, Johnny Weir really does need to put a lid on his mouth at times. Any references to drug use are completely inappropriate, plain and simple. There is absolutely nothing humorous about drug usage, etc. Figure skating has had enough problems with "damage control", thanks to the Nancy Kerrigan attack and Tonya Harding's involvement, judging scandals through the decades, etc. I don't expect champion figure skaters to be perfect little angels or little "goody-two-skates", but for Heaven's sakes, they should use some common sense and good taste when they speak with the press.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Maybe the USFSA needs to talk to Johnny's mother as well. Did you see her turn her back to the camera when she saw that it was focused on her.. What was that all about??? Trying to make her own statement?:scratch:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think she did anything wrong. She didn't want to be on camera.

Dee

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Coach said:

How does your analogy work? Like at all? This situation is nothing like the Bode Miller thing or anything like Johnny hypothetically telling someone to go *bleep* themselves either.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Mathman said:

You are too much. Priceless, Just priceless.

but, I saw this coming big time. I am all for free speech & all. But, Johnny, needs to zip the lip every now & then. Just because he can say something. Doesn't mean that he can.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Sheggy said:
Bottom line - Johnny Weir needs to grow up already.

I can agree with that. He is a wonderful skater but, he needs to chill out. But, he is still very young & doesn't have true wisdom yet, that comes with age.. He is still rebelling, & it shows.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
Now if this was someone else, like say Michelle Kwan, I'd be REALLY upset, but as this is Johnny Weir, eh. God save the person who didn't see something like this coming! :laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
How old is Johnny now? IMO, there gets to be a point where people need to consider their listeners, as well as what they want to say. Furthermore, people like Johnny need to understand that exercising his right of free speech will necessarily have consequences, simply because other people -- such as sponsors who might otherwise have hired him, the people who boycott shows, etc., and/or the USFSA who might find themselves threatened by the sponsors, boycotters, etc. -- also have the right to free speech. If Johnny wants to make drug comparisons, he is free to do so -- that is his right to free speech. However, if I choose not to buy a product because Johnny is endorsing it, or if I am a sponsor and I choose not to have Johnny endorse my product, that is my right to free speech.

S

SkateFan4Life

Rgirl said:
Maybe there's a special reason for the twinkle in Ryan's eyes. JUST KIDDING! Drugs aren't funny, but I come from the era when they were--or at least we thought they were. For a while anyway, you sure can party hardy with them and I'd be a hippocrite if I said I regretted using the ones I did.

But I only played with coke at parties and with my boyfriend for a few months. When I woke up one morning feeling as if I'd been dragged several miles by a truck, I stopped. Too many others were not so lucky and got into serious problems, like prison, that ruined their health for many years and their careers permanently. Plus a lot of wonderful people lost a lot of wonderful years and sometimes their lives, especially if they graduated to smack.

But speak out, Johnny! I mean really, they were just analogies. Still, I can see the USFSA's position. A lot of kids look up to these skaters and aren't yet old enough to understand the difference between natural flamboyance and dangerous behavior.

And to Mathman: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rgirl

You were one of the lucky ones whose life wasn't cut short or ruined by use of recreational drugs. The news is filled with stories of young adults whose drug usage has made a wreckage of their lives. I'm not preaching a sermon, I'm just stating the truth.

Johnny Weir should be told, flat-out, to SHUT UP with these ridiculous references to drugs. He's not being cute or "with it" to refer to coke, etc.