Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: Johnny gets a talking to from the USFSA

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    443
    Maybe the USFSA needs to talk to Johnny's mother as well. Did you see her turn her back to the camera when she saw that it was focused on her.. What was that all about??? Trying to make her own statement?

  2. #32
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    maybe she was having a bad hair day?

  3. #33
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    oops

  4. #34
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,664
    I don't think she did anything wrong. She didn't want to be on camera.

    Dee

  5. #35
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach

    Also, here'a another analogy Dear Johnny... You wouldn't respectfully tell someone to go f*%$k themselves on TV either - no matter how upset you are with the person...or would YOU???? 'Cause if you think that is and what said appropriate, then you and Bode Miller (skier) should be watching the Olympics from your livingroom back at home in the US.... as the USOC will have the final say as to who gets to represent the US at the Olympics... and not even the USFSA organization will be able to help/bail you out there.
    How does your analogy work? Like at all? This situation is nothing like the Bode Miller thing or anything like Johnny hypothetically telling someone to go *bleep* themselves either.

  6. #36
    Alexei he's my MAN Panther2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    When they call Johnny on the carpet, I hope he is wearing his swan costume. That way, he can hold up his red glove and say, "talk to the beak."

    MM

    You are too much. Priceless, Just priceless.


    but, I saw this coming big time. I am all for free speech & all. But, Johnny, needs to zip the lip every now & then. Just because he can say something. Doesn't mean that he can.

  7. #37
    Alexei he's my MAN Panther2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheggy
    Bottom line - Johnny Weir needs to grow up already.

    I can agree with that. He is a wonderful skater but, he needs to chill out. But, he is still very young & doesn't have true wisdom yet, that comes with age.. He is still rebelling, & it shows.

  8. #38
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Richmond!
    Posts
    55
    Now if this was someone else, like say Michelle Kwan, I'd be REALLY upset, but as this is Johnny Weir, eh. God save the person who didn't see something like this coming!

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,051
    How old is Johnny now? IMO, there gets to be a point where people need to consider their listeners, as well as what they want to say. Furthermore, people like Johnny need to understand that exercising his right of free speech will necessarily have consequences, simply because other people -- such as sponsors who might otherwise have hired him, the people who boycott shows, etc., and/or the USFSA who might find themselves threatened by the sponsors, boycotters, etc. -- also have the right to free speech. If Johnny wants to make drug comparisons, he is free to do so -- that is his right to free speech. However, if I choose not to buy a product because Johnny is endorsing it, or if I am a sponsor and I choose not to have Johnny endorse my product, that is my right to free speech.

  10. #40
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    Maybe there's a special reason for the twinkle in Ryan's eyes. JUST KIDDING! Drugs aren't funny, but I come from the era when they were--or at least we thought they were. For a while anyway, you sure can party hardy with them and I'd be a hippocrite if I said I regretted using the ones I did.

    But I only played with coke at parties and with my boyfriend for a few months. When I woke up one morning feeling as if I'd been dragged several miles by a truck, I stopped. Too many others were not so lucky and got into serious problems, like prison, that ruined their health for many years and their careers permanently. Plus a lot of wonderful people lost a lot of wonderful years and sometimes their lives, especially if they graduated to smack.

    But speak out, Johnny! I mean really, they were just analogies. Still, I can see the USFSA's position. A lot of kids look up to these skaters and aren't yet old enough to understand the difference between natural flamboyance and dangerous behavior.

    And to Mathman:

    Rgirl
    You were one of the lucky ones whose life wasn't cut short or ruined by use of recreational drugs. The news is filled with stories of young adults whose drug usage has made a wreckage of their lives. I'm not preaching a sermon, I'm just stating the truth.

    Johnny Weir should be told, flat-out, to SHUT UP with these ridiculous references to drugs. He's not being cute or "with it" to refer to coke, etc.

  11. #41
    I should be studying!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    431
    One wonders if mild consequences are already beginning. There was not an interview with Johnny Weir on broadcast television after winning his third straight title. However, both Matt and Evan were interviewed about going to the Olympics.

  12. #42
    Custom Woman
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    No, my entire post reflects my opinion. One thing I didn't make clear. In my opinion (which I am entitled to, just like you are) I don't think Johnny's remarks rise to the level of consequences such as "a talking to from the USFSA." In my opinion, had he said something like "so and so skater is a cocaine user" or "I'm going to put a bomb in Evan's room to make sure I win" even as a joke, that would, in my opinion, rise to the level of consequences such as a 'talking to from the USFSA" as he would be making personal attacks / threats.

    I don't expect you to agree - I'm just clarifying my opinion.

    DG
    Even though I posted that Johnny should be aware of the effect of what he says may have on young skaters, I agree with you that his remarks did not rise to the level of a "talking to" by the USFSA. However, they are a conservative organization and they want their skaters saying conservative things.

    For example, even though I know most of the change in Sasha is probably due to maturation, personally, I miss the outspoken "I'm out there to win" Sasha. Who knows if she changed naturally or if perceived or real pressure from the USFSA change Sasha into just another "say the right thing" skater.

    I don't think Johnny's remarks have anything to do with not being "grown up." As Piel's link to that gorgeous photo of Johnny shows, at least IMO, Johnny is a naturally flamboyant young man, which some people read as immaturity. I disagree. Look at Little Richard, who is in his 60s or 70s. He's as flamboyant as ever. Other celebrities who speak their mind no matter their age include Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Whoopi Goldberg, Shirley Maclain, Angelina Jolie, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, George Clooney, and many others. And yes, they often get "in trouble" for speaking out about their views.

    It seemed to me that Johnny was just being himself. If he has no problem with the "consequences," then that's all that matters in this case. Maybe Johnny will watch what he says in the future, maybe he won't. But it's his life. I may disagree with his choices, but I want to clarify that I still mean "Free speech for Johnny."

    I'm with Doggy girl on this point.

    Rgirl

  13. #43
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    87
    Just because he's outspoken doesn't make him an intelligent person. His most recent statement reminds me of the old saying "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than it is to open it and remove all doubt."

  14. #44
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by equestrianguy
    Maybe the USFSA needs to talk to Johnny's mother as well. Did you see her turn her back to the camera when she saw that it was focused on her.. What was that all about??? Trying to make her own statement?
    Well -- actually -- and this ties in beautifully with the overall topic here, according to the paper this morning (San Diego Union), when Johnny was asked about making his first Oly team, his comment was "My mom is getting drunk already", so maybe THAT was the deal....

  15. #45
    Custom Title Ogre Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    493
    Johnny Weir reminds me a bit of both Freddie Mercury (of Queen) and Truman Capote -- flamboyant men involved in the arts who didn't flinch at saying outrageous things. Truthfully, I think Johnny is a scream. I actually find the "care bear on acid" comments less bothersome than some of the things he has said about other skaters. No care bear is going to sue you for slander. And if Johnny's comments make kids ask their parents what acid or coke is, that is a GOOD thing. Better they find out from their parents than their "friends" or people on the street.

    We all know what a diva Johnny is and I do wonder if on some level he is saying these things because he craves attention. Perhaps he has adopted a credo similar to what Andy Warhol said to novelist Tama Janowitz: "Don't pay attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." His comments certainly make for salty copy.

    As far as the free speech debate goes, he is clearly within his constitutional rights. It's not as though he is preaching hate against a class of people or yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater. Of course, it is also the right of the USFSA to promote other skaters more and companies to choose other athletes for endorsements if Johnny doesn't get with the program.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 01-15-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •