Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sr. Mens FS results

Custom Title
    I thought Buttle was wonderful. I definitely think his decision to change back to the Samson and Delilah LP was the right one. Yes, he had a few glitches - the most obvious being the fall on the quad - but he just made you totally forget about it with the overall quality of skating. Totally agreed with the judges that he deserved the win, much as I love Sandhu as well. Sandhu looked good in the long as well - hope it bodes well for his Olympic performance. Really enjoyed Sawyer, too and loved his reaction to his scores.

Custom Title
    Whoops! I don't know what I did above, but hopefully everybody gets my point.

Custom Title
    Buttle did not win the program based on the PCS, he won it on the technical mark. The protocol sheets are posted on the Skate Canada website and clearly show that. Buttle had a 10-point lead on Sandhu in the technical mark, versus only a 3 point lead on the PCS. Furthermore, he did not win it on the Grade of Execution marks that the judges give either, because the GOE marks for Emanuel and Jeff are pretty even (and mostly between 0 and about 0.7, where they can potentially go up to 3).

Emanuel clearly needs to go back and rework his program to get higher technical points. I would have to go through the protocol sheets in more detail to figure out what Emanuel needs to do. It is not the jumps - those were basically equal. Jeff had about 48 points from jumps, Emanuel about 47 points. It appears to me that it is the spins and footwork sequences that are holding him down.

He needs to do this not only because of Jeff, but because of what could happen next year. The technical points for Christopher Mabee and Kevin Reynolds were already 4 points higher than Emanuel this year, and Shawn Sawyer's points were basically equal to Emanuel. Both Chris and Shawn are skaters who are improving rapidly, and whose PCS points will likely go up next year. They could really start challenging Emanuel unless he can get those extra points from the spins and footwork. Even with lower PCS, Chris was less than 5 points behind Emanuel in the long program this year.

Custom Title
    I'm so excited for Shawn Sawyer. I hope he has the skate of his life in Turino.

I'm excited for Shawn Sawyer too, but I feel bad for Chris at the same time. I'm so glad jeff won, he really deserves it..especially the way Emanuel is a big cry baby and bashes Jeff to make himself feel better...

Go NJ Devils
    Considering that Buttle was caught on camera right after his LP mouthing the "f" word, I don't think he was too happy with his skate.

Mabee's SP was such a shame, because his LP was fantastic, and his quali round score suggested it was great there too, and I think it was undermarked in PCS as it was. The top seven Canadian Men are really fantastic all-around skaters. A bit more consistency on the jumps, and it will be a heartbreaking Nationals in 2010, when the Olympic team is chosen, because over half of them, plus some up-and-coming kids, will be left off the team.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE][/Considering that Buttle was caught on camera right after his LP mouthing the "f" word, I don't think he was too happy with his skate.
    QUOTE]

Rod Black immediately said that Jeff said "good fight" after his skate, and if you listen closely you can definitely catch the 'fight' part. Jeff is still a good boy

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    Considering that Buttle was caught on camera right after his LP mouthing the "f" word, I don't think he was too happy with his skate.

Mabee's SP was such a shame, because his LP was fantastic, and his quali round score suggested it was great there too, and I think it was undermarked in PCS as it was. The top seven Canadian Men are really fantastic all-around skaters. A bit more consistency on the jumps, and it will be a heartbreaking Nationals in 2010, when the Olympic team is chosen, because over half of them, plus some up-and-coming kids, will be left off the team.
    I agree! But Chris is young, hopefully he'll make the 2010 team, and like you said, that Nationals is going to be a crazy one!

And thanks for letting us know thats what he really said Shmuzzy. When I thought I saw him say the 'f' word, he didn't seem too upset about his skate so I was thinking maybe he said it out of relief/madness. It didn't seem like Jeff to curse so obviously and right in the camera anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2