Sr. Mens FS results | Golden Skate

Sr. Mens FS results

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
134 for Mabee, wow Sawyer could be in trouble. In a way I would feel bad for Mabee if he didnt make it because of the short program again. 134 at Canadians is very impressive, since our judges are not giving out TES and PCS scores like candy like they are U.S Nationals where you have to do nothing to get huge scores. :laugh:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Whoaaa. That was a CLOSE ONE. Well it didn't end up being that close, but I really wasn't sure who was going to get the title after Jeff's skate. Good skates by both men. Let's up it only gets bigger and better at the Olympics.

Jasper

Final Flight
Congrats Jeffrey! It seems like it was his best Free Skate of the year based on the score, or perhaps that's because Nationals scores are often inflated. Did he go for the quad and what was the result?!

I'm going to have to watch this program... is there anywhere to download it?

Awww yay, I'm so happy! Buttle the Canadian Champ for two consecutive years. Sandhu can have Skate Canada, Jeffrey will take this one instead. ;)

CDMM1991

Medalist
Both Sandhu and Buttle went for the quad. Sandhu fell out of it, but still did a double toe on the end. Buttle fell, but it was counted as rotated. Sandhu singled a triple axel and Buttle doubled a triple loop. Sandhu's other triple axel wasn't in combination, and one of Buttle's had a bit of a rough landing, but the other was in combination.

Fairly even performances IMO. Buttle won it on the PCS.

Jasper

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:
134 for Mabee, wow Sawyer could be in trouble. In a way I would feel bad for Mabee if he didnt make it because of the short program again. 134 at Canadians is very impressive, since our judges are not giving out TES and PCS scores like candy like they are U.S Nationals where you have to do nothing to get huge scores. :laugh:

So true about US Nationals scores.

Jasper

Final Flight
CDMM1991 said:
Both Sandhu and Buttle went for the quad. Sandhu fell out of it, but still did a double toe on the end. Buttle fell, but it was counted as rotated. Sandhu singled a triple axel and Buttle doubled a triple loop. Sandhu's other triple axel wasn't in combination, and one of Buttle's had a bit of a rough landing, but the other was in combination.

Fairly even performances IMO. Buttle won it on the PCS.

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like an intense competition. I just hope Buttle opts not to do the quad at the Olympics because he's been falling even after completing the rotations. Too much of a risk for him.

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Jasper said:
Thanks for the explaination, sounds like an intense competition. I just hope Buttle opts not to do the quad at the Olympics because he's been falling even after completing the rotations. Too much of a risk for him.

I agree. I think the judges were lenient in saying that he rotated it today. I'm not sure if tougher, international judges would have given that to him. Falling on technically a triple toe would be devastating to his Olympic score. If he can get a +1 on the GOE of a triple then it is almost equal to a fallen quad I believe.

screech

Final Flight
geisha said:
Buttle's championship is also not deserved. Look at the American championships, their judges are much better, much more objective.
Jeff's was deserved. No, he wasn't perfect, and yes, his and Emanuel's scores should have been closer, but to say he didn't deserve to win is unfounded IMO. He did 2 clean triple axels, one in combination, a triple triple combo, another 3-jump combo... rotated a quad, didn't pop his jump into a single (so gets more poitns than Emanuel's single axel), his spins were better tonight, and he has such a pure quality to his skating that really helps his second mark. I don't know what you were watching, but it probably wasn't CTV at about 8:40est tonight.

CDMM1991

Medalist
CDMM1991 said:
I agree. I think the judges were lenient in saying that he rotated it today. I'm not sure if tougher, international judges would have given that to him. Falling on technically a triple toe would be devastating to his Olympic score. If he can get a +1 on the GOE of a triple then it is almost equal to a fallen quad I believe.

Yes, I looked it up, and with a +1 GOE there is only a one point difference between the fall on the quad and the triple toe. IT would be equalled with a +2 GOE.

Jasper

Final Flight
CDMM1991 said:
Yes, I looked it up, and with a +1 GOE there is only a one point difference between the fall on the quad and the triple toe. IT would be equalled with a +2 GOE.

Good point, then. Perhaps after all of these failed quad attempts this season by Buttle, he will play it smart and take it out of his program at the Olympics. I certainly hope his coaches are advising him to do so. He can rely on all the other aspects of his skating to make the podium, although perhaps not win the Gold, and I think his entire program would be better served if he didn't focus so much on one jump.

Jasper

Final Flight
geisha said:
I just don't see any potential of this pair-Valerie Marcoux and Craig Buntin. They made so many mistakes and the stupid Canadian judges kept on rewarding them. They had a disastrous world champ. last year as well.

They're a very mediocre pair, no difficult technical merits, no originality, no artistriy. I just don't understand. They would probably rank around 16-24th at world stage.

Buttle's championship is also not deserved. Look at the American championships, their judges are much better, much more objective.

You're ridiculous if you think the American judges are objective. 83 points for Johnny's SP without a quad?! 59 for Emily Hughes in the SP (consider that Sasha Cohen got about the same score for her great SP in GP Paris earlier this season)?! PCS of 78-79 for Johnny, Matt, and Evan in their LPs?! Craziness. All the men's and women's scores have been bloated so far to an embarassing degree.

Saundy

On the Ice
geisha said:
I just don't see any potential of this pair-Valerie Marcoux and Craig Buntin. They made so many mistakes and the stupid Canadian judges kept on rewarding them. They had a disastrous world champ. last year as well.

They're a very mediocre pair, no difficult technical merits, no originality, no artistriy. I just don't understand. They would probably rank around 16-24th at world stage.

Hello! M&B HAVE ALREADY placed in the top 10 at worlds. 16-24th?! :laugh: I don't think so...
This just wasn't their night and same goes for Jeff Buttle. I'm sure they'll kick butt at the Olys and Worlds.

As for Canadian judges being "stupid"...I think that's being a little harsh...

Last edited:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
HTML:
It seems like it was his best Free Skate of the year based on the score, or perhaps that's because Nationals scores are often inflated. Did he go for the quad and what was the result?!

No, I don't think it was his best Free Skate of the year.:disapp: He didn't look overly happy when he finished skating. I think he knew it was good enough to win, but wanted to see the marks before thinking he had National title #2. I watched his quad and both his triple axels in slo-mo, and the quad was under rotated by nearly a half turn. His first triple axel was also cheated. So, as much as I love Jeff, it wasn't his best night and his marks were definitely inflated in my opinion. He was better than Sandhu, but not by 20 points. As mentioned earlier, I hope he takes out the quad for the Olympics.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought Buttle was wonderful. I definitely think his decision to change back to the Samson and Delilah LP was the right one. Yes, he had a few glitches - the most obvious being the fall on the quad - but he just made you totally forget about it with the overall quality of skating. Totally agreed with the judges that he deserved the win, much as I love Sandhu as well. Sandhu looked good in the long as well - hope it bodes well for his Olympic performance. Really enjoyed Sawyer, too and loved his reaction to his scores.

geoskate

On the Ice
Buttle did not win the program based on the PCS, he won it on the technical mark. The protocol sheets are posted on the Skate Canada website and clearly show that. Buttle had a 10-point lead on Sandhu in the technical mark, versus only a 3 point lead on the PCS. Furthermore, he did not win it on the Grade of Execution marks that the judges give either, because the GOE marks for Emanuel and Jeff are pretty even (and mostly between 0 and about 0.7, where they can potentially go up to 3).

Emanuel clearly needs to go back and rework his program to get higher technical points. I would have to go through the protocol sheets in more detail to figure out what Emanuel needs to do. It is not the jumps - those were basically equal. Jeff had about 48 points from jumps, Emanuel about 47 points. It appears to me that it is the spins and footwork sequences that are holding him down.

He needs to do this not only because of Jeff, but because of what could happen next year. The technical points for Christopher Mabee and Kevin Reynolds were already 4 points higher than Emanuel this year, and Shawn Sawyer's points were basically equal to Emanuel. Both Chris and Shawn are skaters who are improving rapidly, and whose PCS points will likely go up next year. They could really start challenging Emanuel unless he can get those extra points from the spins and footwork. Even with lower PCS, Chris was less than 5 points behind Emanuel in the long program this year.

ceg15

On the Ice
I'm excited for Shawn Sawyer too, but I feel bad for Chris at the same time. I'm so glad jeff won, he really deserves it..especially the way Emanuel is a big cry baby and bashes Jeff to make himself feel better...