U.S. Nationals Ladies FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals Ladies FS

Congrats to Sasha for her first Nationals gold. It was a cautious skate and probably slow (hard to tell on TV), but understandable considering she hadn't had a full runthrough of her LP in since getting the flu. Plus it looked as if she may have cut back on some things, eg, she didn't do her Russian split at the beginning of the circular footwork but an easier stag jump. But maybe that was a choreographic change. I love the new choreography and music cuts. The program both flows much better and is more interesting. David Wilson was definitely a good move. Even though sick and lacking spark, IMO, Sasha's training and experience carried her through except for the step-out/hand down on the 3toe at the end, which is when her endurance would be at its lowest, as it was with Kimmie.

Sasha's spins have started getting their speed back and I think they will continue to improve as the season progresses. BTW, thanks to those who answered my question about why her spins had gotten slow and ITA that it was due to trying new positions. Overall, the core of Sasha's skating has improved so much since '02, IMO. She used to be all highlight moves. Now there's real substance between the spirals and choreography. I also find Sasha very musical and thought she was in both her short and long programs.

Now she needs to increase her speed, still get down into her knees more, convey her natural personality through her skating, connect more with the audience, and manage her concentration, technique, or whatever it is on what was supposed to be a jump sequence before her final jump. Scores at Nationals are always inflated, so I'd knock off about 10-15 points from both her SP and LP total. But I'd do that for everybody in every discipline. Dick Button only talked about Sasha relative to Irina, but there are a fair number of other skaters that can beat Sasha, such as Suguri, Shizuka, Kostner (on a good night), and Michelle, provided she's healthy and goes. Plus there will probably be a surprise skater.

Tonight Kimmie skated the way that impressed me when I saw her live at COI. As I've said before, I was surprised at how much presence Kimmie had when I saw her live, which I hadn't seen come across on TV. I'm not crazy about her LP, but it looks as if they've made improvements to the choreography.

Add me to the list of Stephanie Rosenthal fans, though I wasn't surprised at her strong dance and performance qualities. You wouldn't think it, but Mormons are really big on the arts--as long as they're "nice" arts. So all the Salt Lake and even small town high schools have great dance programs, and the figure skating coaches make use of all the high calibre dance training and choreography in SLC.

Of course, you can have all the dance training in the world and still be dull as a doorknob as a performer. But combine good training with the kind of effervescent personality Stephanie has and you just want to grab every skater who doesn't understand why they have to take "boring old dance classes," make them look at Stephanie, and say, "That's why!"

I think she should go straight on to Stanford because I don't think she has the body to be competitive as an elite figure skater, but I hope she keeps skating because she so clearly enjoys it. I can also see her becoming a coach or choreographer, someone who can help bring out the joy of skating in her students. I don't know, but my guess is that her family has instilled a sense of balance in Stephanie and that as hard as her studies may be at Stanford, she'll be sure to make time to skate, and perhaps compete at the college level. But she was definitely the "sheer joy of skating" highlight and also showed the importance of knowing how to move in skating.

I'm hoping by the time I finish writing this post they will have announced the Olympic team. As someone said, somebody's heart is going to be broken. Now it's just a matter of whose. And things could still change after that! As if Olympic seasons aren't stressful enough.

Rgirl

donnar0226

Rinkside
CDMM1991 said:
We have to take that record breaking with A FEW grains of salt because it is at a national championship, with extremely inflated scores. Similar to Joannie Rochette last year at Canadians breaking the season record for the free program.

Probably more of a 'take that' from American judges for the outlandish pCS on Irina--even when she is flawed. i don't think anyone truly believes it's the "best" program of the season--however, I think the championship and the point total will play in the mind of international judges and help at Olympics.

That said--given she skated this well after coming off an illness--she most be very well trained--and hopefully the Olympics will be her time! It's in there--that perfect program with "spark" as Peggy says!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
my heart broke for bebe... and alissa must be so disappointed, especially after hearing about all the hype about herself before hand. i thought sasha was great, even though i know she can skate with much more power. her performance (a lot due to the choreography and music) gave me goose bumps. and kimmie's jumps were great... i was sad to see her fall on her last jump, the double axel... but i'm sure she is just psyched to make the olympic team. with some improved transitions and spirals, etc. she could be really great.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Still got five skaters to go here on the west coast. Out here, they didn't even show Danielle Kahle's performance...must've been a major meltdown there or something.

nubka

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Add me to the list of Stephanie Rosenthal fans, though I wasn't surprised at her strong dance and performance qualities. You wouldn't think it, but Mormons are really big on the arts--as long as they're "nice" arts. So all the Salt Lake and even small town high schools have great dance programs, and the figure skating coaches make use of all the high calibre dance training and choreography in SLC. Rgirl

I'm a Mormon, and I even live in Utah...what, exactly, are "nice arts??" Hee, hee, hee...just curious! I honestly have no idea whether or not Rosenthal is a Mormon, though (but she was on the local news tonight - cool!).

Are you from Utah, too?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Stephanie Rosenthal

Just because of all the Stephanie gushing, I have to mention it again (I posted under the the more specific Stephanie's short program thread).

I was standing outside in the hallway when a running somewhere Randy Gardner stopped when he saw Stephanie, introduced himself, shook her hand and went on to gush about both of her skates. How cool is that???

LBC

On the Ice
nubka said:
I'm a Mormon, and I even live in Utah...what, exactly, are "nice arts??" Hee, hee, hee...just curious! I honestly have no idea whether or not Rosenthal is a Mormon, though (but she was on the local news tonight - cool!).

Are you from Utah, too?

She's not Mormon with the name of Rosenthal. That is Jewish. Of course that doesn't mean she is religiously Jewish though.

nubka said:

Are you from Utah, too?
Hey, Nubka,
I just lived in SLC for 11 years (I danced with RDT). I'm originally from Phoenix and I'm not only not a Mormon, I'm a full blown atheist. Try living in "Marmon" country for 11 years as that.

And you know dang well what nice arts are in Utah, you devil.:) Anything that doesn't show any naughty parts, people doing naughty things, or implying that people might be doing naughty things.

As for Stephanie Rosenthal, with that last name my bet would be that she's not a Mormon, but stranger things have happened.

So Nubka, what's your favorite Jell-O recipe?:biggrin:

Rgirl

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
As for Stephanie Rosenthal, with that last name my bet would be that she's not a Mormon, but stranger things have happened.

So Nubka, what's your favorite Jell-O recipe?:biggrin:

Rgirl
:laugh: :laugh:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Congrats to Sasha! So far her program is going in the right direction. Hopefully she can find that extra something before Torino.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Disappointing showings for Alissa, Beatrisa, and Emily, although Emily was fairly strong other than that nasty fall.

Kimmie did really well and earned that second place (I was secretly going for someone else to get that spot, though). I wasn't quite expecting her to fall on that last jump, though- that was really too bad. Not that it would have made a difference in the results, though- Cohen was SO far ahead at that point. SC- held her own, surprisingly. I had lower expectations given that she was ill. I really thought she would mess up somewhere, maybe fall or stumble, and I turned out to be half-right. But I thought she did respectably well given the circumstances. Definitely, I agree with her- if she can do this when she's ill, then her fans can get their hopes up for Torino. So, finally- a new National champ- but we all knew that was going to happen the moment MK pulled out, though :laugh: (Not SC winning, BTW- just MK NOT winning :biggrin: )

nubka

Final Flight
Just any flavor of Jello is fine with me, as long as it doesn't have fruit (or carrots) in it - yuck !! There has to be LOTS of whipped creme on top, though...

About the name Rosenthal, my first thought also was that it's a jewish name, but you never know around these parts...

Does lap dancing count as a naughty art? Just kidding!!

Hey, that's pretty cool about dancing with RDT. I've seen Ballet West many times, and I love that fact that they have so much Balanchine in their rep!

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I had to tape it since I went out earlier so I'm watching it now. I absolutely love Stephanie Rosenthal's program. I've always wondered how a singles skater would use this music. Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but you may remember this music if you're a fan of the Duschenays. They used the second and third pieces for their Missing program from 1990 Worlds, which was choreographed by Christopher Dean. Can you imagine if Stephanie did all the triples? I'm so glad ABC showed her performance!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

JaeJ

Rinkside
Just adding my two cents about Stephanie Rosenthal -- I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED her performances! Original, creative, and artistic -- I hope to see more of her on the competitive circuit.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Those of us without cable were unable to see Stephanie Rosenthal's short in its entirety, but from the snippets they showed on the ABC primetime broadcast, I think it easily would have been my favorite Ladies performance of this Nationals. I liked her long program -- this is a very stylish lady.

Sasha skated very well. Kimmie has matured quite a bit in the last season and skated well, too. Rosenthal was very enjoyable. Bebe and Alissa had some nice moments in between the errors.

Other than that, I found most of the performances rather dull, even if (as in the case of Hughes and Taylor) they were skated well. However, I do feel that Amber Corwin got slightly (maybe more than slightly) shafted, IMHO. Yes, the program was a bit odd, due in no small part to using rather strange music that doesn't really lend itself to skating -- BUT she skated it basically clean, had pretty good content, and I give her credit that despite the weird music, I felt that she actually made the program work. I feel her score should have been higher. But I suppose a statement was being made. With Sasha, they inflated her scores to give her a good sendoff to Torino; with Amber, I think they deflated them a bit in order to tell her it's time to retire now.

nubka said:
Just any flavor of Jello is fine with me, as long as it doesn't have fruit (or carrots) in it - yuck !! There has to be LOTS of whipped creme on top, though...

About the name Rosenthal, my first thought also was that it's a jewish name, but you never know around these parts...

Does lap dancing count as a naughty art? Just kidding!!

Hey, that's pretty cool about dancing with RDT. I've seen Ballet West many times, and I love that fact that they have so much Balanchine in their rep!
Are you sure you're Mormon, or more accurately, LDS (short for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)? I mean, a Mormon who doesn't like fruit in her(?) Jell-O sounds suspicious to me.;)

Good for you for taking advantage of and often seeing the good regional ballet company SLC has in Ballet West. Any opportunity to see Balanchine choreography done live by a good company is great.

As for RDT, I danced with them from the mid '70s to the mid '80s. I also choreographed a lot, including programs for four junior skaters and two seniors. Although my dance background helped, choreographing for skating requires a whole different set if skills. I spent a lot of time choreographing skating programs on myself, with my single and double jumps, as well as working with a student in the ballet department who skated much more seriously than I ever did.

Little anecdote: The ballet student who skated got no end of grief from her ballet instructors for skating, especially one instructor. She was quite old, about four feet tall, and would do things such as grab a student out of the shower stark naked and virtually throw her on the scale.

Anyway, whenever the skating student, Shirley, had been skating over the weekend, or even when she hadn't, this particular instructor would grab her thighs, dig her nails in, shake it, and yell, "YOU'VE BEEN FIGURE SKATING AGAIN! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU IT WILL RUIN YOUR DANCING!"

Shirley kept skating. And she kept dancing--and very well, thank you.:)

BTW, at RDT nobody ever noticed anything different about my thighs after I'd been skating. I found it strengthened my ankles, calves, quads, gluteals, my back, my abdomenals, and my arms, which is just about every muscle. The term crosstraining wasn't in our vocabulary, but I think skating was a good one for dance as long as I didn't fall too much. So I skated pretty conservatively. But I wasn't competing.

One last thing: I don't know if this is still true, but certainly in the '70s and '80s, Utah had more dancers per capita than New York. The University of Utah was considered the best university dance program in the country and their were also excellent dance programs at Utah State and Brigham Young University.

I also saw the 1984 Nationals/Olympic trials in SLC, which was quite an exciting experience. But just to show the difference in interest in figure skating since back then, even for the ladies finals, the Salt Palace arena (no longer there) was only about a third full. For me the most exciting event was the men's and seeing Scott Hamilton skate at his peak.

Nice to meet a sort of fellow Ute, Nubka.:)

Rgirl

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
So, finally- a new National champ- but we all knew that was going to happen the moment MK pulled out, though :laugh: (Not SC winning, BTW- just MK NOT winning :biggrin: )
If Michelle skated like she did at Marshalls, I am not so sure about that.

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The more I see Sasha skate and continue to have the same issues with her jump consistency, the more I'm thinking that she would make a magnificent ice dancer.......with her musicality and her flexibility, she would be amazing.....42

S

SkateFan4Life

The right choices were made for the US Olympic figure skating team.

Kwan, Cohen, Meissner -- you go, girls!!! :clap: