U.S. Nationals Ladies FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals Ladies FS

millie

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
The right choices were made for the US Olympic figure skating team.

Kwan, Cohen, Meissner -- you go, girls!!! :clap:

Hey you got it wrong it was COHEN, MEISSNER and kwan. Just kidding

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
Hey you got it wrong it was COHEN, MEISSNER and kwan. Just kidding

Don't you people know your ABC's. It's Cohen, Kwan, and Meissner.:p

kyla2

Final Flight
Thoughts

I enjoyed Sasha's and Kimmie's skates but frankly, I think the competitive juices weren't where they would have been if Michelle had skated. She raises everyone's level of perfromance when she competes. I am glad she made the team and I hope she can do herself and reputation justice. Matt Savoie was wonderful and the highlight for me, both in his SP and LP. Johnnie was great but his program is lackluster.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Ladies

Sasha Cohen. Her performances were cautious and lacking speed, but it was more than enough for her first U.S. title. There was no comparison between Sasha and the other ladies; her spiral sequence in particular made everyone else look like junior skaters. The Romeo & Juliet LP is a great choreographic work and a strong vehicle for her Olympic effort. The pieces are in place for her to deliver, now the question is -- will she?

Kimberly Meissner. Some say they don't see what's so special about her, but I do. Her greatest asset is that her fundamental technique is rock solid. Artistically she made strides this year although she is nowhere close to Kwan or Cohen. Her spiral sequence needs help. Like Sasha, she was battling an illness at this event and still pulled off strong performances. I am a little concerned that she is trying too hard to copy Michelle's Salome reinvention. Kimmie needs to find her own style and certainly has the talent to do so.

Emily Hughes. Some have compared Emily to Irina Slutskaya and I think the comparison is accurate. Unfortunately, what she reminds me of is Irina prior to her 2000 reinvention, a period during which I found her skating unimpressive. But Emily seems like a fighter and I could see her developing into the impressive technician and fierce competitor Slutskaya eventually became.

Katy Taylor. Maybe it is just me, but I still don't see it. I did like her Princess Diaries LP, though. I think she will be the next Jenny Kirk.

Bebe Liang. Choreographically, I thought Bebe's programs rivaled Sasha's. Bebe is a unique creation -- a powerful, stocky build with a finely tuned sense of music. Or to put it another way, a Midori Ito body with a Michelle Kwan soul. It is this apparent dichotomy which I think makes her a compelling skater and she shows a maturity lacking in most of her contemporaries (Meissner, Hughes, Taylor). Unfortunately, she is also extremely inconsistent.

Alissa Czisny. If Emily Hughes is the next Slutskaya, I think Alissa is the next Cohen. So much about Alissa reminds me of Sasha. She is a beautiful young woman with great spins, wonderful positions and an innate presence on the ice. Alissa's total inconsistency on the jumps also reminds me of the Sasha of 3 or 4 years ago. I hope she doesn't give up on her skating, in spite of her meltdown here, because she definitely has that "IT" factor. If she can improve her jump technique and competitive nerves she will be a marvel.

Last edited: