Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: U.S. Nationals Ladies FS

Custom Woman
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka
    Just any flavor of Jello is fine with me, as long as it doesn't have fruit (or carrots) in it - yuck !! There has to be LOTS of whipped creme on top, though...

About the name Rosenthal, my first thought also was that it's a jewish name, but you never know around these parts...

Does lap dancing count as a naughty art? Just kidding!!

Hey, that's pretty cool about dancing with RDT. I've seen Ballet West many times, and I love that fact that they have so much Balanchine in their rep!
    Are you sure you're Mormon, or more accurately, LDS (short for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)? I mean, a Mormon who doesn't like fruit in her(?) Jell-O sounds suspicious to me.

Good for you for taking advantage of and often seeing the good regional ballet company SLC has in Ballet West. Any opportunity to see Balanchine choreography done live by a good company is great.

As for RDT, I danced with them from the mid '70s to the mid '80s. I also choreographed a lot, including programs for four junior skaters and two seniors. Although my dance background helped, choreographing for skating requires a whole different set if skills. I spent a lot of time choreographing skating programs on myself, with my single and double jumps, as well as working with a student in the ballet department who skated much more seriously than I ever did.

Little anecdote: The ballet student who skated got no end of grief from her ballet instructors for skating, especially one instructor. She was quite old, about four feet tall, and would do things such as grab a student out of the shower stark naked and virtually throw her on the scale.

Anyway, whenever the skating student, Shirley, had been skating over the weekend, or even when she hadn't, this particular instructor would grab her thighs, dig her nails in, shake it, and yell, "YOU'VE BEEN FIGURE SKATING AGAIN! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU IT WILL RUIN YOUR DANCING!"

Shirley kept skating. And she kept dancing--and very well, thank you.

BTW, at RDT nobody ever noticed anything different about my thighs after I'd been skating. I found it strengthened my ankles, calves, quads, gluteals, my back, my abdomenals, and my arms, which is just about every muscle. The term crosstraining wasn't in our vocabulary, but I think skating was a good one for dance as long as I didn't fall too much. So I skated pretty conservatively. But I wasn't competing.

One last thing: I don't know if this is still true, but certainly in the '70s and '80s, Utah had more dancers per capita than New York. The University of Utah was considered the best university dance program in the country and their were also excellent dance programs at Utah State and Brigham Young University.

I also saw the 1984 Nationals/Olympic trials in SLC, which was quite an exciting experience. But just to show the difference in interest in figure skating since back then, even for the ladies finals, the Salt Palace arena (no longer there) was only about a third full. For me the most exciting event was the men's and seeing Scott Hamilton skate at his peak.

Nice to meet a sort of fellow Ute, Nubka.

Rgirl

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    So, finally- a new National champ- but we all knew that was going to happen the moment MK pulled out, though (Not SC winning, BTW- just MK NOT winning )
    If Michelle skated like she did at Marshalls, I am not so sure about that.

Dee

The more I see Sasha skate and continue to have the same issues with her jump consistency, the more I'm thinking that she would make a magnificent ice dancer.......with her musicality and her flexibility, she would be amazing.....42

SkateFan4Life
    The right choices were made for the US Olympic figure skating team.

Kwan, Cohen, Meissner -- you go, girls!!!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life

Ditto.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life

Hey you got it wrong it was COHEN, MEISSNER and kwan. Just kidding

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by millie

Quote Originally Posted by millie
    Don't you people know your ABC's. It's Cohen, Kwan, and Meissner.

Down With It
    Let's try this

It will be COHEN, kwan, and MEISSNER.

Custom Title

Thoughts

I enjoyed Sasha's and Kimmie's skates but frankly, I think the competitive juices weren't where they would have been if Michelle had skated. She raises everyone's level of perfromance when she competes. I am glad she made the team and I hope she can do herself and reputation justice. Matt Savoie was wonderful and the highlight for me, both in his SP and LP. Johnnie was great but his program is lackluster.

Ladies

Sasha Cohen. Her performances were cautious and lacking speed, but it was more than enough for her first U.S. title. There was no comparison between Sasha and the other ladies; her spiral sequence in particular made everyone else look like junior skaters. The Romeo & Juliet LP is a great choreographic work and a strong vehicle for her Olympic effort. The pieces are in place for her to deliver, now the question is -- will she?

Kimberly Meissner. Some say they don't see what's so special about her, but I do. Her greatest asset is that her fundamental technique is rock solid. Artistically she made strides this year although she is nowhere close to Kwan or Cohen. Her spiral sequence needs help. Like Sasha, she was battling an illness at this event and still pulled off strong performances. I am a little concerned that she is trying too hard to copy Michelle's Salome reinvention. Kimmie needs to find her own style and certainly has the talent to do so.

Emily Hughes. Some have compared Emily to Irina Slutskaya and I think the comparison is accurate. Unfortunately, what she reminds me of is Irina prior to her 2000 reinvention, a period during which I found her skating unimpressive. But Emily seems like a fighter and I could see her developing into the impressive technician and fierce competitor Slutskaya eventually became.

Katy Taylor. Maybe it is just me, but I still don't see it. I did like her Princess Diaries LP, though. I think she will be the next Jenny Kirk.

Bebe Liang. Choreographically, I thought Bebe's programs rivaled Sasha's. Bebe is a unique creation -- a powerful, stocky build with a finely tuned sense of music. Or to put it another way, a Midori Ito body with a Michelle Kwan soul. It is this apparent dichotomy which I think makes her a compelling skater and she shows a maturity lacking in most of her contemporaries (Meissner, Hughes, Taylor). Unfortunately, she is also extremely inconsistent.

Alissa Czisny. If Emily Hughes is the next Slutskaya, I think Alissa is the next Cohen. So much about Alissa reminds me of Sasha. She is a beautiful young woman with great spins, wonderful positions and an innate presence on the ice. Alissa's total inconsistency on the jumps also reminds me of the Sasha of 3 or 4 years ago. I hope she doesn't give up on her skating, in spite of her meltdown here, because she definitely has that "IT" factor. If she can improve her jump technique and competitive nerves she will be a marvel.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 01-15-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6