Canadians - Senior Pairs Free Report | Golden Skate

Canadians - Senior Pairs Free Report

Rosaleen

Medalist
The marks were announced and I now (sitting in my proper seat) can't see the board well enough to copy down the tec & tcs scores. I just get what is announced.

The following notes are what I saw while the skater was on the ice and have not been checked against the protocol for mistakes. I

This report is late because I would have missed the beginning of the men in order to get it posted right after the event (and I wasn't about to miss any of the men).

The official results & detailed skater's protocols are posted on the Skate Canada website
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns06/results/c10.pdf
overall results so far are here
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events...ults.cfm?strcat=Senior&strdisp=Pair&strlang=E

CAN Phillips / Willemse Start No: 1
Notes: mettallica / purple satin & black / 2tw low but clean / overhead lift with one hand & one hand set down / sbs 2a she hand down he fell turns 2t by her only / sbs cam out of sync back sit is in sync upright is out / music is fairly slow only seems to accent that they're fairly slow / thr 3l she stepped out / hip lift to star is quite well done / spirals are ok / bods - she doesn't get low enough / music is building a bit now - sbs 2a she is clean he bailed (far end of rink hard to see / step over head to star - he almost tripped after putting her down / sbs frtwrk is ok - / they have very little relation to the music and don't skate as a pair / thr 1a was quite nice good height & distance / another death spiral - not sure which - he used both hands to pull her up / pair spin is slow / finished ahead of their music / 29.88 from short 59.76 gr tot 89.64 currently 1st overall /
CAN Cosford / Richardson Start No: 2
Notes: her in turqoise him in shirt with turqoise at shoulders shading to beige then brown at waist / meditation from thais / 2tw is very nice good height & catch on hips with arms overhead / sbs 2a in sync bit part apart but clean / sbs 3t she fell he pitched forward on landing / foe overhead to one hand nice cartwheel setdown / S ftwrk had some very nice but also some rough moments / thr 3s pitched forward on landing - clean / fids 3rev / sbs flycam sit ch sit upright great sync until exit he came out a bit early - good speed on spin too / hip lift sideways star / spirals ar ok / hr 3t she hung on to the landing bit squeaky / step over head to one hand with one hand dismount / bods retty good pos & easy exit / pair spin nice pos & good speed throughout / for the most part they captured the mood of the music and carried you with them / 37.96 from short 81.97 gr tot 119.93 currently 1st overall /
CAN Purdy / Schumacher Start No: 3
Notes: music: fantasy for violin & orchestra on Porgy & bess her in black lace with red rose at hip him in black / another huge delay to pick up debris off the ice / side split spiral into bods that only has an ok pos & 1 rev / 2tw is very nice / sbs 3t think she hand down he fell turns 2t / hip lift to one hand star to reverse star cartwheel dismount / so far the music has seem really disjointed - not able to get into it at all / thr 3s fell / sbs 2f / step overhead to one hand sto star / sbs cam sit ch sit completely out of sync before change / sbs steps are with the music - 1st time I've really felt any relationship between them & the music / thr 2l / toe over to one hand to change hands - she has nice air pos - good extension in the legs / fids is very nice easy in and out / spirals are nice / pair spin opposing camels ch to trade sit then upright into closing pose / short 33.42 long 70.52 gr tot 103.94 currently 2nd overall /
CAN Cronin / Shales Start No: 4
Notes: music: the messiah will come again & rush / her in dark coral him in primarily coral geometric design shirt / good sultry opening moves / good 2tw catch on hips with arms overhead / thr 3l she pushed the landing through / step overhead to one hand / sbs 2z neither had a pretty landing not sure that hers would be called clean / pair spin is very nice - good speed / thr 3s again she purshed the landing through / toe overhead to bentleg star with slight different dismount / spiral are ok he appears to have better extension than her / back press lift to carry with change of curve / really good entrance to bids with change of pos / 2t 2f seq / sbs spin very good sync & nice pos / ftwrk is with the music & good / bods she fell and so did he - think she lost her edge and he fell when the she let go of his hand / short 43.72 long 85.40 gr tot 129.12 currently 1st overall /
CAN Putnam / Wirtz Start No: 5
Notes: piano concerto #1 tchailchovsky her in black & grey with white him in matching tux effect-very nice costumes - elegant / great opening with running on toepicks which I don't usually like, but it works with the music / 2tw is nice / lasso lift with very complex exit - beautifully done / sbs 3s hop 2t / sbs flycam sit with variation ch sit stop upright other direction - very effective - bit out of sync on 1st sit / bods is good - nice pos / they really have the expression of the music / sbs 3z she doubled not sure about him / thr 3l both hands down turnout / thr 3s is excellent / toe overhead to one ahnd one hand set down / dramtic music for str steps then calming at end - steps matched the music perfectly & they did them well / pair spin with changes with music - very nice if a bit slow / spirals are really held with a change from front to back in spiral pos - very good & unique / platter lift to carry / sbs spins to end the program / very nice program - I need to see it again to really appreciate it - this is the 1st time I've seen it and there's so much to try and write I didn't get time to enjoy it / short 47.94 long 105.45 gr tot 153.39 currently 1st overall /
CAN Miller / Moram Start No: 6
Notes: music: samson & delilah her in black with kelly green bands around her him in black with green at waist / nice movement to start sets the mood of the moody music / 2tw is high catch at hips with hands overhead / sbs 3t he really fought for it and I think stayed clean / thr 3s 2ft fall / music picks up now / lasso to one hand very good ice coverage 1 hand dismount / sbs 2a hop 2t perfect sync / pair spin trad sit to her in layover camel change opposing cam then her incatch foot / music slows and some emoting type chor / reverse toe overhead to one hand star with cartwheel dismount / bids very easy in and out / the 2 moves flowed from one to the other right into spirals that are phrased with the music / thr 2l - sure it was only 2 / sbs flycam sit ch sit upright think the sync was on all the way / ftwrk in perfet sync right with music / press lift - didn't see takeoff / fids 3rev I think into closing pose / short 48.14 long 97.78 gr tot 145.92 currently 2nd overall /
CAN Duhamel / Arnold Start No: 7
Notes: music: un homme & son peche both in purple her with silver around top of bodice / nested spirals are lovely right with music and positions match / 2tw with catch on hips & arms overhead / sbs 3z out of sync he turned out she was clean / lasso lift to star / thr 3f popped / sbs flycam sit in sync / fids from travelling entrance / hip lift to star one hand / sbs 3s hop 2a axel were out of sync but both clean / thr 3l bit forward on landing but clean / toe overhad to one hand / steps are with music & nicely done / bids travel entry change of pivot and jump out of it / pair spin with good pos & speed / short 51.08 long 100.70 gr tot 151.78 currently 2nd overall /

CAN Dube / Davison Start No: 8
Notes: music gershwin piano concerto both in black velvet with scattered crystals - hers is turtle neck in front with open back - simply gorgeous - so elegant / you could hear a pin drop as they got into pos & started / 2tw is good hip catch with arms overhead / sbs 2a turns 2a in perfect sync through out / lasso lift was good for 1st part but came down early but I'll be 1/2 the audience didn't realize it / thr 3s beautiful / sbs fly cam out of sync ofv cam but got back in for sit & upright / facing spirals with coe / then to nested into fan / sbs 3s pefect / travel entrace to fids very low lovely pos & 3rev I think / thr 3l very good / step overhead to one hand one hand dismount / bit of chor into low carry stag lift / strt steps to lively music very well done / hip lift right on beat of music to star to one hand carry to drop to stag dismount / nice entrance to bods / pair spin opposing camel to upright chg to trad sit to layback / GREAT SKATE just the one error on the 1st lift / short 55.52 long 112.28 gr tot 167.80 currently 1st overall /

CAN Wakamatsu / Fecteau Start No: 9
Notes: Music: ? Her in black semisheer with open back him in black vest & pants cream shirt / tango to star / great opening moves to set the tone / thr 3l maybe hands down he was blocking mefrom her / 2tw with catch on hips & arms overhead / sbs 3t out of sync & she had hands down not sure about him / sbs 2a are good / lasso to one hand cartwheel exit he moves so well under her on that lift / bids is very nice 3? Revs / pause for change of music & some chor / lasso again not sure of takeoff into carry with him in arabesque just lovely / thr 3s forward on landing but clean / spirals are very nice with facing shoot duck in middle / bids is pretty - now not sure what the 1st one was / pair spin is slow in middle section but sit is very good / music change again sbs flycam sit ch sit upright back sit - great sync throughout / diag steps in tango attitude / hip lift to upside down slipt / great skate too / short 54.62 long 105.03 gr tot 159.65 currently 2nd overall /
CAN Langlois / Hay Start No: 10
Notes: music: aranjeuz her in black lace him in dark red shirt with ruffle & black pants / lovely opening chor to very soft strains of music / thr 3l very nice / nice semi lift by neck / 2tw catch on hips & arms overhead / sbs 3t she fell / step overhead to one hand / back to back spread eagles into bids - don't like that hold because her bum is in the air / sbs spins are in sync & nice pos / sbs steps are in char & timed perfectly to music / sbs 2a she stepped out / thr 3s hands down / spiral to lasso lift to one hand flip out dismount / spirals are good - but not great / press lift to one hand star / spreadeagle into fids with change of hands / into pair spin / short 56.7 long 101. 66 gr tot 158.36 currently 3rd overall /
CAN Marcoux / Buntin Start No: 11
Notes: music: our song wearing turqoise with black & silver / bids lovely arch to her back multi rev - didn't count / music picks up 2tw is high with him putting arms to sides catch on hips & arms overhead / sbs 3t he bailed she good into 2t / hip lift to star to rever star both one handed / spreadeagle into thr 3l / music changes again / and some emoting chor at centre ice / spirals with coe very nice seq / sbs 2a he pitched forward both hands down / step overhead to one hand one hand set down / travel entrance to fids 3 or 4 rev / music picks up beat and crowd is clapping for sbs spins which I wasn't watching close enough to know if the sync was perfect / lasso lift to one hand platter with their trade mark exit / apir spin is very good - nice speed throughout / step seq as music is getting too fast to clap to in sync - nice seq in sync and with music / thr 3s hand down into closing pose / short 63.16 long 112.32 gr tot 175.48 currently 1st overall/

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, Marcoux and Buntin did not deserve to win the FS. Dube and Davison totally had the skate of the night. M/B had, I think, more speed, but the two major jump mistakes by him, coupled with her miss on the final throw and lack of synch in the spins - definitely should have left them below D/D.

Ticked that CTV did not show Putnam and Wirtz. I really wanted to see their Free program again. Just to add - the could have easily squeezed them in along with Christopher Mabee in the mens event if they hadn't covered the stupid warm-up of the final flight. I'd much rather see two more performaces CTV!

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Marcoux/Buntin have to do much better than this if they want to crack the top 5 in Turin. Dube/Davison will be in tough in Turin, but could sneak into top 10 with their best skate. The main thing is they are already so good so young, what great potential this wonderful team has! Making it to the Olympics at their age, wow!!! It is a bit sad they never go the Junior World gold, but they have a great future. I will be pulling for both pairs in Turin, good luck and skate your heart out. :clap:

geoskate

On the Ice
According to the protocols, Miller/Moram's first throw was a 4s, not a 3s. From reports, they had been practicing the throw 4s during the week and apparently landed some.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
rain said:
Yeah, Marcoux and Buntin did not deserve to win the FS. Dube and Davison totally had the skate of the night. M/B had, I think, more speed, but the two major jump mistakes by him, coupled with her miss on the final throw and lack of synch in the spins - definitely should have left them below D/D.

Ticked that CTV did not show Putnam and Wirtz. I really wanted to see their Free program again. Just to add - the could have easily squeezed them in along with Christopher Mabee in the mens event if they hadn't covered the stupid warm-up of the final flight. I'd much rather see two more performaces CTV!

I totally agree with your every word....

jayta

Rinkside
I think they didn't have the skate of the night (M/B) but i think they did deserve to win. I'm not a huge fan by far of these two, but they definitely had the difficulty in the technical portion of the Free skate. I think that is the biggest thing that saved them. They are more intricate in footwork and have more difficult lifts.

Dube/Davison were nearly perfect. I love them. Don't get me wrong. I think they are definitely the future of Pairs, though we do have some great competition for them to square up against. However, with the miss on the lift, as Rosleen mentioned, it came down awfully fast, and just a little less intricate transitions/footwork between elements, had M/B win.

But I think they definitely deserve to go to Turin. And I can't wait to watch! :clap:

chania36

On the Ice
I was there that afternoon of the long program in pairs and let me tell you, Putnam and Wirtz did skate a wonderful program, very very nice and touchy... I was upset when I came back home and saw that they did not show the whole performance on tv, because the VCR was on and I watched it after and they only showed some little of their long program, they even had a uge standing ovation, this was worth the showing on tv.