Does anyone know when they'll announce? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does anyone know when they'll announce?

nubka

Final Flight
cianni said:
Most of the skaters are supportive of Michelle.

Maybe they are, and maybe they aren't. Maybe some of them are giving lip service, just spouting the standard party line, because they don't want to be seen as being bad sports...

How could Emily Hughes honestly be "supportive" in this ? She may say that she is, but I'll bet her heart is breaking and her gut is in a knot right now...

Katarina Witt said that after she won the gold medal, Debbie Thomas refused to shake her hand on the podium, and that she (Witt) actually respected her for it. For being true to her feelings, and not hiding it behind some faked display of sportsmanship.

Who knows what Sasha really meant? She probably WAS trying to get a few digs in. If she really feels that Kwan didn't earn her spot, why can't she say it? She might end up looking like a fool, and she will take the heat for it, but it's her choice. We may or may not like what she has to say, but I'd rather have a person be honest (Kwan & others included,) than rattle off some politicaly correct statement, because they want to be seen as a good girl.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
nubka said:
They know that the majority of the public adores Kwan, whether she skates well, not well, or not at all. She has a massive, loyal, fan base to support her.

And there you have it. That is why they want her as a spokesperson/representative for their company because this gal has IT, people love her. You can dis her, insult her fans, and it is NEVER going to change the way we feel about her and it certainly isn't going to make us change our loyalty over to your favorite. Say it loud we're Kwniacs and proud.:biggrin:

Hey lay of of Mary Lou, she's a WV girl.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
First of all, thanks Piel........

Secondly.......
BTW I remember Michelle saying she doesn't know where all her medals are.

Half the time, I don't know where my car keys are.....:rofl:

Thirdly....(Is that a word?)........Paula, is there such a thing as a "sour grapes" icon? I think we need one.........:p 42

nubka said:
Mary Lou Retton has been out of gymnastics for years, but had the same kind of all-American appeal. Even today, she is still in the public eye every now and then...
OT, but did you know that Michelle's business agent, Shep Goldberg, was also Mary Lou Retton's agent? When Michelle came along, Mary Lou felt that she wasn't receiving enough of Mr. Goldberg's attention, and she changed agents. (Not really Goldberg's fault, IMO -- Retton had been out of the public eye for quite a few years at that point, and there wasn't really much Goldberg could do to stoke the embers.)

MM

About whether other skaters are sincere or not in expressing "respect" for Michelle's accomplishments, that's a no-brainer. Anyone who has ever had anything to do with sports at any level knows how hard it is to win a National Championship. They know how much harder it is to win two. To win three...

Tiger Woods has won four Masters. Don't you think his peers on the PGA tour respect that?

Michael Jordan and his teammates won six National Championships. He tells the story of how one time he took his daughter to an ice skating show, and she said, "Dad, you're the Michelle Kwan of basketball." :rock:

MM :)

nubka

Final Flight
Piel said:
And there you have it. That is why they want her as a spokesperson/representative for their company because this gal has IT, people love her. You can dis her, insult her fans, and it is NEVER going to change the way we feel about her and it certainly isn't going to make us change our loyalty over to your favorite. Say it loud we're Kwniacs and proud.:biggrin:

Hey lay of of Mary Lou, she's a WV girl.

I have no problem with that, like whoever you wish. My point was that the all powerful ad execs want her because she represents revenue for them in endorsements. I doubt that it's because of "respect." In this warped world, the dollar always comes before respect...

nubka

Final Flight
Mathman said:
About whether other skaters are sincere or not in expressing "respect" for Michelle's accomplishments, that's a no-brainer. Anyone who has ever had anything to do with sports at any level knows how hard it is to win a National Championship. They know how much harder it is to win two. To win three...MM :)

I don't think it's a no-brainer at all. You can have respect for a person's accomplishments, sure.

I'm sure that Emily's "respect" for Kwan's accomplisments are keep her warm tonight...I'm sure it makes her feel much better about everything...not!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
nubka said:
I have no problem with that, like whoever you wish. My point was that the all powerful ad execs want her because she represents revenue for them in endorsements. I doubt that it's because of "respect." In this warped world, the dollar always comes before respect...

And the reason she represents revenue is because people like her and are willing to buy products she represents. So don't drink coke, watch Disney, or drive a Chevy.

MM this is a lost cause. Everyone is p***** beause they think Kwan has kept some teenager's Olympic dream from coming true:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: All any of them had to do was to skate well enough to convince the committe or secure that U.S. gold medal, and they failed to do that.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
MM this is a lost cause. Everyone is p***** beause they think Kwan has kept some teenager's Olympic dream from coming true All any of them had to do was to skate well enough to convince the committe or secure that U.S. gold medal, and they failed to do that.

Exactly.........my thoughts as well, Piel.............now Paula, what about that "sour grapes" icon? We've nearly got enough here to make some vino!!!!:laugh: 42

swannanoa54

On the Ice
millie said:
I am very sorry, if you took my post out of context.:) With that comment I made "Brown on chocolate" I did not mean it in a derogrative way to you or anyone else. I was refering to the the statement that GoldforMercedes made about fear showing on Sasha's face as the same as white on rice. I made a comment to the effect "Brown on chocolate" with fear on Michelle's face for not having skated. Why didn't you make a comment when GoldforMercedes made that comment about "White on rice" about Sasha. I was talking about the color of fear, nothing else, can't speak for Goldfor Mercedes. Sorry if I offended you.:) :)

Oh, sorry millie, my bad. I wasn't offended by "brown on chocolate" because I've never heard that expression before. I just made the remark as an aside at the end of my post. "White on rice" is actually a very southern expression. It is usually used in comments like "I'm gonna stick to you like white on rice" or "I'm gonna be all over you like white on rice". Now maybe that's intended to strike fear into the hearts of those who are going to be followed around or watched or whatever, but I just think it's kinda funny.

Hey, now I can tell people, "I'm all over that like brown on chocolate (since I love chocolate).":rofl:

Dee, I was disappointed when I saw that SOI wasn't going to be here this year. That's really pathetic. What's with the QWest Center anyway? But I'll go to COI just to see whoever is skating. It's at the Civic Center anyway (and they complain about not getting enough conventions,etc for the QWest center?).