Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
The vote was 20-3 in Michelle's favor.....could have been Mitchell.....Anyway, Michelle as an underdog is always a fighter, so watch out Italy. Best of luck to all three ladies and stay well and healthy.......42
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that some of the committee were recused. I would think that Mitchell may have been one of those.

rob43

On the Ice
I doubt Mitchell would be recused. I followed the link & read the names of those who voted. Can't remember about Mitchell- but Corwin was not listed so she must have been recused. Leaver was listed (who is her bff's coach) as were Jahnke, Danielle Hartsell and someone else I remeber being on a world's team with her.

I was wondering how close or what capacity you were to be recused. Or did they recuse themselves. I would imagine the coach or former coach of any of the top group would step aside as would her brother in law and friends. Also anyone who coaches at Artesia since they would be quasi employees.

Does anyone know who specifically recused themself. From everyone's whining I was expecting more than 3 in opposition. But I guess that's why we're on this board and they are actually voting committee memebers.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
geisha said:
anyway based on both her SP and LP.

Yes, Emily does deserve it because she skated for it and won the bronze medal. Anyway...I'm glad to hear that Emily will be going to Worlds at least. :clap:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
rob43 said:
I doubt Mitchell would be recused. I followed the link & read the names of those who voted. Can't remember about Mitchell- but Corwin was not listed so she must have been recused. Leaver was listed (who is her bff's coach) as were Jahnke, Danielle Hartsell and someone else I remeber being on a world's team with her.

I was wondering how close or what capacity you were to be recused. Or did they recuse themselves. I would imagine the coach or former coach of any of the top group would step aside as would her brother in law and friends. Also anyone who coaches at Artesia since they would be quasi employees.

Does anyone know who specifically recused themself. From everyone's whining I was expecting more than 3 in opposition. But I guess that's why we're on this board and they are actually voting committee memebers.

Mitchell is on the list, but IMO should hve been reused. There were 23 names listed so I take it that those were the 23 that voted. What's the deal with Leaver being Kwan's boyfriend's coach:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . She and Brian are just good friends. Did Brittany McConn ever skate against Kwan? She was on the list.

fscric

On the Ice
I find it perplexing that some posters who do not like Michelle just could not accept the fact that the Bronze medalist has not earned the right to Olympics, no matter how many times other posters explained. One can sympathize with Emily, but please don't carry on how she deserves or has earned the right. This is not a valid argument to stage your dislike of Michelle, use some other points, for example, in your opinion Michelle has inferior technique to Emily, or she's too old and so on, those are your own opinions so others can only disagree but cannot really refute you.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Eldredgefan2001 said:
Yes, Emily does deserve it because she skated for it and won the bronze medal. Anyway...I'm glad to hear that Emily will be going to Worlds at least. :clap:

Ability-wise, Michelle deserves to go because (I'd argue that) at 90% she's still far more competitive than Emily, let alone at 100%, which she intends to be by the Olympics. She was also the reigning US champ and the was the second highest ranked US skater at 2005 Worlds after Cohen.

Rule-book-wise, Michelle deserves to go as there ARE exceptions for unusual circumstances such as this one, which also happened in 1994. Noone is overriding any rule to give Michelle a spot.

Last edited:

IndieBoi

On the Ice
I also found it ironic, watching the clips when the girls were asked their opinions about Michelle getting a bye to the Olympics, the only girl that flat out said Michelle has earned her spot on the team and should go to Turino, earned an Olympic berth herself. Skating gods in action?... :bow:

:) :) :)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
According to ST. Louis Post Distpatch Saturday edition, the following people recused themselfs from voting:

Peter Oppegard
Amber Corwin
Ken Congemi
Joseph Inman
Lorrie Parker
Paula Naughton

The first 3 are obvious, and the last 3 were judges on the ladies panel.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I saw Emily's skate. Even a wounded Michelle would have beaten that hands down, no disrespect to Emily. The young girls did not step up, the bye was an easy call.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Rgirl said:
Maybe the surprise at these Olympics will be that the skater who isn't a surprise will finally win. :)

If you are referring to Michelle, Michelle winning at the Olympics would be a true surprise.

Those listed who were recused would be in favor of Michelle so she lost a lot of votes. Anyway this is not so important. I don't think anyone is surprised and I do feel for people who do not like Kwan being somewhat upset. There were many of us who wanted Kwan to skate in Lillehammer but she was 'shafted'. But that's the way it is in Skateland.

Personally, I don't think she will skate the Olympics and has already spoke to Emilie about practicing hard for it.

I think the team will be finalized by 30 January. Isn't that the deadline to submit to the OIC?

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Personally, I don't think she will skate the Olympics and has already spoke to Emilie about practicing hard for it.

Joe

Do you KNOW something you aren't saying, or is this just a strong feeling? I can't help but feel you may be right, and I would like nothing more than to see Kwan come out blazing...

emma said:
Do you KNOW something you aren't saying, or is this just a strong feeling? I can't help but feel you may be right, and I would like nothing more than to see Kwan come out blazing...
gut feeling, emma. Nothing specific.

Joe

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
STL_Blues_fan said:
According to ST. Louis Post Distpatch Saturday edition, the following people recused themselfs from voting:

Peter Oppegard
Amber Corwin
Ken Congemi
Joseph Inman
Lorrie Parker
Paula Naughton

The first 3 are obvious, and the last 3 were judges on the ladies panel.

Why more votes were missing:

It looks like there was a nasty flu going around. From the STL Post once again,

"The international committee was missing six members when it voted for the ladies Olympic team Saturday night. Most were absent because they were sick."

Yana

soogar

Record Breaker
amykaren said:
Michelle deserves to go if she is ready, Im suprised that theres even any controversy about it. Best of luck to her there! :agree:

Supposedly they looked at 6 events to determine who should go and Michelle had only competed in one of them (4rth place worlds). Evaluating the skating that Michelle produced at Worlds when she was supposedly healthy, do you really think she deserves to go to the games. Or is it okay to blow of the QR in the past two worlds that you skated at if you are Michelle?

R.D.

Record Breaker
She did rebound in the SP and FS and managed to stay in the top 4. Not bad out of 25? 30? competitiors.

(side note: I can't believe of all things I'm defending Kwan. somebody please shoot me)

millie said:
What did I say that was so wrong in my post?
Lurk--to stay hidden, ready to spring out, attack, lie in wait.
Are you a lurker?
Easy on personal attacks. Millie, I think it is your use of the Rofl smilie that gets posters worked up, There doesn't seem to be any reason for them except to debase a skater. Most posters use them when something is funny like a remark by Johnny and not to debase Johnny. Yours seem to represent a joke you made and at the expense of a skater. JMO.

Joe

FreeKatie

On the Ice
From what they said on ABC/ESPN coverage, I took it that Michelle could drop out at any point before the short program draw. So once she is officially named to the team (after USFSA goes to see her skate), two alternates are named, then if any of Sasha, Michelle or Kimmie withrdraws due to sickness or injury, the alternate can replace them. Once they draw a place in the short they cannot be replaced

Also, I beleive they compared MK's 4th finish in worlds to Emily's 3rd finish at junior worlds. I really like Emily but if Kwan is healthy, she is the better choice.

All this is so silly. Nobody had to look at anything for Kwan. Kwan's won enough medals to justify the bye but I think it was more of those voters either liked her or not. It was the popularity contest.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
soogar said:
Supposedly they looked at 6 events to determine who should go and Michelle had only competed in one of them (4rth place worlds). Evaluating the skating that Michelle produced at Worlds when she was supposedly healthy, do you really think she deserves to go to the games. Or is it okay to blow of the QR in the past two worlds that you skated at if you are Michelle?

First, the events were considered in priority order, excluding Nats, with '05 Worlds second on the list (right behind the GPF). Individual GP events are not listed, and, the junior events (where Emily and Kimmie had competed) were the lowest priority events. Second, no one else has done more -- Sasha didn't do GPF, either, Alissa didn't do Worlds. Third, Michelle's scores at Worlds were better than any other American except Sasha.. Also, what the committee was supposed to decide is who had the best chance of getting a medal, Michelle or Emily. That Michelle's chances aren't good does not alter the fact that they are better than Emily's. And finally (and IMO, most important) is that the committee accepted Michelle's invitation for a test skate on Jan 27, so they can see if her programs are competitive. If they are not, she withdraws -- unless she wants the committee to kick her off.