Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Kwan has only missed the GP series which under the rules was her right to do so. D&V, FP&M, and Silvia Fontana are all going to the Olympics

Is Fontana really going ot the olympics? How come she wasn't at Europeans - it was just Kostner and Marchei?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
easygoer13 said:
You're surprised that there's any controversy to it?!?!? Stunning, truly stunning......because you are supposed to EARN your spot in the Olympic trials, and injuries are a part of sports - and the beautiful sport of figure skating is tarnished by the people who run it, yet again.

"Break a leg, Michelle." What a diva!

Last time i checked US nationals is not an Olympic qualifier - the rules are specifically in place to stop it being an Olympics qualifier - something about TV rights and regulations belong to IOC if it is.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Last time i checked US nationals is not an Olympic qualifier - the rules are specifically in place to stop it being an Olympics qualifier - something about TV rights and regulations belong to IOC if it is.

Ant

Dick Button referred to it several times as the "Olympic Qualifier"

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Is Fontana really going ot the olympics? How come she wasn't at Europeans - it was just Kostner and Marchei?

Ant

It is my understanding that she is. As to not being at Europeans, she gets to go because she was the Italian national champion for several years. SOME folks don't have a problem with those types of situations.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Piel said:
It is my understanding that she is. As to not being at Europeans, she gets to go because she was the Italian national champion for several years. SOME folks don't have a problem with those types of situations.

Cool! I hadn't heard how she did at Italian nationals...presumably she had to compete there. Do you know if she's managed to get all of her jumps back?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Dick Button referred to it several times as the "Olympic Qualifier"

It wouldn't be the first time Dick Button got something wrong!

Ant

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Eldredgefan2001 said:
MK has been "missing in action" for the majority of the 4 years since the 2002 Olympics. Now, suddenly she wants to represent the US in the Olympics, when she didn't want to represent them in any of the other international competitions that the USFSA wanted her to compete in.

Emily DID deserve that spot, but that doesn't mean that the US would give it to her. They gave the spot to Michelle, simply because of the endorsement factor and her name. That's all. But, I hope that she HAS recovered from her injuries by the time the Olympics roll around. If not, the media is going to have a field day with this one.

As far as Emily skating a 4 triple program at Nationals, I don't know what that has to do with anything. Who says that same thing would happen at the Olympics? Who says that Michelle Kwan will come out and skate the way her fans are praying she will (or any other skater for that matter)? No one knows, and I really don't care anymore. This entire thing is beginning to make my stomach turn. Can't wait until this season is over. BRING ON THE NEW SEASON!
This entire spiteful rant is completely meaningless coming from a fan of Todd Eldredge. I like and respect Eldredge very much, but nobody can claim that he was all over the Grand Prix between 1998 and 2002, and the GP events are the only thing Kwan has missed until she was injured. I know it must infuriate you whenever anyone says that Eldredge did not deserve to go to the 2002 Olympics, since he went with the intention to win a medal but was unsuccessful. If not, I'm sure you have forgiven him for taking a younger skater's spot and 2002 National title by now, the way you have no intention of forgiving Kwan. I don't think I need to mention 1992.

I have no reason in the world to believe that you hope anything but the worst for Kwan and the huge feeding your ego would get from it. I know from reading your posts here and MKF that you seem to have a problem with everything about Kwan, and are most likely hoping that she will still be too injured to make it to Torino. Please do not insult people's intelligence by claiming differently.

easygoer13 said:
"Break a leg, Michelle." What a diva!
I hope for your sake that the Karma Fairy doesn't get you or your favorite skater.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well said Jimmy Hoffa! The Karma Fairey is certainly going to be busy.

EldridgeFan - Your feeling that Emily deserves to go to the Olys is not unlike my feeling that Mao should go to the Olys. However, the rules for Mao is age and that there should be no exceptions. Too bad for Mao who has the potential to win.

The USFS allows the winner of it's Nats prior to an Olympic to be on the Team. Other placements are approved separately. For the USFS to have picked Kimmie and Michelle is within their right. No rule was broken.

Our feelings are usurped by the rules.

Joe

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I strongly disagreed with sending Michelle to the Olympics. I think her days are over, to be honest. Sasha, Kimmie and Emily should go because they are now the three best skaters in America.