The U.S. Olympic team has just been announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The U.S. Olympic team has just been announced

new_europe2006

Rinkside
soogar said:
Well this Kwan-disliker thinks that Michelle is going to embarrass herself that the Games and earn a wave of dislike to pushing out a healthy competitor from the team.

Just keep telling yourself that b/c it's not going to happen.

sk8er1964 said:
The opinions I heard from everyone I talked with this weekend, who are not involved in anyway in figure skating (but are somewhat knowledgeable, because they're involved in hockey), is that it is a travesty that MK got placed on the Olympic team.
Go Michigan hockey, LOL.

I have been thinking some more on this issue of who deserves what. This is what I think.

For winning nine U.S. Championships, Michelle Kwan deserves nine gold medals.

For winning five World Championships and for standing on the podium twice at the Olympics, Michelle deserves the medals that she won.

For placing third at 2006 U.S. Nationals, Emily Hughes deserves a bronze medal.

For skating lights out at 2005 Worlds and at 2005 Cup of China and Cup of Russia, Irina Slutskaya deserves the three gold medals that she won.

OK, Old Business is over.

Any New Business? Oh yes, selection of the 2006 U.S. Olympic team.

To me, there are three considerations: the rules, precedents, and the overarching mission of sending the best possible team to Torino.

In terms of rules and precedents, there is sufficient wiggle room for the USFS International Committee to do pretty much whatever they want. So it comes down to the finding the strongest team. By going with Michelle, with Emilie as the first alternate, they are buying some time. We'll know more in a couple of weeks about Michelle's fitness to soldier on. No need to freak yet.

Mathman :)

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Umm- where did I say it was "unfair"? Perhaps a Kwan fan should think for a sec before going on a gut reaction. All I said is that all that matters is that she's capable NOW, and the past doesn't matter. What does that have to do with anything being "unfair"? In fact, after reading the terms of her petition it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Put every thing in context. Read the posts you respond to, and the prviouse posts those posts respond to. :cool:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Mathman said:
But the only thing wrong with that plan is that Michelle might end up being bumped by Tenley Albright. :)

Doggygirl, thanks for that interesting and down-to-earth perspective. We do take ourselves a little too seriously here, LOL.

MM :)

LMBO:rofl: , MM, I love your sense of humor :laugh:

Vash01

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
............All this just to say that this topic, from my POV, seems far more controversial and emotional on the disucssion boards and in the media than it seemed live and in person among just "regular fans."

I'm remaining confident that all parties involved including MK will make the best decisions for the team as MK's recovery continues to unfold. (Joe, ITA that I trust MK to do the right thing, whatever that turns out to be.)

DG

People are often more open in expressing their feelings and opinions on discussion boards than in person because nobody can see them. They feel a lot freer. That may be why you did not hear much at the nationals. However, the group I sat with had very strong opinions on the subject, and some skaters were also in favor of Kwan going.

That is just another perspective.

Vash

Look at it this way.

Shizuka Arakawa, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri
Irina Slutskaya
Joannie Rochette
Sasha Cohen, Kimmie Meissner
Susanna Poykio
Carolina Kostner

Given the above list where does Emilie Hughes fit in? She doesn't make the US team a strong team. This is not a bias of me towards Emilie. It just isn't her time for an Oly medal, imo. Of course, the experience would be great for her. Her international competitions have not been good, and a good one here would boost her up in the eyes of the judges.

Unless there are several melt downs of the above list, I just don't see Emilie as a medal contender.

As for Kwan, well.....Kwan is Kwan is Kwan,and the international judges will place her in the last group to skate.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Where was Matt........looks like an official snapshot.............42

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
show 42 said:
........:eek: 42

lol, that's Matt. I don't think he always gets the inside info from people about where to go and what to do.

He was extremely shy around me, and vice versa, so that was interesting, lol! He's a sweetiepie. :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Well this Kwan-disliker thinks that Michelle is going to embarrass herself that the Games and earn a wave of dislike to pushing out a healthy competitor from the team.

I was wondering about this over the weekend ... because having read Soogar's posts regarding Emily over the past few months, I really paid attention to her at this year's nationals and had to admit (even though I feared immediate death....) Soogar was right. Her skating in the short was awesome with good edges and lots of power. I prayed she'd have a good skate in the long and finish 2nd. Unfortuntaly, this didn't happen & she fell to 3rd. For whatever reason.

Now, having said that, where do you think Emily'd end up at the Games & what would be considered an embarrasement by Kwan? More importantly, based on the scores given to Sasha, do you really think that a 80% Kwan would've scored lower than Emily? And no, its not fair to remove politics from your answer as this is figure skating...

My point is this: these ladies knew that in order to make a case for themselves if they won a bronze medal, they would need to suck it up and perform. We all knew when she withdrew from Nationals that Kwan would be named to the team, unless something dramatic happened... it didn't. Why all the drama now?
Because its not "fair?" Can something NOT be fair, when its inevitable?

I'm with Piel, just like the skaters, the fans need to pull on their big girl tights & let it go because you already knew what would happen...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, here's Emily's PCS scores from Nationals for a messy FS:
7.32 7.04 7.25 7.21 7.25 Nationals FS

Compare that to what Emily got for a CLEAN FS at Jr. Worlds:
6.29 5.96 6.29 6.21 6.21 Jr. Worlds 2005 FS
and Emily's best FS at the GP:
5.65 5.40 5.65 5.65 5.55 SA FS (one fall)

Now compare those scores to Kwan's FS at 2005 Worlds, which was
NOT a CoP-friendly program:
7.68 7.18 7.39 7.39 7.46 Worlds 2005 (1 fall)

Kwan does not underrotate jumps and is far more consistent than Emily.

Emily will not get PCS scores in the 7s at Torino. The best she can expect is mostly low sixes, as she got at Junior Worlds. That puts her 1.25 per component lower than Kwan, which adds up to an 11+ point difference for the FS. For Kwan to score lower than Emily, she'd have to complete only 2 or 3 triples. Kwan will not compete if that is all she can do.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I really admire Emily Hughes' skating, but I can understand why they sent Kimmie. I don't think she is as polished, but she has the 3/3 and the 3axel (which I hope she goes for in the Olympics - what does she have to lose?)
and it will be a great learning experience for Kimmie. There is still a good chance MK won't be able to skate so Emily might get her chance (although I hope that is not the case b/c I want MK to skate, but only like Katarina said - if she is going to skate, then she should go for it).

Kwan, do the 3/3 even if you fall! At this point, there is no point to hold back. Go out with a bang!

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Shucks, we are stuck with Kwan at yet another Olympic games. I think I will be taking a bathroom break while she skates and I will do the honor of waving the Russian flag while she skates in honor of her royal highness Irina Slutskaya, who I want to win the gold. If the judges are retarded to give Michelle the gold I won't watch figure skating anymore because there will be atleast 20 ladies that are better skaters than her competing against her, even Tatiana Navka has higher jumps than Michelle and Elvis Stojko has better flexibility. I don't see her appeal and I hope the Olympics are a rude awakening for Michelle. Go Irina, Go Carolina, Go Sasha!

bronxgirl

Medalist
what may be a bathroom break for you may be a point of great anticipation for many others. Different strokes for different folks. The ice is slippery, you never know who will have the clean program or a great skate, so if your favorite doesn't win, it may not be because of "retarded judges";)

chuckm said:
Well, here's Emily's PCS scores from Nationals for a messy FS:
7.32 7.04 7.25 7.21 7.25 Nationals FS

Compare that to what Emily got for a CLEAN FS at Jr. Worlds:
6.29 5.96 6.29 6.21 6.21 Jr. Worlds 2005 FS
and Emily's best FS at the GP:
5.65 5.40 5.65 5.65 5.55 SA FS (one fall)
Thanks for looking up these numbers, Chuck.

This is a little off topic for this thread, but to me, this just shows what a farce the so-called "objectivity" of the New Judging System is. According to the ISU propaganda there are supposed to be well-defined criteria for PCSs just like technical scores. Judges are supposed to undergo training so that they can tell the difference between good transitions and bad transitions, good choreography and bad choreography, etc.

What do the USFS judges think they are accomplishing by giving everyone a 1.5 gift across the board, compared to international standards? Do they think these ridiculously inflated scores will impress the intenational judging panels at the Olympics and Worlds? (No, because those judges can watch tapes just like we can).

Do they think Irina will be scared because the U.S. judges gave Sasha 199 points for a 170-point performance? :disagree:

MM

Last edited:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I always tape everything, even as I am watching, cuz it never fails - the minute I step away to make myself a sandwich, next thing ya know the crowd's on its feet, or somebody's being rushed to a hospital. If you step away, I highly advise you pop a tape in first, cuz if Kwan is a debacle, you might want to watch it later.