Sasha Cohen was breathtaking | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen was breathtaking

Rgirl said:
It's all just opinion anyway when it comes to Sasha and Michelle's personalities and also what kind of personalites people prefer. Nationals are over. Michelle couldn't go because of injury. Sasha won with two "good enough" performances but IMO far from great programs. I've seen her skate much better. People can continue to post what they want, of course, but I hope people who weren't there will leave this old, old subject to the ages.
Brava, R! :rock:

(I hope you haven't been reading my Insane Kwaniac Posse posts on all these threads about the Olympic selection committee. I promise to do better...I really mean it this time. ;) )

MM

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
This is ridiculous! What is mean about saying I don't like someone? Geez I'm not Switzerland, I'm allowed to dislike somone. I tried to state my feelings in the nicest way possible. Is there suddenly a new rule that no negative opinions can be posted about Sasha? I think that it's very unfair that just because there are more Kwaniacs we are supposed to not be as vocal in our support so that fans of skaters that aren't as popular won't feel bad. And THAT is the position GS seems to have taken during the last year. What's next, a rule allowing only so many Kwan fans to register or be online at any one time? I am sure if someone went back and counted they would find that Kwan has been picked apart many more times than Sasha has over their respective careers.

Last edited:
In spite of her Flu, Sasha did very well but certainly not up to par. I enjoyed her performance, and she certainly deserved to win. IMO, she would not beat a healthy Irina with this performance but a healthy Sasha might.:thumbsup:

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
for those that saw it live, I'm wondering what you felt about Sasha's new music cuts and choreo...on tv, imo, it really made a not so inspiring to me program seem really, really interesting. From my couch, she definitely looked cautious, and also quite pale (ill), but at the same time more secure in the long program than I have seen in a while...peggy or someone said she seems to really believe in this program and I must admit I got that feeling watching her on tv. Just wondering what you all think of the changes she made from a viewing live perspective.

emma said:
for those that saw it live, I'm wondering what you felt about Sasha's new music cuts and choreo...on tv, imo, it really made a not so inspiring to me program seem really, really interesting. From my couch, she definitely looked cautious, and also quite pale (ill), but at the same time more secure in the long program than I have seen in a while...peggy or someone said she seems to really believe in this program and I must admit I got that feeling watching her on tv. Just wondering what you all think of the changes she made from a viewing live perspective.
The changes are fine but I just don't dig the music. It's so bland and obvious, imo.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vash01 said:
and she deserved to win the gold in this weak field. I don't believe the flu was a factor. She had no competition because of Michelle's absenceVash
I wasn't aware that our US ladies field was so week as you put it. By gosh, no wonder Sasha won. I think she had a lot of competition with or without Michelle.

Dee

Dee, I think strong or weak is a relative term. IMHO the rest of the field was weak compared to what Sasha put out there. Sasha was head and shoulders above the field, so in that sense she did not face any serious competition.

The field that Sasha competed against at Nationals was also weak compared to the international standards that will be in place in Torino. She will have to come out blazing.

MM :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Here goes for my live opinion....

I wish I had other "live" performances to compare this one too since I've often read comments from posters who attend a lot of events, and seem very objective say that certain qualities of Sasha's come off better over TV than live. Speed and flow over the ice (related to edges) are the big ones that come to mind in terms of TV v. Live.

I believe Sasha was definitely not feeling 100%, and I base that on having watched the SP and FS practices at the Savvis center. For the SP practice, she did very little, and only slightly more at the FS practice. I did not get a sense that this is a "work ethic" issue or anything like that. My impression from being there is that there are nearly as many judges and media people in the rink for practices as there are fans. (meaning this is lightly attended by fans). It seems like an opportunity to "show your stuff" to media and judges through both program run throughs, and individual element practice. I have a hard time imagining that Sasha wouldn't have better capitalized on this opportunity had she been feeling better. I saw no triples in the SP practice (and IIRC, maybe not any doubles - hardly any jumping at all). In the FS practice, she only did a few triples that I saw, and those were towards the very end of the session. Of course there is a lot going on during practice, so it's easy to miss things. Both practices just seemed extremely light to me, lending credence in my mind to the notion that she was not feeling well. Maybe someone who has seen her in practice for other events can comment.

Considering the practices, I give her a ton of credit for executing the jumps in her SP and FS as well as she did. I realize that Sasha's many interesting positions that relate to her flexibility are not everyone's cup of tea. I personally found her positions amazing. Those are a big factor that sets her apart from the others, and make her truly unique and memorable. I really like the changes in music cuts that she / David made. I suppose I was disappointed by the ice coverage aspects (that speed and flow thing :)). However several people commented, who have seen her live before, that she was a little off of her "normal" there - the speculation of course being the flu bug causing it. She was the class of the field by a long shot in my opinion.

DG

anniemg

Rinkside
Piel said:
What's not to understand? I think Sasha seems like selfish, self centered, spoiled little girl. It may or may not be true but that's how she comes across to me. I have seen Michelle cry... when she didn't skate her best which I think is more important to her than a medal. Again that may or may not be true, but that's how she comes across to me. I am not saying Michelle is a better person than Sasha. What I'm saying is I like what I've seen of Michelle's personality better than what I've seen of Sasha's personality. I also appreciate Michelle more because it has been a more difficult struggle for her than Sasha. Sasha has way more physical capabilities and has had a much easier time financially than Michelle at the beginning of their careers. You are wrong in saying that Sasha has been put down more than any skater you've ever seen because it is simply not true. Kwan has bee put down for 12 years or so now...much longer than Sasha. I do hope that Sasha has something better to do than read this..like practiing for the Olympics. I am not being mean to Sasha, I am simply stating my opinion of what I've seen of her....don't like her personality and don't get drawn into her skating. With Kwan I like her personlity and like her skating. Understand?

You're not saying that Michelle is a better person than Sasha but you do say that Sasha seems like a selfish, self-centered spoiled little girl? There's a contradiction in that I think..plus, who are you to judge anyone? Being a fan of a skater doesnt mean you should criticize their personality, because you dont know them at all. Sasha might come out as arrogant, but she could be the kindest person there is. Michelle could seem kind and be the opposite. We dont know anything about who they are and what they are doing. Just because Sasha had more money doesnt mean you should appreciate her less.

In general, you're being very mean.

Just my opinion.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just piping in to agree that Sasha was breathtaking! At least she took MY breath away and that's all that counts to me! :love: Congrats Sasha! :rock:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
How many times do I have to tell that I am not being mean? If you took the trouble to check you will see that I have defended Sasha several times in the last couple of days. It is not mean spirited it say that you think someone SEEMS selfish and spoiled. I say the same thing about my sister and I love her dearly. Now, if I wanted to be mean I would accuse SC of lying about having the flu or trying to milk being sick. But I didn't. I took up for her. Where are all of you on some of the other threads where skaters are called trashy and skanks because of their costumes.....that is being mean.

And why is it not OK for me to admire Kwan more because it seems to have been more of a struggle for her to have the resources to skate? It is quite common to admire those who struggle more than those who come by things more easily.

Everything on these boards is OPINION of the posters. The last time I checked there was no rule about stating OPINION. Nor was there a rule that all opinions had to be positive.

Now I have explained to you the best I can that I am not being mean to Sasha so I would appreciate it if you would please quit calling me a liar. When you say that I am being mean after I have stated clearly that is not my INTENT you are calling me a liar.

I have said this before and I will say it again. It blows my mind that people on this board think it is awful for someone to give a negative opinion of a skater. They are celebrity-athletes, public figures and therefore open to critique and public opinion positive and negative. OTOH you all attack posters who are your PEERS on this board without giving it a second thought.

Any further discussion of this can be directed to me by PM.

rain

Record Breaker
Thanks Doggygirl for your live impressions. I actually did get the sense just watching from TV that Cohen wasn't as fast as usual (showed particularly in her spiral sequence - positions, of course, were spectacular). I put that down to her being ill. Overall, it didn't leave me disappointed in her program, however. It still shone.

I'm a bit disappointed this thread seems to have degenerated somewhat into a Kwan vrs. Cohen thing. It seems largely unneccessary to me to even mention Kwan in a thread about a performance by Cohen at an event Kwan wasn't even entered in. (By the way, I am a fan of Kwan as well as Cohen). The thread was about what I thought was a very inspiring performance by the new American ladies champion.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel........I totally agree in your defense of your comments. You are NOT mean-spirited in your personal opinion comments and never have been and we have been on this board for many years.............:thumbsup: 42

Peggy

On the Ice
It is the personal attacks that I think are unfair. I like the way Sasha skates and I can see she puts a lot of time into perfecting her technique which is already amazing. I don't know her but I got an autograph from her and she appeared shy and gracious to me. I also think the press/commentator bashing she gets for falling hurts her and makes her scared to fall which hurts her programs. She does some amazing things and she just won Nationals with the flu & even if her program was not perfect, she deserved the gold. Most of the press has been about Sasha's falls and Michelle and she wasn't even there so that should make her fans happy.

Michelle has had an amazing career and I hope she can step up to the plate in the new system. It appears with her injuries that she has been trying to push the envelope and I admire her for that. If she can improve her spins and whatever
else she needs to do and still skate a perfectly clean program, I'll be thrilled for her. I know she wants more than a clean skate or she wouldn't be trying to up her difficulty.

I don't think it is fair to attack a skater personally because you don't like her skating. That is what really gets to me and not just for Sasha but for all skaters.
That is all I have to say on this subject.

R.D.

Record Breaker
DG, Joe- thanks for the "live" opinions. On TV I actually got a similar impression. She deserved her win here (no one came even close) but I do think that if she performs the way she did here, she might still be in contention for an Olympic medal. Now if she wants the OGM she's going to have to do better than that to challenge Irina, et al. but I think she's in a good position right now.

And reading the title of this thread, it was only a matter of time before it became Kwan vs. Cohen. So they have different "on-air" personalities, one shows more "grace", the other more "ambition". It's up to the person who likes who better.

Piel- I know you're one of the more level-headed Kwan fans here and you don't mean to be mean, but I must agree with the others- although I think 3-4 years ago I'd have agreed with you- "spoiled" is a strong word to use- hence the accusations of you being "mean". IMO, you're basically saying (in a "nicer" way) that she's a spoiled brat. Maybe you don't mean that. But that's just my impression. Some may even consider that bashing.

If another poster referred to Kwan the same way, the fans would be on him/her like white on rice.

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
All fine, but just remember this: Although both the 1998 and 2002 Oly champions were Americans, in neither case was the winner the reigning US champ. So, if an American wins the Olympics...would it be Kwan or Meissner? :scratch:

Well the only person who was put on the team who medalled was Kerrigan, and she didn't have a training injury. Eldredge did horrible and I suspect Kwan will too. Bowman eeked out a bronze medal at worlds and was in the midst of his downward spiral.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
What's not to understand? I think Sasha seems like selfish, self centered, spoiled little girl. It may or may not be true but that's how she comes across to me. I have seen Michelle cry... when she didn't skate her best which I think is more important to her than a medal. Again that may or may not be true, but that's how she comes across to me. I am not saying Michelle is a better person than Sasha. What I'm saying is I like what I've seen of Michelle's personality better than what I've seen of Sasha's personality. I also appreciate Michelle more because it has been a more difficult struggle for her than Sasha. Sasha has way more physical capabilities and has had a much easier time financially than Michelle at the beginning of their careers. You are wrong in saying that Sasha has been put down more than any skater you've ever seen because it is simply not true. Kwan has bee put down for 12 years or so now...much longer than Sasha. I do hope that Sasha has something better to do than read this..like practiing for the Olympics. I am not being mean to Sasha, I am simply stating my opinion of what I've seen of her....don't like her personality and don't get drawn into her skating. With Kwan I like her personlity and like her skating. Understand?

See , and I think the real Kwan and her family are greedy people and are only out to make a buck. Thus Michelle's carefully maintained image since she's been in the public eye since she was 12. Plus Michelle started making money in this sport since she was 12. Sasha may be from a privileged background (as are a great majority of the competitors) but I think Michelle's support from the USFS more than makes up for that advantage.

Kasey

Medalist
I credit Sasha for having two reletively clean, although I think uninspired, programs. Perhaps that was the illness, I don't know. But I agree with those who have posted who say her skating leaves them cold. And I don't feel at all unfortunate or "missing out" on not getting the whole Cohen thing. I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy and appreciate a lot of other skaters, and don't really care if I don't enjoy Sasha. It's figure skating, different strokes for different folks.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Piel- I know you're one of the more level-headed Kwan fans here and you don't mean to be mean, but I must agree with the others- although I think 3-4 years ago I'd have agreed with you- "spoiled" is a strong word to use- hence the accusations of you being "mean". IMO, you're basically saying (in a "nicer" way) that she's a spoiled brat. Maybe you don't mean that. But that's just my impression. Some may even consider that bashing.
Spoiled yes, brat no. IMO you can be one without the other. To me a brat is someone who is rude, bullying, mean spirited, and annoying. I don't think Sasha is any of those things. To bash is to attack. I have not attacked her. I have stated my opinion of her personality. Now if we are not allowed to voice negative comments then what point is there in having a discussion? Someone needs to explain why nothing negative can be said about Sasha, because negative comments are allowed about other skaters all over this board. They are not being stated as opinion either but as flat out statements as if they are fact....why is a difference being made?