Sasha Cohen was breathtaking | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen was breathtaking

soogar said:
I think the real Kwan and her family are greedy people.
Oh, come on now, Soogar. Sure, the Kwans are Proud, Wrathful, Gluttonous, Lustful, Envious and Slothful. But Greedy?

MM :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks ((((((Cianni and RGal))))))):) .

I feel bad that Sasha's celebratory thread was hijacked and that I had a part in it. My intent was to post the picture of "Kwan on fire" as a joke to Millie. On my computer that pic of Kwan is so bad that she looks orange around the edges as if she's ready to burst into flames. Obviously some folks did not get the joke. I think that we all need to be more careful about posting something negative about a skater in a thread that is a tribute to them. Maybe it would have been better to have started another thread "Why Sasha's Skating Leaves Me Cold". That way those who want to celebrate Sasha's win could post in one thread and those who weren't happy with her skating could have posted in the other.

passion

On the Ice
millie said:
In my part of the country, when you are feeling cold, you put on a sweater or sit beside the fire when you're watching figure skating. Then when you're favourite skater skates, you take you're sweater of when you start to feel warm. It works for me.

That is so hillarious!!!! You just cracked me right up. I will probably be taking on and putting on my sweater a number of times when I watch the Olympics. lol.

Piel said:

I feel bad that Sasha's celebratory thread was hijacked and that I had a part in it. My intent was to post the picture of "Kwan on fire" as a joke to Millie. On my computer that pic of Kwan is so bad that she looks orange around the edges as if she's ready to burst into flames. Obviously some folks did not get the joke. I think that we all need to be more careful about posting something negative about a skater in a thread that is a tribute to them. Maybe it would have been better to have started another thread "Why Sasha's Skating Leaves Me Cold". That way those who want to celebrate Sasha's win could post in one thread and those who weren't happy with her skating could have posted in the other.
This post is why you are indeed our beloved Piel. I had to disagree with you, but I certainly hope it didn't come off as a personal attack, which I would feel deserving of a real life kick in the butt if I did. I edited my post to try to make sure the wording wasn't inappropriate.

Thank you for explaining your joke about the Michelle photo. I was one of the people who didn't get it. I thought, "Oh, here we go. Another Sasha vs. Michelle thread. Yuck!"

I think your idea about starting another thread for people who dislike Sasha. Perhaps an alternate title to "Why Sasha Leaves Me Cold" could be, "Why Sasha Leaves Me Unable to Breathe and Needing CPR." :biggrin:

I think people have the right to say whatever they want about any skater, within the GS guidelines, but perhaps after a skater has won the National Championship and someone starts what is basically a congratulatory thread, starting a thread who don't like the skater who won would be more appropriate than turning the congratulatory thread into some ugly comments about both the winner and a skater who wasn't there because of injury. I realize emotions get high around Nationals and especially high when they are the Olympic trials, but that's JMHO.

Now when it comes to The Edge and threads about Sasha or Michelle, then I say comments about both skaters, or other skaters, come under the "All's fair in love and war" category.:)

If I were a teacher, I'd give you a gold star, Piel, for this last post. Very few posters would take the time to explain what was intended to be a joke that obviously most people didn't get. And I can say from experience, that you don't have a mean bone in your body. A lot of funny ones, but not a single mean one.

Big Hugs,
Rgirl

P.S. And thanks to our beloved Realtorgal, who we've missed very much, for her post defending Piel.:)

millie

Medalist
Piel said:

Piel, I respect your posts and opinions and enjoy reading them.:) I read your post enough that I know that you are not a mean person and you are honest in your opinions. By the way, I enjoyed your joke and it was not at the expense of the skater.

I was accused by a mod. on the thread "Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olympics" of making a joke at the expense of a skater and of debasing Michelle. Also personal attacks on that skater. I made the Forrest Gump comment-which in my mind, was not a personal attack on Michelle. People take things very seriously on these threads and you have to watch your P'S and Q's. If the mods. had to istep in and "call out a poster", everytime someone -hit on Sasha, their would not be any posters left on this forum. But it seems that it's alright to debase one skater but not another.(which I did not do).

I will try to refrain from posting any comments until the Olympics that way I won't be accused by Joe of debasing anyone.

Catch you later:) :)

soogar said:
See , and I think the real Kwan and her family are greedy people and are only out to make a buck.

Soogar - Careful with those kind of comments about any skater's family.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just read a VERY interesting comment from someone who was in St. Louis re. Cohen (posts on the SkateFans yahoo group):

Although I am a MK admirer, I am not a Cohen hater. I
went to Nationals knowing Sasha would win and happy
for her. I was surprised however at the sort of lack
of audience support she received in St. Louis. During
practices and warm-ups the other skaters received
hollers and screams by the enthusiastic audience - but
not so much Sasha. You could actually hear the
difference. It wasn't silent - but a noticible
difference. Why? I was sitting with several friends
who share my mentality of clapping for each skater and
we just couldn't figure it out. We also wondered if
she noticed it - and unfortunately we think she did.

VERY interesting! Can anyone here who went to Nationals attest to this/back this up? Sorry to switch this thread back to a "negative" once again, but this comment really peaked my interest.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I loved watching Sasha all week. You could definitely tell she was fighting the flu, but she brought it together when it counted most. I've not been a fan of hers until this year when I fell in love with her Romeo and Juliet... but I can't wait to see her skate in torino...GO SASHA! :bow:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I just read a VERY interesting comment from someone who was in St. Louis re. Cohen (posts on the SkateFans yahoo group):

VERY interesting! Can anyone here who went to Nationals attest to this/back this up? Sorry to switch this thread back to a "negative" once again, but this comment really peaked my interest.

I don't think it was negative so much as people were waiting to see what would happen. By the ladies long she DID get a big applause, especially at the end and during the awards... and then again at the exhibition... but it was something a lot of us talked about in the stands all week. :(

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Isn't it just good manners to appalud all of the performers? That said you can't control how people respond to a performer or their performance. An audience is naturally going to give more applause to their favorites or as in Stephanie Rosenthal's .case a performance that they especially appreciate. If people withheld applause to be petty that was just rude. IMO all of the medalist should receive a standing O.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they all did at teh medals ceremony, Piel

it wasn't so much that it was quiet, it just wasn't as loud as you'd expect. She certainly got a louder response in Portland... then again I wonder if it was more the fans having the feeling of a need to "compete" against the MK fans *shrugs*

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hmmm....

I think part of the applause volume question might depend on where one was sitting. I was in what I think was a rather "neutral" section - not a lot of people from a particular club, or not a lot of parents of competitors. I did not make notice of what occured to me would be a "cold" or "modest" reception for Sasha. But then again, I'm a first timer at this.

Actually, I thought the most exhuberant applause happened more in the Jr. events and/or for the "up and comers." For some of those folks, there seemed to be a lot of club level support. There may not have been the "numbers" of people, but they made it be known that they all have healthy vocal chords LOL!

DG

nymkfan51

Medalist
I was there for all the practices and sitting in the 2nd row. I definitely noticed the difference in applause for Sasha, as opposed to the other ladies. Can't explain why really, since she was clearly the favorite to win. I myself, did not find her breathtaking. She was deservedly the winner and she always makes a beautiful picture on the ice, but there is just something missing there that I can't put my finger on. Even when she won ... yes people applauded and cheered, but it had nowhere near the excitement as I would have expected. I clapped for her, but never felt inclined to yell and cheer for her as I did for others.
I know she was sick and her practices were a bit limited ... so maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know.
It was a lovely performance ... definitely improved from TEB ... but she had better find a solution to those nasty little mistakes, otherwise she won't be taking the gold in Torino. But then again, Irina 's got that in the bag anyway. ;)

Peggy

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
I loved watching Sasha all week. You could definitely tell she was fighting the flu, but she brought it together when it counted most. I've not been a fan of hers until this year when I fell in love with her Romeo and Juliet... but I can't wait to see her skate in torino...GO SASHA! :bow:

Thanks for the reports from Nationals.
I love Sasha's Romeo and Juliet also and I can't wait to see her skate it when she is well. The Olympics are going to be exciting this year. You can never count out the American ladies for the gold.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I saw it live and it was anything but breath taking. It was a good performance, and she deserved to win the gold in this weak field. I don't believe the flu was a factor. She had no competition because of Michelle's absence, and the retirement of other more mature ladies. So it was Sasha against the young teenagers and clearly she was the best of the group. When I read some of the adjectives used in other posts (e.g. magnificent, breath taking, etc.), that's not how I see her. She has a flexible body and she uses her extensions very well to create a beautiful form on the ice. She is not someone with great edges or power. The jumps are still shaky, and I don't see that changing. There is no power in her jumps or her skating and it will show up when she competes against the likes of Slutskaya or even Arakawa. However, she was destined to win this one, with all the obstacles removed by fate (the main one being Michelle). I am not going to go into the what ifs. She skated well enough to win this one. There is no denying her beauty but I don't see her as a great skater. Her scores were ridiculously high, particularly for the LP. We saw inflated scores in the mens event too, and feds often do that at their nationals to boost the confidence of their skaters and to send a message to rest of the world.

Vash

Sasha got a standing ovation. She moved some people-right to their feet.:clap:

cianni

On the Ice
Really

Im sure she did . The field was filled with little girls ladysarahchatto a pure splatfest. Sasha stayed on her feet but still didnt skate a clean program. She was the best of a bad lot. Lets just move on its over and opinions wont change some think shes breathtaking some dont. The outcome wont change its over.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
cianni said:
Im sure she did . The field was filled with little girls ladysarahchatto a pure splatfest. Sasha stayed on her feet but still didnt skate a clean program. She was the best of a bad lot. Lets just move on its over and opinions wont change some think shes breathtaking some dont. The outcome wont change its over.

Though, on what began as a Sasha gush thread, posters like ladysarahchatto (welcome, by the way!:)) should still be able to chime in with their positive feelings...no? Those who wish to move on can move on; how about giving the rest a break?

Cheers,
sarah m.

Red Dog said:
I was there RD. Sasha has always gotten a big crowd applause at Nats (I've been to 3 now). She has quite a fan base. I think the crowd knowing she was ill gave her a very big warm applause, including Kwan fans. I found that quite nice. She deserved the positive crowd response.

One has to remember, America is a very diverse nation and no one skater will be numero uno as a State icon - not like Lambiel in Switzerland where the whole country thinks the world of him.

Joe